Cyclists going through red lights. Localised colour blindness?

You sound like you might be a bit on the dangerous side...

Sounds more like it was the cyclists that were on the dangerous side.

---------- Post added 21-09-2018 at 07:34 ----------

So you go ahead and prove that filtering on the inside is illegal. If you can't (which you can't), then it's legal, by definition, because nothing says otherwise.

The point that you don't understand is that if a cyclist is involved in an accident whilst filtering on the left side, then there could be an element of blame on their part. Filtering on the left could be seen as undertaking, which can be dangerous and should not be done. Filtering in-between two lanes of traffic on say a dual carriageway could also be viewed as undertaking.

Edited by WarPig

You absolutely could be to blame, you just don't seem to be able to comprehend this. If you are passing to the left of cars, inbetween them and the pavement then that is not responsible riding. When filtering you have a degree of responsibility to do so safely.

You're still wrong. If a car makes a maneuver into you, then the car is to blame. Filtering does not somehow absolve the car driver from driving safely, which includes making sure that what they are doing is safe and doesn't compromise the safety of other road users.

Filtering on the left hand side for a cycle is both responsible and expected. Car drivers are REQUIRED to look before they do anything such as move left or open a door.

What a ridiculous thing to say.

Admittedly, if there were a steep hill, and a queue of traffic on it, then excessive speed on a cycle would be possible.

However in reality most queues are not on steep hills and I need to actually peddle to make the bike move.

I think one day you could be in for a very big surprise. But you are clearly one of those cyclists who always think they are immune from being blameworthy. That part is clear.

Not true in the slightest, I try to remain immune from blame by not cycling badly, much like when I drive. I make mistakes though, I'm human.

But filtering is not a mistake, and should someone hit me whilst filtering then it will be entirely there fault. Fortunately the law determines that and not your opinion.

---------- Post added 21-09-2018 at 07:39 ----------

Does it? How so? I'm saying it's most likely that poster because I've never "nearly bowled over" a cyclist on Penistone Rd, despite using it nearly every day. So either he's very unlucky, or he's the actual problem.

The point that you don't understand is that if a cyclist is involved in an accident whilst filtering on the left side, then there could be an element of blame on their part. Filtering on the left could be seen as undertaking, which can be dangerous and should not be done. Filtering in-between two lanes of traffic on say a dual carriageway could also be viewed as undertaking.

Nope, the point you fail to understand is that filtering does not somehow make you to blame for other road users maneuvering without looking.

Filtering cannot be seen as undertaking, undertaking is something entirely different as you well know.

But filtering is not a mistake, and should someone hit me whilst filtering then it will be entirely there fault. Fortunately the law determines that and not your opinion.

You have a lot to learn and its actually quite worrying that there people like you on the roads.

Nope, the point you fail to understand is that filtering does not somehow make you to blame for other road users maneuvering without looking.

Filtering cannot be seen as undertaking, undertaking is something entirely different as you well know.

Personally i see filtering as being something that's a bit of a grey area (not illegal but not entirely advised in all circumstances) and definitely isn't something I do thinking I had the full weight of the law behind me, nor would I think if someone didn't see me as they swapped lanes that it would be entirely their fault. I do it (and I do it frequently) fully aware of how invisible I am and if there's any chance of a car swapping lanes, I proceed with considerable caution.

I was behind a cyclist (woman, not that that's relevant, but I'd imagine most would assume its a man) who got knocked off doing exactly the above on penistone road. The woman in the car just didn't see her and swapped lanes. The cyclist wasn't expecting it. We can sit here all day and argue about who's fault it was but really its just a mistake by the driver (not seeing the cyclist) and a lack of defensive riding by the cyclist.

I think I have noticed a tendency on fora and I have probably been guilty of this in the past, for cyclists to expect drivers to see them "because they should". Its not the case, as a cyclist you have to ride defensively for the sake of self preservation (I know you do,cyclone). Its not the fault of drivers that you have to ride like this, its simply because cyclists are small and so less visible relative to other vehicles.

