Sheffield sportsgrounds.

Remember when the major steel firms,and others,all had a great sportsground.

Remember when the major steel firms,and others,all had a great sportsground.

Sure do, remember playing at ESC, on Shiregreen Lane... spectators all round the pitch, I was playing for atlas and Norfolk. drew 2-2. shower after the game, then pie and peas.. thought I was at Wembley.

Remember Sheffield Twist Drill at Jordanthorpe now fallen into a mess

Metro Vicks had a sports ground on Bawtry Road in the 60s

S.C.C.E Olive Grove.

Arthur Lees now Middlewood Jnrs at Handsworth

Post Office ground now Parsley Hay estate Handsworth

Edgar Allens Bawtry Road

Sheffield Transport at Meadowhead (?) was something like sports ground. Firth-Brown's (Atlas & Norfolk grounds) at Shirecliffe Road, at least two flat football pitches and farther back in to Roe Woods, a cricket field with a pavilion, also a licenced club that was open regular pub hours. I think some of the grounds are what became Sheffield United's academy.

---------- Post added 27-04-2018 at 17:11 ----------

Arthur Lees now Middlewood Jnrs at Handsworth

Post Office ground now Parsley Hay estate Handsworth

Edgar Allens Bawtry Road

I think Bawtry Road had a few of them ?

Edited by St Petre
add

One Sheffield firm had a football pitch behind Owlerton Stadium in the sixties I forget which,it was used daily by Sheffield Wednesday for training!.In those days they didn't have a training ground,the players had to walk down Penistone Road carrying the ,caseballs in net sacks from the stadium across the dog track car park to the pitch and back again when training finished!.As kids we nicked many balls off them as they never bothered to count up when they packed in for the day!.

Sure do, remember playing at ESC, on Shiregreen Lane... spectators all round the pitch, I was playing for atlas and Norfolk. drew 2-2. shower after the game, then pie and peas.. thought I was at Wembley.

Played my first game for Hillsborough Boys Club on this ground versus English steel under 18s.

Great ground and for me a majic moment.

Jessop savilles used to have a very good ground on Eccelsfield common. Played and Refereed at most of them very sad now to see them

One Sheffield firm had a football pitch behind Owlerton Stadium in the sixties I forget which,it was used daily by Sheffield Wednesday for training!.In those days they didn't have a training ground,the players had to walk down Penistone Road carrying the ,caseballs in net sacks from the stadium across the dog track car park to the pitch and back again when training finished!.As kids we nicked many balls off them as they never bothered to count up when they packed in for the day!.

Did that training ground -which the Owls used until 1966- belong to the Power station ?

A few of the grounds I played cricket on were Brown Bayleys on Olivers Mount,BSC,Aurora,Phoenix on Bawtry Rd,Dormer Tools later Boundary Club at Jordanthorpe,Civil Service Ecclesfield,Davy Loewy Darnall all great venues.