Cyclists going through red lights. Localised colour blindness?

Whats wrong with the term Pedalists ?

I call cyclists MAMIL`s. ................. Middle Aged Men In Lycra.

What do you call them if they're not

a) male

b) middle aged

c) not wearing lycra?

Why should cyclists stop at lights?

I'm sick of impatient drivers

Going for a bike ride 8am near Marr on the Barnsley to Doncaster road, the ignorance of the drivers:rolleyes:

Chill

So this morning I saw a well known national brand of driving instructor (franchised I expect) with no student in the car, make an illegal left turn at Hillsborough corner, meaning they drove across the pedestrian crossing that had a green man.

But to balance it up yesterday I saw a cyclist run a red light and then hop onto the pavement to go through the same corner (in the other direction).

I know which was more dangerous though.

Answers simple, JUST OBEY THE LAW!

Thing is, we know we can't trust people to just obey.the law (drive below the limit, stop at red, put their <Removed> phone down, etc.)

I'm interested in what we can do to 'engineer' better behaviour.

We shouldn't be surprised by speeding drivers when we insist on building roads that are wide, and straight/sweeping.

We shouldn't be surprised by cyclists going through red lights, when doing so buys them a few moments away from traffic.

We can build roads that mean you *have* to slow down at junctions. This can be done by squaring off corners, or changes in road surface, etc. We can build roads that don't encourage / facilitate excessive speed, and require constant driver engagement.

It's a bit much to explain it all here, but it's fascinating just how .. normal, and dare I say 'attractive' these streets can look. And speeds are lower, noise is reduced, there's more space for planting and public spaces.

We build our urban roads like race tracks, and then act all outraged (guilty as anyone) that people drive quickly, and we don't feel safe to walk/cycle/play.

Edited by nikki-red

What do you call them if they're not

a) male

b) middle aged

c) not wearing lycra?

I really couldnt say on a family forum.

---------- Post added 08-09-2018 at 20:05 ----------

Cars are driven by the use of pedals as well, although not by pedaling, so perhaps pedelers, also steerers or steerists. But as we all know what motorist and cyclist mean to use any other term is just an attempt to demean and annoy.

Some motorists drive so slow, you could be forgiven for thinking they are actually peddling their car.

I really couldnt say on a family forum.

So other cyclists are worse than 'MAMIL'? Just curious where I would fit in to your particular world view :rolleyes:

We build our urban roads like race tracks, and then act all outraged (guilty as anyone) that people drive quickly, and we don't feel safe to walk/cycle/play.

Evidently you've never driven properly on a professional closed race-track. :roll:

Guest makapaka

Isn’t this thread daft.

There are bad drivers and bad cyclists- good drivers and good cyclists.

Thing is, we know we can't trust people to just obey.the law (drive below the limit, stop at red, put their <Removed> phone down, etc.)

I'm interested in what we can do to 'engineer' better behaviour.

We shouldn't be surprised by speeding drivers when we insist on building roads that are wide, and straight/sweeping.

We shouldn't be surprised by cyclists going through red lights, when doing so buys them a few moments away from traffic.

We can build roads that mean you *have* to slow down at junctions. This can be done by squaring off corners, or changes in road surface, etc. We can build roads that don't encourage / facilitate excessive speed, and require constant driver engagement.

It's a bit much to explain it all here, but it's fascinating just how .. normal, and dare I say 'attractive' these streets can look. And speeds are lower, noise is reduced, there's more space for planting and public spaces.

You make a very good point. Engineering safety into roads does happen a lot more than most would realise but it’s VERY expensive.

The other two E’s, education and enforcement are cheaper but we all know that the latter only really skims the top off the pile of non-compliant driver actions and attitude.

Education is key, then, and that’s my favourite but I fear I’m fighting a losing battle with that.

It is now LAW ...... 1.5 metres clearence for motorists passing cyclists.

LAW.

Stuff your red lights .......... how many motorists know the LAW or apply it?

1.5 metres.

Answers simple, JUST OBEY THE LAW!

What's the answer to? I wasn't asking or posing a question... :huh:

It is now LAW ...... 1.5 metres clearence for motorists passing cyclists.

LAW.

Stuff your red lights .......... how many motorists know the LAW or apply it?

1.5 metres.

Can we take it that also applies to cyclists who like to squeeze down the side of cars in traffic jams ?