Cyclists going through red lights. Localised colour blindness?

Ahh well, it was their fault for getting in the way of a lycra god :)

---------- Post added 24-08-2018 at 15:00 ----------

Question of curiosity, if cycle lanes are no use, not used by cyclists and not compulsory for cyclists to use, what the heck is the point of them?

Many, of the pink paint variety, were as a result of political instructions from Westminster and were linked to funding.

I believe that it was to satisfy some need to claim (in Brussels) that we had met a some target or other.

Question of curiosity, if cycle lanes are no use, not used by cyclists and not compulsory for cyclists to use, what the heck is the point of them?

Cycle lanes tend to get used by the less experienced / confident cyclists.

Experienced / confident cyclists often want to go the quickest route, which is normally on the road with the rest of the traffic.

Councils and the government want to get more people to cycle, so they provide the cycle facilities, which although they don't appeal to all cyclists, can help some people get into cycling.

---------- Post added 24-08-2018 at 15:32 ----------

Many, of the pink paint variety, were as a result of political instructions from Westminster and were linked to funding.

I believe that it was to satisfy some need to claim (in Brussels) that we had met a some target or other.

No, it wasn't instructions.

Government has provided funding for cycling infrastructure and they have a cycling and walking investment strategy: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cycling-and-walking-investment-strategy

Some of the more recent funding pots for cycling infrastructure have been by a competitive bidding process (Cycle City Ambition Fund for one: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/multimillion-pound-government-funding-boost-for-cycle-safety )

On shared use pedestrian/cycle lanes, i have no problem with pedestrians.

I get a little peeved at the double standards that it's fine for pedestrians to walk in a segregated cycle lane, but not for cyclists to ride on the adjacent footpath to go round them (Langsett Road being a prime example).

I don't consider myself a "lycra god", I enjoy cycling both as exercise and as a convenient means of transport - it's far more reliable than the bus! At present I have to drive for work, I don't really want to get back in the car in the evening if I don't have to!

When I'm cycling, I follow the highway code and respect other road users, I would just like other people to do the same. We are all people living in the same society, the vitriol against others based on their chosen method of transport is quite sad.

I'm also not sure that cyclists cause significant congestion. It's something I ponder when it takes me half an hour to do a 2-3 mile journey, as I'm sitting in a long queue of cars waiting for the lights to change...

Of course cycles don't cause congestion, if anything they reduce it.

Wow, over ten pages in.

Let me say that today I drove through two red lights on the way to work (I didn’t wanna stop on amber) and I exceeded the speed limit at least twice during my morning and evening commutes.

I’m waiting for somebody to start a thread on my law-breaking driving.

No, it wasn't instructions.

Government has provided funding for cycling infrastructure and they have a cycling and walking investment strategy: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cycling-and-walking-investment-strategy

Some of the more recent funding pots for cycling infrastructure have been by a competitive bidding process (Cycle City Ambition Fund for one: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/multimillion-pound-government-funding-boost-for-cycle-safety )

That is a 2017 document.

The crappy paint jobs go back way beyond that.

Anyone that is concerned about cyclists doesn't paint gutters pink and call them a cycle lane.

Wow, over ten pages in.

Let me say that today I drove through two red lights on the way to work (I didn’t wanna stop on amber) and I exceeded the speed limit at least twice during my morning and evening commutes.

I’m waiting for somebody to start a thread on my law-breaking driving.

They won't, they don't care because they do it themselves.

I already tried pointing out that I break the law more often whilst driving, but since driving and speeding is something the anti cyclists do they can't possibly get uptight about that. And they'd probably just give a frown to a motorist running a red light. Cyclists though, different group, fair game for their repressed anger.

That is a 2017 document.

The crappy paint jobs go back way beyond that.

Anyone that is concerned about cyclists doesn't paint gutters pink and call them a cycle lane.

It was an example.

There isn't and never has been a direction from government to install cycle facilities, but they are encouraging it by making encouraging walking and cycling part of their policy and offering funding for cycling initiatives.

I think you will find that historically most places in the UK have traditionally provided the type of facility you mention, that being the best thing they could do with the amount of money available.

To be fair to Sheffield, they are now trying to provide a much better class of cycle facility. You can see they type of thing they are looking to do on Charter Row and in the scheme they've introduced in Broomhall.

When people get angry at a cyclist running a red light in front of them, it's probably more of a "oh my God I nearly crushed you" anger than anything else.... It would be from me.

If someone does it in a car and bumps their car, big deal, it'll buff out... If someone does it on a bike, they'll probably die.

They won't, they don't care because they do it themselves.

I already tried pointing out that I break the law more often whilst driving, but since driving and speeding is something the anti cyclists do they can't possibly get uptight about that. And they'd probably just give a frown to a motorist running a red light. Cyclists though, different group, fair game for their repressed anger.

I was slightly better today.

I didn't jump the red light this time; I stopped at the lights and a S-L-O-W driver came out of the junction and proceed to pootle up the hill at 20mph.

Twenty! In a thirty zone!

Stupid driver, if he wants to travel at twenty, maybe he should start cycling instead?

Mind you, in the spirit of dangerous driving, I saw a germanese binwagen charge its way onto a roundabout without giving way, forcing the other drivers to brake suddenly to avoid an accident.

I'm waiting for someone to create a thread on that example of dangerous driving.

When people get angry at a cyclist running a red light in front of them, it's probably more of a "oh my God I nearly crushed you" anger than anything else.... It would be from me.

If someone does it in a car and bumps their car, big deal, it'll buff out... If someone does it on a bike, they'll probably die.

And that's why I wouldn't consider running a red light. I can't just be dropped into the bodyshop and have a new panel and a respray!

It highlights the point that the cyclists who do behave badly are mainly a danger to themselves!

And that's why I wouldn't consider running a red light. I can't just be dropped into the bodyshop and have a new panel and a respray!

It highlights the point that the cyclists who do behave badly are mainly a danger to themselves!

I agree, but as someone who cycles (not a 'cyclist', I wasn't born with a bike frame welded to my pelvis) I still think it's dickish behaviour. If nothing else, it makes the rest of us look bad.