Best University? Sheffield or Hallam?

But both view the item differently is my point, so one may claim he was overcharged, o rindeed 'fleeced' for a suit, the other may see it as a fine price.

As you say though- it's different to versace chargin different prices based on wealth- which is what universities do. Are all international fees the same, or are the prices different depending on which international country the student comes from? I don't know on that one.

---------- Post added 01-05-2018 at 14:08 ----------

No one is accusing anyone of any ilegal activity, as has been made clear. That has never been suggested- universities are free to charge international students what they like. I don't believe this is healthy for educational establishments personally.

i said what you said was disgusting only you thinks it was ok i would put a appology if i was you instead of digging a massive hole

Watching Paula flap around in this thread for the last few days has been a delight.

What facts? I asked where the idea that international student numbers were declining as a result of 'hostility' came from. I've not seen anything to back that up really, other than speculation.

Hilarious...are you now claiming that Higher Education Statistics Agency, which is UK’s official agency for the collection, analysis and dissemination of quantitative information about higher education, does not deal in facts?

I went to Lincoln on the train this weekend. However I saw someone had dropped a crisp packet on the floor outside the station so I turned around and got a train back home and will never go back there again.

what flavour Emma?

what flavour Emma?

Didnt look, I was seething too much as apparently that is what you judge a city on.

Who found the evidence falling international numbers was due to hostility and what is hostility defined as? Genuine question.

"

The decline in the number of people coming from some countries outside the bloc has been blamed by higher education leaders on increasingly stringent British visa rules, at a time when other nations are seeking to woo more international students.

"

from

https://www.ft.com/content/70ccdb58-f6b8-11e7-88f7-5465a6ce1a00

I went to Lincoln on the train this weekend. However I saw someone had dropped a crisp packet on the floor outside the station so I turned around and got a train back home and will never go back there again.

I assume by that you mean you don't think people judge a city by what it looks like? I disafree.

---------- Post added 02-05-2018 at 13:14 ----------

"

The decline in the number of people coming from some countries outside the bloc has been blamed by higher education leaders on increasingly stringent British visa rules, at a time when other nations are seeking to woo more international students.

"

from

https://www.ft.com/content/70ccdb58-f6b8-11e7-88f7-5465a6ce1a00

Visa arwn't an issue for studying though- the issue comes when international students want to remain in a country to work and live after completion of study. You can undetstand why a country expetiencing huge influxes of immigration wouldn't want this, or for university courses to become a backdoor route for work visas.

One thing you can guarantee would reduce the decline in international students would be lower fees.

---------- Post added 02-05-2018 at 13:16 ----------

Hilarious...are you now claiming that Higher Education Statistics Agency, which is UK’s official agency for the collection, analysis and dissemination of quantitative information about higher education, does not deal in facts?

No- but there are no facts to suggest 'hostility' is a reason international student numbers are declining- there's speculation.

---------- Post added 02-05-2018 at 13:19 ----------

i said what you said was disgusting only you thinks it was ok i would put a appology if i was you instead of digging a massive hole

Which bit did you find 'disgusting'? That it's my opinion international students are overcharged? You obviously don't- that's fine, but please be aware that differences of opinion are common, and your views are neither right nor wrong.

Edited by paula4sheff

Are you arguing with financial times and it's quoting of senior university staff?

Perhaps if you've got such a good grasp of the situation you should be advising them instead of posting on the internet about it. I mean, I'm sure that none of them has ever studied economics or international business, they're probably hardly educated at all, I bet they've never even considered basic Keynesian economics and how the demand is elastic in relation to the price.

Fleecing, as you well know, doesn't simply mean overcharging, that's why everyone except you thinks is arguing against your use of that term. It has connotations of trickery, unlawfulness, taking advantage. None of which apply to the free market of international students, who know exactly what they're getting, what they're paying and how it compares to what UK students themselves pay.

There is no part of education which deals in facts any more, purely propaganda to promote their twisted and suicidal world view.

Are you arguing with financial times and it's quoting of senior university staff?

Perhaps if you've got such a good grasp of the situation you should be advising them instead of posting on the internet about it. I mean, I'm sure that none of them has ever studied economics or international business, they're probably hardly educated at all, I bet they've never even considered basic Keynesian economics and how the demand is elastic in relation to the price.

Fleecing, as you well know, doesn't simply mean overcharging, that's why everyone except you thinks is arguing against your use of that term. It has connotations of trickery, unlawfulness, taking advantage. None of which apply to the free market of international students, who know exactly what they're getting, what they're paying and how it compares to what UK students themselves pay.

Not sure the sarcasm is necessary. Please don't stoop to a level that's clearly beneath you. You also don't know what I do for a living.

Not at all. I'm suggesting that that is their reading of the situation. Hence their speculation - it's not facts. It's an opinion and a viewpoint. And let's face it, senior University staff aren't going to be saying "I think the drop off in international student numbers is due to the huge fees we charge them" are they? They're going to claim their fees are just fine, as they claim that their absurdly high wages compared to their teaching staff are just fine. They will claim the problem is elsewhere.

Would you say then that the drop off in international students is entirely due to the fact they can't stay automatically stay in the UK to work after graduating? I certainly wouldn't.

Shall we change the term 'fleecing' to 'overcharging' then? I've made it clear that's what I mean.

I believe international students are overcharged, and that that is one of the factors fueling a drop off in international student numbers.

This really isn't an arguable or revealing notion - it's been widely reported.

https://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/tuition-fee-hike-blamed-as-international-students-at-uk-universities-fall-by-a-quarter-9231151.html

Edited by paula4sheff

Did you even read the article properly? In particular you need to draw a distinction between EU students and International ones. The EU students are disadvantaged compared to their UK equivalents because they can't access loans but that wasn't what you or anyone else was talking about. Nowhere in that article does it talk about costs for International students which are much more than the £9000 UK and EU costs. It does however talk in the final paragraph about hostility to International students being a factor in dropping numbers.

Did you even read the article properly? In particular you need to draw a distinction between EU students and International ones. The EU students are disadvantaged compared to their UK equivalents because they can't access loans but that wasn't what you or anyone else was talking about. Nowhere in that article does it talk about costs for International students which are much more than the £9000 UK and EU costs. It does however talk in the final paragraph about hostility to International students being a factor in dropping numbers.

Huh? It talks about international students throughout - and the headline refers to international students.

You're wrong - EU students can apply for student loans and grants, the same as UK students. They'e not disadvantaged in any way, shape or form. The same rules apply.

The reason they choose not to study in the UK is because degrees are significantly cheaper, and in some cases free, in other European countries.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-confirms-funding-for-eu-students-for-2018-to-2019

Edited by paula4sheff