Best University? Sheffield or Hallam?

But as already said, all top universities do the same, and stats have been posted to show no colleration between number of Chinese students and performance. So I think you are barking up the wrong tree here.

Those stats haven't been posted, as we don't know the figures.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to why Sheffield University has slipped?

Perhaps the general state of the city centre at present has something to do with it?

Getting off the train and walking through Fargate, fending off requests for money every 2 or 3 metres doesn't give the best impression to potential students, who may choose to look elsewhere. A City has to look like an attractive prospect for students to want to go there - reduced competition could be having an impact?

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to why Sheffield University has slipped?

Perhaps the general state of the city centre at present has something to do with it?

Getting off the train and walking through Fargate, fending off requests for money every 2 or 3 metres doesn't give the best impression to potential students, who may choose to look elsewhere. A City has to look like an attractive prospect for students to want to go there - reduced competition could be having an impact?

When I went looking around universities I went with my parents, by car. How many go on the train?

I think you are clutching at straws a bit now. Loads of cities have dire areas around their main train stations. And you make it sound like no other city has beggars and/or chuggers.

When I went looking around universities I went with my parents, by car. How many go on the train?

I think you are clutching at straws a bit now. Loads of cities have dire areas around their main train stations. And you make it sound like no other city has beggars and/or chuggers.

You don't think that the 'excuuuuuse me' people are a little out of hand now? I was asked 15 times in the centre at the weekend!

Students wander around the city- if it looks grim, it makes it less appealing, surely?

What's your theory as to why both universities in Sheffield have fallen in the table?

You don't think that the 'excuuuuuse me' people are a little out of hand now? I was asked 15 times in the centre at the weekend!

Students wander around the city- if it looks grim, it makes it less appealing, surely?

What's your theory as to why both universities in Sheffield have fallen in the table?

I have no idea, however I am 100% sure it wont be because they have seen a few chuggers that plague every city and major town centre these days :hihi:

I have no idea, however I am 100% sure it wont be because they have seen a few chuggers that plague every city and major town centre these days :hihi:

Well, that's not what I said is it? i never mentioned chuggers. I said the general state of the city centre might be an issue - and cited the amount of people asking for money (pretending to be homeless) as one of the issues. Hardly sets an ideal image of the city when you visit and you're stopped for change every few yards!

So you're not sure why both Universities have fallen in the tables....but are unwilling to think it could be a slip in academic standards, or that Sheffield is less appealing? Right.

I'm struggling to see what else it could be to be honest!

A few?? I don't think you live in Sheffield then. Or it's been years since you were in the centre.

A few?? I don't think you live in Sheffield then. Or it's been years since you were in the centre.

It has no more or no less than Leeds, Manchester and Birmingham city centres, just to cite 4 examples? Do people not visit other places or do they stay here in their little Sheffield bubble?

Do you really, really think that "chuggers" is the reason people wouldnt choose a university?

It has no more or no less than Leeds, Manchester and Birmingham city centres, just to cite 4 examples? Do people not visit other places or do they stay here in their little Sheffield bubble?

Do you really, really think that "chuggers" is the reason people wouldnt choose a university?

No, that's a major simplification of the issue, quite obviously.

Why would any prospective student "Getting off the train..." go "...through Fargate..." to get to SHU or UoS?

On Open Days there is a meet and greet service for those who arrive by train or car, transport is provided, if required, to the department they wish to visit and the meetings and presentations they attend.

These are usually 16 and 17 year olds, so are not likely targets for chuggers but they are savvy enough to have made a shortlist.

Why would any prospective student "Getting off the train..." go "...through Fargate..." to get to SHU or UoS?

On Open Days there is a meet and greet service for those who arrive by train or car, transport is provided, if required, to the department they wish to visit and the meetings and presentations they attend.

These are usually 16 and 17 year olds, so are not likely targets for chuggers but they are savvy enough to have made a shortlist.

Perhaps because they want to see the city they are considering living in for at least 3 years?

If it looks a dump, that'll put them off putting Sheffield at the top of their list.

No, never said that. I was just correcting your use of "a few".

Perhaps because they want to see the city they are considering living in for at least 3 years?

If it looks a dump, that'll put them off putting Sheffield at the top of their list.

Perhaps but since they won't be getting off the train and going through Fargate to get to SHU or UoS, and chuggers are not interested it really does no matter.

They care little of what Fargate looks like, they will already have done all the research they need to on the internet on the things that are important to them.

As 16 and 17 year olds they will be more impressed by what is on offer academically and socially, Fargate is not a factor after all its just another main street in a provincial city, not much better, not much worse.