Best University? Sheffield or Hallam?

I went to both. Hallam for my undergraduate degree and Sheffield for my post grad. I enjoyed Hallam. I took advantage of a good course and worked hard.I got involved with the uni and am still proud of my degree. I enjoyed Sheffield too but didn't feel I belonged as much. Howevery both worked for me and got me the career I wanted. Advice - choose a 'proper' subject, have a career path in mind and an alternative as contingency. Get involved beyond your study. Get some life skills.

Cracking advice.

I think that's what happens when you concentrate on fleecing, sorry 'attracting', chinese students.......

excuse me nice slanderous comment there back that up if i was you

But some employers, who are currently recruiting by the way, require a degree. It may seem a tad unfair to people who've had a thorough grounding in the "University of Life" but that's the way some employers target their new recruits.

Just depends what kind of profession you want to follow. We are desperately short of qualified tradesmen, plumbers, electricians and bricklayers. This then affects house building. Some students do useless degrees and end up unemployed.

I went to both. Hallam for my undergraduate degree and Sheffield for my post grad. I enjoyed Hallam. I took advantage of a good course and worked hard.I got involved with the uni and am still proud of my degree. I enjoyed Sheffield too but didn't feel I belonged as much. Howevery both worked for me and got me the career I wanted. Advice - choose a 'proper' subject, have a career path in mind and an alternative as contingency. Get involved beyond your study. Get some life skills.

I did it the other way round, and feel the same ( I mean I felt like I didn't belong at Hallam, and enjoyed Sheffiel d more). Perhaps because I had my 'real' uni experience at Sheffield. I was a mature student, and working, when I went to Hallam...

Sheffield University comes in at number 30 in the UK while Hallam is 68.

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

Oh dear. Leeds is 13th; Nottingham 17th; Manchester 18th & my old uni, Newcastle 22nd.

Time to Buck up Sheffield!

Leeds has risen rapidly since 2014, they're obviously doing something right, from 32nd place.

Sheffield has fallen from 26th.

Worked at and attended both.

Sheffield Uni is the best academically but has really fallen down the ranks and has problems at the moment. It has a Vice-Chancellor who draws a humongous salary and has fabulous conditions but it presiding over staff with increasingly poor conditions like fixed term contracts and less than stellar wages. Yet apparently he still feels he has the right to regularly email all his staff lecturing them on the issues of the day and telling them how to vote in elections and referenda. It got a poor rating in the teaching awards and IMO a lot of lecturers view themselves as researchers first, for whom students are an inconvenience to be avoided when possible. It’s administratively dreadful and impossible to get anything done.

Hallam on the other hand is not as good academically. There are a lot of less academic students so learning progressing it bit more slowly and can be side tracked plus it tends not to fly off into the heights of intellectualism (which is sometimes a good thing). But the teaching is good and most of the teaching staff (and other staff) see students as the centre of the Uni and genuinely care about their well being and achievements. It’s administratively well run.

Sheffield tends to have wealthier, cooler students who are also much <removed> and less friendly. Hallam’s students are less well off and cool, but much warmer and approachable. Plus you are less likely to be politically bullied or pressured at Hallam or pushed into conforming with a dominant political agenda in the student body which you will be at Sheffield, by staff as well as students.

I far prefer Hallam as you might have guessed.

---------- Post added 26-04-2018 at 08:26 ----------

Oh, and the Chinese students are incredible. Hard working, friendly, polite. Might take them some time to settle in, but they get there and do wonders for our economy whilst integrating without many problems.

---------- Post added 26-04-2018 at 08:28 ----------

Oh, and the Vice Chancellor screws over his poorest paid staff while he gets a massive salary but is a proud lefty.

Says it all really.

Edited by nikki-red

Sheffield Uni is the best academically but has really fallen down the ranks and has problems at the moment. It has a Vice-Chancellor who draws a humongous salary and has fabulous conditions but it presiding over staff with increasingly poor conditions like fixed term contracts and less than stellar wages. Yet apparently he still feels he has the right to regularly email all his staff lecturing them on the issues of the day and telling them how to vote in elections and referenda. It got a poor rating in the teaching awards and IMO a lot of lecturers view themselves as researchers first, for whom students are an inconvenience to be avoided when possible. It’s administratively dreadful and impossible to get anything done.

Hallam on the other hand is not as good academically. There are a lot of less academic students so learning progressing it bit more slowly and can be side tracked plus it tends not to fly off into the heights of intellectualism (which is sometimes a good thing). But the teaching is good and most of the teaching staff (and other staff) see students as the centre of the Uni and genuinely care about their well being and achievements. It’s administratively well run.

Sheffield tends to have wealthier, cooler students who are also much <removed> and less friendly. Hallam’s students are less well off and cool, but much warmer and approachable. Plus you are less likely to be politically bullied or pressured at Hallam or pushed into conforming with a dominant political agenda in the student body which you will be at Sheffield, by staff as well as students.

Oh, and the Chinese students are incredible. Hard working, friendly, polite. Might take them some time to settle in, but they get there and do wonders for our economy whilst integrating without many problems.

Oh, and the Vice Chancellor screws over his poorest paid staff while he gets a massive salary but is a proud lefty.

Says it all really.

I agree on the most part. Like hardworker, I did my Bachelors at Hallam and my Masters at Sheffield. A Sheffield degree is worth more, but Hallam was a much more laid-back and welcoming atmosphere. Hallam also had far better bursaries and support services, especially for disadvantaged students. I didn't experience much difference in the teaching staff though. Actually, my dissertation supervisor at Hallam was horrible.

Edited by nikki-red

I think that's what happens when you concentrate on fleecing, sorry 'attracting', chinese students.......

Liverpool has a large number of Chinese students and is 36th. What's your point?

Says it all really.

:thumbsup:

I agree on the most part. Like hardworker, I did my Bachelors at Hallam and my Masters at Sheffield. A Sheffield degree is worth more, but Hallam was a much more laid-back and welcoming atmosphere. Hallam also had far better bursaries and support services, especially for disadvantaged students. I didn't experience much difference in the teaching staff though. Actually, my dissertation supervisor at Hallam was horrible.

Sheffield Hallam University actively prevents people with Sheffield Hallam degrees, but did their courses elsewhere from accessing careers information advice and support, even if they are a Sheffield resident with learning disability.

Cambridge has about 10% Chinese students...do you know what percentage Sheff. Uni. has?

Liverpool has a large number of Chinese students and is 36th. What's your point?

Quoted just in case Paula missed the questions, which I am sure she will be able to answer.

excuse me nice slanderous comment there back that up if i was you

It's not slander in any way, shape or form.

The University makes a concerted effort to 'attract' Chinese students because they can charge them higher fees than domestic students, and they can afford to pay it. They're a business out to make as much money as they can- this is one of the ways they do it.

https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/international/countries/asia/east-asia/china

Here's some information about it.

You might also want to look up the definition of slander, and drop the aggressive tone.