Cyclists going through red lights. Localised colour blindness?

and if it was illegal, there'd be a rule in the highway code about it.

i don't doubt it.

the queue often stretches 700m back to beanies. Given that a ford focus is 4.5m long, that's a queue with 120 cars in it, maybe less.

let's be gracious, and say that means 150 people. That's a half-mile queue, with a 150 people in it.

so much space, and disruption, caused by 150 people. Cars are great, they really are. but we simply haven't got the space for everyone to drive everywhere.

How else can people get to work. Buses aren't an option for me as they don't operate at the times I need to get to work, or get back home. Busses don't necessarily go where people need to be.

If only there was a cheap, easy, clean, healthy, high-capacity mode of travel that people could use to travel a few miles...

Simply not true.

Obviously as a cyclist I spend most of my time assuming that cars haven't seen me. But that won't somehow make me to blame which is what you claimed.

You absolutely could be to blame, you just don't seem to be able to comprehend this. If you are passing to the left of cars, inbetween them and the pavement then that is not responsible riding. When filtering you have a degree of responsibility to do so safely.

Filtering at high speed (not really possible on a cycle)

What a ridiculous thing to say.

you made a statement about blame and claimed that bikes (cycle/motor) would share responsibility if filtering. This is NOT true.

I think one day you could be in for a very big surprise. But you are clearly one of those cyclists who always think they are immune from being blameworthy. That part is clear.

Edited by WarPig

Nothing in the highway code says that filtering by cyclists alongside a car that is occupying a lane is legal.

What it does do is advise drivers to watch out for this hazardous activity.

Theres no law on the statue book that says it's legal to wear a cushion on my head and walk down Fargate whistling Yankee Doodle Dandy but I can do so legally....

---------- Post added 20-09-2018 at 15:45 ----------

You absolutely could be to blame,

Fortunately for everyone the courts have held that if done at slow speed there is no blame attached to the motorbiker or cyclist in these situations...

Theres no law on the statue book that says it's legal to wear a cushion on my head and walk down Fargate whistling Yankee Doodle Dandy but I can do so legally....

That’s because it’s not illegal. What’s your point?

Fortunately for everyone the courts have held that if done at slow speed there is no blame attached to the motorbiker or cyclist in these situations...

So you’re agreeing the cyclist could be to blame

That’s because it’s not illegal. What’s your point?

If you have to ask that question then I fear that I dont have enough crayons to explain it to you..

---------- Post added 20-09-2018 at 15:45 ----------

Someone quoted the Highway Code to suggest that it proved that filtering between cars and the kerb is legal.

It doesn't and that is what I am saying. It is only an interpretation. Not proof.

Slower speeds are safer. What is being said is that there are situations, usually to do with speed and nippiness of the cyclist, when a driver can check, see it is clear and then manoeuvre to find that there is now a cyclist hanging on his door handle.

What is being said is that there are situations, ... when a driver can check, see it is clear and then manoeuvre to find that there is now a cyclist hanging on his door handle.

I'm very good looking. I'm extremely intelligent, I'm funny, gregarious, thoughtful, athletically gifted, and modest.

But I'm not blessed with magical powers of trans-apparation. Nor is anyone else.

People don't appear out of nowhere, that's magic, which isn't real. People do however, drive without *really* looking.

I've been surprised by a few cyclists over the years, every single time it's because I didn't look properly.

I'm very good looking. I'm extremely intelligent, I'm funny, gregarious, thoughtful, athletically gifted, and modest.

oh, I’m sure if you were that good looking a cyclist, more drivers would notice you :wink:

I've nearly bowled a few cyclists over on penistone rd. They in a world of there own .

I've nearly bowled a few cyclists over on penistone rd. They in a world of there own .

You sound like you might be a bit on the dangerous side...

---------- Post added 21-09-2018 at 07:32 ----------

Someone quoted the Highway Code to suggest that it proved that filtering between cars and the kerb is legal.

It doesn't and that is what I am saying. It is only an interpretation. Not proof.

Slower speeds are safer. What is being said is that there are situations, usually to do with speed and nippiness of the cyclist, when a driver can check, see it is clear and then manoeuvre to find that there is now a cyclist hanging on his door handle.

Perhaps if the time between looking and maneuvering is 10 to 20 seconds, but that would be a failure of the driver to look again wouldn't it.

BTW - the way the law works in the UK is generally permissive. IE everything is legal unless there's a law that says there isn't.

So you go ahead and prove that filtering on the inside is illegal. If you can't (which you can't), then it's legal, by definition, because nothing says otherwise.