Soft drinks manufacturers in Sheffield in the 50s and 60s

I didn't know that Orangillo and Lemonillo were made in Sheffield. They were sold for a short time in c. 1965 with the slogan "4 times fruitier" and they did indeed have a strong fruit flavour. They came in odd-shaped bottles that were easily knocked over - maybe this was one reason for their early demise. See here and also here.

I think the Tizer place on (wherever it was on there) Penistone Road may have a storage depot, as it was made in Manchester by Pickups, who made the Burdock too. I don't recall the Oringillo place on Claywheels Lane unless it was part of the old Hope and Anchor brewery.

I worked at the Penistone Road Tizer place one summer in the mid 60s. If I remember rightly it was a bottling plant where they put the bubbles in.

The job only lasted a fortnight because I found out the older summer recruits were getting £13 a week and I was only getting nine for the same job. I packed it in and went to work at Dysons at Stannington for thirty bob more.

I didn't know that Orangillo and Lemonillo were made in Sheffield. They were sold for a short time in c. 1965 with the slogan "4 times fruitier" and they did indeed have a strong fruit flavour. They came in odd-shaped bottles that were easily knocked over - maybe this was one reason for their early demise. See here and also here.

I think Orangillo first appeared during the long hot summer of 1959. Some of my classmates joked that it was in a "pregnant bottle". The flavour was indeed more intense than other orange pop somewhat similar to Orangina. I was not aware of any Sheffield connexion though.

I worked at the Penistone Road Tizer place one summer in the mid 60s. If I remember rightly it was a bottling plant where they put the bubbles in.

The job only lasted a fortnight because I found out the older summer recruits were getting £13 a week and I was only getting nine for the same job. I packed it in and went to work at Dysons at Stannington for thirty bob more.

Where on Penistone Road was it Jim or what was it near ?

Hi Jim Hardie when you worked at Dysons did you bump into "Dusty"?.

Where on Penistone Road was it Jim or what was it near ?

As I remember where the Big Yellow Storage is now.

Bit off the topic, where were Jubbly and Jusoda made ?

I think the Tizer place on (wherever it was on there) Penistone Road may have a storage depot, as it was made in Manchester by Pickups, who made the Burdock too. I don't recall the Oringillo place on Claywheels Lane unless it was part of the old Hope and Anchor brewery.

It was between fletchers and the co op milk depot,its now all fletchers.

Jim, we know that Sheffield was a world famous manufacturing city but bubbles ?

---------- Post added 29-04-2018 at 00:48 ----------

As I remember where the Big Yellow Storage is now.

Is the where Newbould's bakery used to be ? Beulah Road area.

Jim, we know that Sheffield was a world famous manufacturing city but bubbles ?

---------- Post added 29-04-2018 at 00:48 ----------

Is the where Newbould's bakery used to be ? Beulah Road area.

That's the one, now a car pitch and Yellow Storage.

They did deliver in the Sheffield area but some of the companies were not Sheffield based. I think Ben Shaw's were from Huddersfield, Hague's , Rotherham (perhaps). and Davenport's were from Birmingham, who I thought did beer-at-home deliveries (awful stuff too.) Birmingham beer in Sheffield ? They had to get a grip of themselves !

---------- Post added 26-04-2018 at 17:21 ----------

Fentiman's, that's a name from the past, where were they from ?

I remember them delivering to the door when we lived on the Manor estate but a couple of years later I saw one of their trucks in Nottingham so they could have been National.

The reason I remember Hague's is because there was an argument between the Fentiman's driver and a Hague's driver one hot summer day outside our house. I think the Hague's guy was taking advantage of the hot weather to sell some pop on the street and Fentiman's had a round delivering to the door and he objected. I think Hague's just did wholesale to shops and pubs.

Provided entertainment for a bit.

Fentiman's used an ex-army Bedford flatbed and I think the Hague's lorry was a Ford Thames.

There was a firm that delivered "Drinkador" pop. Their motto was "thirst come, thirst served". I don't know if they were a Sheffield firm.