Cyclists going through red lights. Localised colour blindness?

My take was that person was just ranting about motorists in general just because it was a thread that was vaguely similar to the topic.

So it was a completely irrelevant post to the thread topic?

I suppose it just balances out the motorists ranting about cyclists in general.

Of course but you already knew that and chose to pretend you didn't in your responses.

Of course but you already knew that and chose to pretend you didn't in your responses.

Should I just report such posts next time?

I actually thought it was intended to be a relevant post, but that the poster hadn't bothered to actually read the OP first.

As a cyclist who rides a Hybrid I think its all those folks with drop handlebar bikes that are the problem - they seem so much more arrogant, they seem to have some sort of sense of entitlement, maybe feel they are *proper* cyclists or something . . .

Most of the bad behaviour I see on my commute appears to be people on regular old mountain bikes.

The lights at the hillsborough interchange are a favourite, I stop, quite a number of cycles however just hop onto the pavement, cycle past the light and back out onto the road.

Perhaps they should actually put in a cycle path there, and then it would at least be legal and expected.

Apart from the motorcyclists - the rest of us must remember to 'Think Bike' as they weave in and out of lanes and tear past us breaking the speed limit.

a factor in choosing to use a motorcycle is the ability to filter when other traffic is slow or stationary.

https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/filtering-motorbike-whats-law/

as for your opinion of them tearing past breaking the speed limit I doubt you ability to observe accurately. when you are stationary a motorcycle effectively passing a foot or so away from your shoulder will appear to be travelling fast.

of course if you have had formal training in velocity assessment then i would be more open to accept your opinion in relation to the rate of travel by some of the few (in real terms) motorcyclists you have observed.

but the issue here is about cyclists of the push bike variety ignoring red lights which some do

Cycling Offences – Jumping Red Lights

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 s.36 and the Traffic Signs Regulations and Directions and Directions 2002 regulations 10 and 36(1), road users must not cross the stop line when the traffic lights are red. This offence, also known as ‘red light jumping’, applies to cyclists as well as motorists.

they also illegally ride on the pavements and use pedestrian crossings.

According to Laws HA 1835 section 72 & RSA 1984, section 129, cyclists must not cycle on the pavement. for pavement read footway. there are no pavements

they seldom indicate and when they do some think that doing so gives them the right to make their intended maneuver regardless of traffic ..they seldom use life-savers probably due to most of them having had no training. they are bit like baby birds in that respect once they can take off (or stay upright and pedal) they are on their own and if birds survive all well and good. .. if cyclists fail to survive then unfortunately some poor sod probably has some repairs to do their vehicle

That said, re: pavements, 2 home secretaries have now advised cyclists to use the pavement if they feel that the road is too dangerous and the police when on cycles also use the pavement. It seems like the law really needs to be updated.

As to your opinion about 'seldom' indicating, I suspect that car drivers are actually far worse. Although you'll realise that indicating on a bike means taking a hand of the bars, so I won't always indicate when going left if I need to brake as well.

You've basically descended into stereotypical cyclist bashing, you've no idea how many have formal training or otherwise, you've no idea how many of them look over their shoulder before maneuvering, you sound a lot like the minority of entitled drivers who don't like having to share space.

Edited by Cyclone

As a cyclist who rides a Hybrid I think its all those folks with drop handlebar bikes that are the problem - they seem so much more arrogant, they seem to have some sort of sense of entitlement, maybe feel they are *proper* cyclists or something . . .

I ride a hybrid and a road bike - I don't think I ride differently depending on which bike I'm on...

Having ridden my bike to work, rain or shine, for many years, my observation is that some cyclists are totally stupid, I have seen some running the lights along Queens Road, junctions notorious for accidents... bonkers... however.. as a driver I often witness many stupid drivers... and indeed stupid pedestrians stepping into the road while looking at their phones... my conclusion.. some people are stupid... irrespective.

I ride a hybrid and a road bike - I don't think I ride differently depending on which bike I'm on...

Me too!

cant find an emoji for irony :(

as with many things its the minority who spoil things for the rest - but in my experience *some* road/racing bike cyclists have a different (bad?) attitude to these things