Ideally there'd be lovely segregated prioritised cycle paths to ride on everywhere, but there isn't.

Edited by TimmyR

I'm very good looking. I'm extremely intelligent, I'm funny, gregarious, thoughtful, athletically gifted, and modest.

But I'm not blessed with magical powers of trans-apparation. Nor is anyone else.

People don't appear out of nowhere, that's magic, which isn't real. People do however, drive without *really* looking.

I've been surprised by a few cyclists over the years, every single time it's because I didn't look properly.

:hihi: do you have ESP though? I think that's sometimes expected so you can predict a motorist's next move...

---------- Post added 21-09-2018 at 07:34 ----------

If there's a cycle lane on the left leading to an advanced stop line at traffic lights, can cyclists ride along that alongside queuing traffic, in your view? Or is that still filtering, which "should not be done"?

Personally i see filtering as being something that's a bit of a grey area (not illegal but not entirely advised in all circumstances) and definitely isn't something I do thinking I had the full weight of the law behind me, nor would I think if someone didn't see me as they swapped lanes that it would be entirely their fault. I do it (and I do it frequently) fully aware of how invisible I am and if there's any chance of a car swapping lanes, I proceed with considerable caution.

I was behind a cyclist (woman, not that that's relevant, but I'd imagine most would assume its a man) who got knocked off doing exactly the above on penistone road. The woman in the car just didn't see her and swapped lanes. The cyclist wasn't expecting it. We can sit here all day and argue about who's fault it was but really its just a mistake by the driver (not seeing the cyclist) and a lack of defensive riding by the cyclist.

Agreed. For Cyclone to cycle the way he does whilst thinking he has the full weight of the law behind him is farcical, and ignorant.

---------- Post added 21-09-2018 at 08:07 ----------

:hihi: do you have ESP though? I think that's sometimes expected so you can predict a motorist's next move...

If there's a cycle lane on the left leading to an advanced stop line at traffic lights, can cyclists ride along that alongside queuing traffic, in your view? Or is that still filtering, which "should not be done"?

A cycle lane is different, but otherwise undertaking should not be done.

Agreed. For Cyclone to cycle the way he does whilst thinking he has the full weight of the law behind him is farcical, and ignorant.

---------- Post added 21-09-2018 at 08:07 ----------

A cycle lane is different, but otherwise undertaking should not be done.

On penistone road, for example, with slow moving traffic, undertaking is absolutely fine, legally permissible and safe, in any vehicle.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/undertaking/

On penistone road, for example, with slow moving traffic, undertaking is absolutely fine, legally permissible and safe, in any vehicle.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/undertaking/

Its allowed for vehicles on a dual carriageway in slow moving traffic, but for a cyclist to undertake to the left of a car and in-between the car and the kerb isn't a safe thing to do.

Its allowed for vehicles on a dual carriageway in slow moving traffic, but for a cyclist to undertake to the left of a car and in-between the car and the kerb isn't a safe thing to do.

if done with adequate caution at a slow speed when there's plenty of space and no junctions I don't really see the issue.

Gordon Bennett, still on this one?

Can we agree that both cyclists and motorists should look out for each other (in every sense)?

And being dead right does no-one any good?

You have a lot to learn and its actually quite worrying that there people like you on the roads.

I'd say that the comment applies to the person you see in the mirror.

You've actually had it explained with reference to the HC and court cases, and yet you still think you're right despite the evidence!

---------- Post added 22-09-2018 at 08:46 ----------

What do you mean "the way I do", you haven't the faintest how I cycle apart from the fact that I've said I filter when it's appropriate to do so...

Gordon Bennett, still on this one?

Can we agree that both cyclists and motorists should look out for each other (in every sense)?

And being dead right does no-one any good?

this is dead right!