Cyclists going through red lights. Localised colour blindness?

I ride over there daily but I wait for the change or if it's busy, use the cycle path. If you go through on red you have to stop at the Matilda St lights anyway; the St Mary's lights are timed so if you wait for green there, then ride at a moderate speed on to the Matilda St junction, those lightschangetogreen just as you arrive at the head of the traffic, so you can carry on without stopping. Seems some of my fellow riders haven't worked that out.

Riders in both directions have independent cycle traffic lights to indicate when it's safe tocross St Mary's. I think some people take that as meaning carry on through, as long as there's nobody on the crossing. I'm not sure if that's right or not. However you interpret it, you should always stop for pedestrians.

A car ran into the back of me on my bike, and when I got up and moved around to the side they drove off.

You get people like that travelling by every form. I regularly find pedestrians on the cycle path along Infirmary Road.

I remember cycling on red side of the segregated path on Penistone Road. One of the teenagers from the college decided to keep walking towards me giving me evils until their friends pointed out it was a cycle path :hihi:

This seems highly unlikely, the majority of commuting cyclists are also motorists.

Although now I've said that, perhaps you mean that as with motorists the majority of cyclists only have a passing familiarity with the highway code from 5/10/20 years ago when they last studied it.

I did say some or many, precisely because the majority may also be motorists

I cycle across this very junction most mornings. When coming along Shoreham St to St Mary's Gate the cycle lane stops. To continue over St Mary's Gate and along Shoreham St you have to join the main road. When the traffic lights at the junction allow you to cross, you are immediately met by a red light as you rejoin Shoreham St at the other side of the junction. I don't think I've once had a green light, unless a gap in traffic has let me cross early.

The alternative option is to join the cycle lane that is on the opposite side of Shoreham St, but this cycle lane ends just a few yards further on, and appears to be mostly for cyclists coming the other way, and your then on the wrong side of Shoreham St to join the traffic.

I can understand the temptation to go through the red light, but why cyclists actually do it is beyond me.

Motorists really get into a huff about cyclists red light jumping.

I am a cyclist and motorist.

They are idiots and they're always going to come off worse in an impact with a car. They're also going to find it hard to make an insurance claim.

Cycle lanes, bus lanes and ordinary roads are a joke in Sheffield, the worst of any city I have lived in. I rarely go into the city centre now.

Motorists, on balance, do however commit more offences.

Exceeding 30 mph limit in built up areas - probably higher than 50%

Using mobile phones whist driving (sitting at the lights is still 'driving' for the purposes of this offence which now attracts a £200 fine and 6 points)

Stopping in the cycle box at traffic lights (£100 fine and 3 points)

About 1% of all drivers in South Yorkshire are uninsured.

So it's probably not worth losing sleep over a cyclist who goes through a red light on your commute. If you hit him it's likely to hurt him a lot more than you.

The last red light jump I saw in Sheffield was a black cab on Park Sq roundabout.

The last cycle accident I saw in Sheffield was a car failing to obey a Stop sign by Hallam Uni.

The 50 mph limit on the Parkway to Catcliffe is also frequently ignored.

Edited by alembic

Motorists really get into a huff about cyclists red light jumping.

I am a cyclist and motorist.

They are idiots and they're always going to come off worse in an impact with a car. They're also going to find it hard to make an insurance claim.

Cycle lanes, bus lanes and ordinary roads are a joke in Sheffield, the worst of any city I have lived in. I rarely go into the city centre now.

Motorists, on balance, do however commit more offences.

Exceeding 30 mph limit in built up areas - probably higher than 50%

Using mobile phones whist driving (sitting at the lights is still 'driving' for the purposes of this offence which now attracts a £200 fine and 6 points)

Stopping in the cycle box at traffic lights (£100 fine and 3 points)

About 1% of all drivers in South Yorkshire are uninsured.

So it's probably not worth losing sleep over a cyclist who goes through a red light on your commute. If you hit him it's likely to hurt him a lot more than you.

Probably 'cos there's more laws for motorists to adhere to?

Why would the cyclist be hurt more than me?

What is the meaning of your randomness ?

What that means is that there are better ways to separate general lights from those that are for cycle lanes.

What that means is that there are better ways to separate general lights from those that are for cycle lanes.

You've linked to photos of cycle-dedicated traffic lights, just like the one on Shoreham Street (south).

I don't see how adding another one would make things any better :confused:

Edited by RootsBooster

Couple of days ago I was on foot crossing over the end of London road where it meets St Mary's Gate when this cyclist decides to ride up St Mary's Gate across all the openings completely ignoring the fact people exiting London road were on green lights. I think he thought cars would just stop for him. Indeed one in the right lane managed it, while the left lane one hit him.

What was really sad was I plainly heard the cyclist saying, "I need your number because you've got to buy me a new bike pal". Incredible amounts of arrogance and self-entitlement.