Best University? Sheffield or Hallam?

Sheffield Hallam University actively prevents people with Sheffield Hallam degrees, but did their courses elsewhere from accessing careers information advice and support, even if they are a Sheffield resident with learning disability.

I can't speak for your experience, but I received a lot of support from them being a care leaver.

Cambridge has about 10% Chinese students...do you know what percentage Sheff. Uni. has?

Just over 4,000 of the 28,000 students at the University of Sheffield - which is (if my maths is right) 14%, so higher than Cambridge.

---------- Post added 26-04-2018 at 11:01 ----------

Liverpool has a large number of Chinese students and is 36th. What's your point?

That Sheffield University is a business first and foremost, and may be starting to favour those that can afford the ramped up fees foreign students are subject to over academic merit, in some cases.

Edited by paula4sheff

Just over 4,000 of the 28,000 students at the University of Sheffield - which is (if my maths is right) 14%, so higher than Cambridge.

---------- Post added 26-04-2018 at 11:01 ----------

That Sheffield University is a business first and foremost, and may be starting to favour those that can afford the ramped up fees foreign students are subject to over academic merit, in some cases.

So no different to many other universities then. I still dont see the point.

It's not slander in any way, shape or form.

The University makes a concerted effort to 'attract' Chinese students because they can charge them higher fees than domestic students, and they can afford to pay it. They're a business out to make as much money as they can- this is one of the ways they do it.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/international/countries/asia/east-asia/china

Here's some information about it.

You might also want to look up the definition of slander, and drop the aggressive tone.

Perhaps you can explain how this is "fleecing" them?

So no different to many other universities then. I still dont see the point.

Point is, as above - there is speculation as to whether students are being taken based on whether they an afford the ramped up fees charged to foreign students, rather than their academic merit.

A University can make a heck of a lot more money from fees from a Chinese student than it can a domestic student, which is leading to claims across the academic world that this is a growing issue.

It may well be no different to other universities, but Sheffield is particularly keen on the process- perhaps more so than other establishments. That this growing priority for them coincides with a slip in their rankings is interesting.

---------- Post added 26-04-2018 at 11:09 ----------

Perhaps you can explain how this is "fleecing" them?

They're getting charged more than domestic students, for the same thing. Isn't one person being charged more than another for the exact some product the very definition of 'fleecing'?

It's not slander in any way, shape or form.

The University makes a concerted effort to 'attract' Chinese students because they can charge them higher fees than domestic students, and they can afford to pay it. They're a business out to make as much money as they can- this is one of the ways they do it.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/international/countries/asia/east-asia/china

Here's some information about it.

You might also want to look up the definition of slander, and drop the aggressive tone.

You appear to connecting the number of Chinese with Sheffield's postion in the table......is this the case?

---------- Post added 26-04-2018 at 11:10 ----------

Where are your figures from? Genuine question..

You appear to connecting the number of Chinese with Sheffield's postion in the table......is this the case?

---------- Post added 26-04-2018 at 11:10 ----------

Where are your figures from? Genuine question..

I'm making the suggestion they are connected, yes. It's a topic of discussion I think.

Figures are from the University website.

Point is, as above - there is speculation as to whether students are being taken based on whether they an afford the ramped up fees charged to foreign students, rather than their academic merit.

A University can make a heck of a lot more money from fees from a Chinese student than it can a domestic student, which is leading to claims across the academic world that this is a growing issue.

It may well be no different to other universities, but Sheffield is particularly keen on the process- perhaps more so than other establishments. That this growing priority for them coincides with a slip in their rankings is interesting.

Could it possibly be that more foreign students WANT to come to Sheffield Uni?

I'm making the suggestion they are connected, yes. It's a topic of discussion I think.

Figures are from the University website.

Why would the number of Chinese students affect the uni's rating...? I looked at the uni web site last night to try to get a figure but couldn't...any chance of a link?

Could it possibly be that more foreign students WANT to come to Sheffield Uni?

Of course- no one is forcing anyone to come! Sheffield University is very active in appealing to Chinese students though, more so than others, so it's fairly natural that it would be a big choice, if time and effort is spent trying to promote and advertise it.

---------- Post added 26-04-2018 at 11:24 ----------

Why would the number of Chinese students affect the uni's rating...? I looked at the uni web site last night to try to get a figure but couldn't...any chance of a link?

I linked above - here it is again though. https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/international/countries/asia/east-asia/china

When you favour how much you can charge a student, surely it becomes an issue?

If a student who has poorer grades can be charged a large amount more than a student with better grades, doesn't it lead to speculation that standards could be diminished by favouring the former in order to make more money?

They're getting charged more than domestic students, for the same thing. Isn't one person being charged more than another for the exact some product the very definition of 'fleecing'?

Have you considered why?

UK students are subsidised by the government, foreign students aren't. And UK fee's are capped, so not a true market rate or representation.

So, no, that's not the definition of being fleeced, and when you write that they are that's probably libel (not slander since you didn't speak it).

So Chinese students are thicker than British ones, is that what Paula is suggesting?