Cyclists going through red lights. Localised colour blindness?

It's also a speed at which you should be driving, driving at 20 would cause you to fail your driving test.

Obviously you can't be ramming into the car in front, but if you are the car that has clear road (and no adverse conditions) and are setting the pace of 20mph for everyone behind you then you would attract minor faults and ultimately fail your test.

CYCLISTS!!!!! My biggest adversaries every day, I have seldom seen one with ANY road sense at all in Sheffield, majority of them are all over the place

not so.

if the general flow of the traffic was 20. you would be expected to maintain that flow. if the flow was 20 and you where pushing to get to 30. you would almost certainly fail.

if you where on an empty road doing 20. then yes. but thats not the scenario described.

That’s exactly the scenario I’m describing.

A clear run on the A61, traffic lights in your favour, visibility is hundreds of metres . . . and at the head of both lanes of traffic, are cars pootling along at 20mph, for no good reason at all.

CYCLISTS!!!!! My biggest adversaries every day, I have seldom seen one with ANY road sense at all in Sheffield, majority of them are all over the place

Why does anyone on the road have to be an adversary?

I believe this sort of attitude is a large part of the problem (and I'm sure it's not just directed towards cyclists, but motorists too - or where does road rage come from). We're all just people trying to get from one place to another!

Why does anyone on the road have to be an adversary?

I believe this sort of attitude is a large part of the problem (and I'm sure it's not just directed towards cyclists, but motorists too - or where does road rage come from). We're all just people trying to get from one place to another!

Not everyone has to be an adversary! I have nothing but respect for road users who respect other road users...other road users who don't cut in front of me and force me to do an emergency stop, who don't scrape their cycles down the side of my car when trying to squeeze through a narrow gap, who don't wave their fists at me because I follow the rules of the road and they don't, who don't zig zag across the road and then at the last possible minute change lanes without looking, who don't shout abuse because I happen to be in 'their cycle lane' as I am trying to avoid an oncoming bus overtaking a parked car and given the correct signal to do so......the list is endless

nice, well mannered, considerate cyclists, I am delighted to share the road with you

Not everyone has to be an adversary! I have nothing but respect for road users who respect other road users...other road users who don't cut in front of me and force me to do an emergency stop, who don't scrape their cycles down the side of my car when trying to squeeze through a narrow gap, who don't wave their fists at me because I follow the rules of the road and they don't, who don't zig zag across the road and then at the last possible minute change lanes without looking, who don't shout abuse because I happen to be in 'their cycle lane' as I am trying to avoid an oncoming bus overtaking a parked car and given the correct signal to do so......the list is endless

nice, well mannered, considerate cyclists, I am delighted to share the road with you

wow, lucky you, that you’re a motorist who has never encountered another motorist doing those very same things you accuse cyclists of doing.

wow, lucky you, that you’re a motorist who has never encountered another motorist doing those very same things you accuse cyclists of doing.

My thoughts precisely.

This is the oft-repeated idea that it's the person that's the problem, not the mode of transport. Or putting it more in the vernacular, people can be knobs whatever they're driving/riding/walking...

My thoughts precisely.

This is the oft-repeated idea that it's the person that's the problem, not the mode of transport. Or putting it more in the vernacular, people can be knobs whatever they're driving/riding/walking...

Indeed!

And I can proudly boast to being a danger to everyone else regardless of whether I drive, cycle, jog, or take the bus :D

Don't be ridiculous. If you leap in front of cars or bikes then you don't "have the right of way".

I see you are such a font of wisdom that you can now over rule the highway code ... i was ignorant of this marvelous attainment of yours ... good luck with it in a court room.

You really must open your mind to the truth and not become stuck on fantasy or wishful thinking cyclone

I repeat; when a pedestrian leaves the pavement they have right of way.

please read the first few suggestions given by this google search

highway code pedestrians and right of way

I'd sign a petition to have drivers forced to cycle for 1/5th of their journeys. :hihi:

yes we can well believe that you would. i'd like tham all to be able to prove they were competent to be on the road with a ministry approved test but we cant it would seem all have our own way

fortunately not a religious person myself i can recognise common sense and wisdom when i see it so excuse me if i take a leaf out of the bible when it comes to adults roads and pedal cycles

Corinthians 13:11

nuff said really.

---------- Post added 03-09-2018 at 15:33 ----------

Ahh, thank you WarPig. Its good to see the standard, good old, tired rubbish trotted out to muddy the waters and avoid the question as soon as anyone mentions insurance. Its also good to see the pedantry over wording as well :)

I dont suppose that you have anything NEW to contribute do you?

well said alchemist

---------- Post added 03-09-2018 at 15:42 ----------

b) People riding bikes have insurance most if not all of the time, in case they get hit and hospitalised by other road users.

MOST ? please quote your source... i would really like to see that ....it is i think as likely as the probability of finding rockinghorse droppings.

and when you say insurance do you mean 3rd party insurance?

and without number plates and a registration scheme how do you explain the means by which pedalists can be held accountable for their actions or indeed their traffic violations.

btw they would not get hit by other road users if they were not playing on the roads. i would not let a child on the road and i expect adults to know better

I see you are such a font of wisdom that you can now over rule the highway code ... i was ignorant of this marvelous attainment of yours ... good luck with it in a court room.

You really must open your mind to the truth and not become stuck on fantasy or wishful thinking cyclone

I repeat; when a pedestrian leaves the pavement they have right of way.

please read the first few suggestions given by this google search

highway code pedestrians and right of way

There is nothing in the Highway Code ( or in the Google results you mention) that says that. It really isn't helpful to make stuff up in order to support a misinformed view. What the Highway Code does say is that pedestrians have priority over vehicles if they ( pedestrians) have already started crossing a side road that a vehicle is turning in to, as well as explaining the rules around pedestrian crossings. If you can find a mention of automatic right of way for pedestrians perhaps you could share it.

I didn't jump any red lights today, or willingly break the speed limit, to my knowledge.

I just sat in a traffic jam for (seemingly) hours and pootled along at (seemingly) pedestrian speeds.

It was hell :)