Best University? Sheffield or Hallam?

Perhaps but since they won't be getting off the train and going through Fargate to get to SHU or UoS, and chuggers are not interested it really does no matter.

They care little of what Fargate looks like, they will already have done all the research they need to on the internet on the things that are important to them.

As 16 and 17 year olds they will be more impressed by what is on offer academically and socially, Fargate is not a factor after all its just another main street in a provincial city, not much better, not much worse.

Obviously not true - what a city is like is incredibly important to students, and dictates where they go massively.

It's absolutely crazy to think somebody does research on the internet and doesn't bother to look around the City they are going to live in!

Obviously not true - what a city is like is incredibly important to students, and dictates where they go massively.

It's absolutely crazy to think somebody does research on the internet and doesn't bother to look around the City they are going to live in!

16 and 17 year old children who are going to the department and presentation of their choice are not going to be walking along Fargate from the station- its not on any route to any department. They cannot be signed up by chuggers so they will not be bothered by them.

At 16 when they are beginning to consider their University and courses, they will do their research on-line. They will be looking around the city, specifically the places they will be in their first year- they will make a beeline for their departments and accommodation- not Fargate.

16 and 17 year old children who are going to the department and presentation of their choice are not going to be walking along Fargate from the station- its not on any route to any department. They cannot be signed up by chuggers so they will not be bothered by them.

At 16 when they are beginning to consider their University and courses, they will do their research on-line. They will be looking around the city, specifically the places they will be in their first year- they will make a beeline for their departments and accommodation- not Fargate.

So they'll be looking round the city but will conciously avoid looking at the centre? I don't realky think that's the case- especially when so much of the accomodation is there, not to mention the main hallam building being opposite the train station!

By the way- chuggers refers to people trying tp get you to sign up to a charity, not the wide selection of '50p for a hostel' blaggers that are ao prevalent in town.

It's Sheffield Uni we're talking about isn't it? And given the traffic I'd say that most open day visitors come by car.

Given the ratings on the website I think it's highly unlikely that anything in the city centre has affected the rankings. (It breaks the ratings out into 3 or 4 different values, none of which were 'is the city centre a turnoff'.

I'm so confused by this thread.

Paula is suggesting that Sheffield uni ranking has dropped because of international students. As far as I can tell this is nonsense for 2 main reasons. First, many other universities pursue the same strategy. Manchester has 38% international students, the vast majority of whom are Chinese (Manchester has the biggest 'China town' in the UK) and it was ranked 8th last year in times HE. Second, university rankings are not based on the results of students but on teaching quality, research impact, income etc. So whether Chinese students do well or poorly it should have little/no impact on rankings.

Manchester has a policy to try to get in the world top 20. It's strategy has been to recruit new part time/full time Profs to include on their REF return. But it's cost them a great deal financially. Sheffield I know has lost a number of profs to other institutions seemingly because they are pursuing a more sustainable pay policy at the top. The Arsenal of universities to some extent.

Re: Badlittlepup's post which stated:

"Plus you are less likely to be politically bullied or pressured at Hallam or pushed into conforming with a dominant political agenda in the student body which you will be at Sheffield, by staff as well as students."

There have been issues in the past: http://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/universitys-pay-3000-for-failure-to-tackle-anti-semitism/

Also from a couple of days ago:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/sheffield-hallam-university-racism-black-student-monkey-library-a8320086.html

Not very inspiring or good publicity for SHU.

Yeah, but your boss not regularly emailing you to tell you how to think and vote is a bit more sinister than isolated issues.

Sheffield universities probe 'racism' reports

A series of allegations of racism involving university staff and students in Sheffield are being investigated.

Four separate reports are being probed, including claims a security worker at Sheffield Hallam University (SHU) called a student a "monkey".

Three of them relate to SHU. The fourth involves claims a University of Sheffield student threw a banana at another student during a varsity event.

The universities say all four allegations are under investigation.

One student reported "Too many Asians (brown ones)" had been written on a feedback board in the library at SHU.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-43908646

Guest makapaka
Sheffield universities probe 'racism' reports

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-43908646

This was on Radio Sheffield this morning.

I sympathise a bit with the Universities here - they can't be held accountable for every student's individual actions.

All they can do is investigate and deal with the findings.

This was on Radio Sheffield this morning.

I sympathise a bit with the Universities here - they can't be held accountable for every student's individual actions.

All they can do is investigate and deal with the findings.

Seems a bit harsh yeah - racism is everywhere. If someone who worked at Tesco said something racist, it wouldn't be regarded as the store's fault- they'd just be expected to investigate and deal with it, which is exactly what they'll do.

The University can't be expected to account for or police the thoughts and views of every student!

---------- Post added 27-04-2018 at 13:37 ----------

I'm so confused by this thread.

Paula is suggesting that Sheffield uni ranking has dropped because of international students. As far as I can tell this is nonsense for 2 main reasons. First, many other universities pursue the same strategy. Manchester has 38% international students, the vast majority of whom are Chinese (Manchester has the biggest 'China town' in the UK) and it was ranked 8th last year in times HE. Second, university rankings are not based on the results of students but on teaching quality, research impact, income etc. So whether Chinese students do well or poorly it should have little/no impact on rankings.

Manchester has a policy to try to get in the world top 20. It's strategy has been to recruit new part time/full time Profs to include on their REF return. But it's cost them a great deal financially. Sheffield I know has lost a number of profs to other institutions seemingly because they are pursuing a more sustainable pay policy at the top. The Arsenal of universities to some extent.

My intention was more to open the debate around whether a drive to recruit lucrative international students may be in keeping with a fall in standards really. When finances become such a driving factor in recruitment, I think there's definitely a discussion to be had on whether compromises in quality may follow.

That's not to say that I'm casting aspersions, on anyone. Just that money does tend to corrupt.

---------- Post added 27-04-2018 at 13:39 ----------

It's Sheffield Uni we're talking about isn't it? And given the traffic I'd say that most open day visitors come by car.

Given the ratings on the website I think it's highly unlikely that anything in the city centre has affected the rankings. (It breaks the ratings out into 3 or 4 different values, none of which were 'is the city centre a turnoff'.

That may well be the case, but first impressions to the City would hardly be stellar at the moment, which has more impact than people consider I think. If you arrive somewhere and think "this place looks a dump" it does have an effect. It certainly does with me when visiting places for the first time.

It's not slander in any way, shape or form.

The University makes a concerted effort to 'attract' Chinese students because they can charge them higher fees than domestic students, and they can afford to pay it. They're a business out to make as much money as they can- this is one of the ways they do it.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/international/countries/asia/east-asia/china

Here's some information about it.

You might also want to look up the definition of slander, and drop the aggressive tone.

what you said was disgusting and work colleagues have seen this and said the same but obviousley you think its alright to say what you said ? Aggressive manner you say yes i was aggressive because of the disgusting comment in future think before you put a disgraceful comment

PC gone mad.

It's political correctness to investigate racism? :huh: