Cyclists going through red lights. Localised colour blindness?

So if it's not stopped it then why bother with number plates for motor vehicles? The fact of the matter is that it's stopped countless instances due to the fact that the driver and vehicle have been identifiable.

Effectively what you're saying is that we shouldn't apply steps to kerb in the same way for cyclists breaking the law and ignoring the HC until ALL motor vehicles don't?

Yes, clearly the majority of motorists are compliant. What I'm saying is that if you're going to resource something, then tackle the thing that causes the most problem and carries the highest risk. That is currently the 1 million uninsured vehicles on the roads.

Yes, clearly the majority of motorists are compliant. What I'm saying is that if you're going to resource something, then tackle the thing that causes the most problem and carries the highest risk. That is currently the 1 million uninsured vehicles on the roads.

Absolutely spot on.

But its perfectly ok for cyclists to be uninsured ? :loopy:

In the grand scheme of uk road problems, yes.

and pedestrians, dog walkers and pram pushers too :loopy:

It's Pea Sea Gorn Maad

The problem with your approach is that you've already demonstrated that you don't understand the Highway Code by either willingly misinterpreting it, or by making things up. That suggests you don't carry out the refresher review. The vast majority of adult cyclists will also have driving licences, so your view that half of cyclists haven't read the Highway Code is likely to be way wide of the mark. For insurance and identification, it really will cost more to administer than it will offer in benefits. If you have a non-injury motoring incident try seeing how far you get with the police about it, and then think about how that would work with a cycling incident. Identifying motorists with licence plates hasn't stopped hit and run, dangerous driving, faulty vehicles etc etc. It would benefit the whole of society if those elements were tackled first rather than trying to find a scapegoat in cyclists.

I won't re-quote fill's post as stifflersmom has just said nearly everything I was thinking (are you my doppelganger?!!)

But also in response to fill, I accept that cycling may put me at risk. I live with it. Your ill-informed opinion is not going to stop me doing it (as you said right there in black and white).

Incidentally, is "pedalists" meant to be funny?

a motorist uses a car to run down 11-year-old girl on the pavement on their first day back to school because a pedestrian dared to question his driving

https://www.eta.co.uk/2018/09/07/road-rage-driver-runs-schoolgirl-pavement/

---------- Post added 08-09-2018 at 00:44 ----------

car driver ran down a teacher at the school gates because he was prevented from driving into the schoolyard, he had no insurance or MOT and used his vehicle as a weapon against the teacher

The ongoing bleating from fill just looks like jealousy to be honest, and his insistence on saying pedalists makes his real mentality perfectly clear.

The ongoing bleating from fill just looks like jealousy to be honest, and his insistence on saying pedalists makes his real mentality perfectly clear.

Whats wrong with the term Pedalists ?

I call cyclists MAMIL`s. ................. Middle Aged Men In Lycra.

So this morning I saw a well known national brand of driving instructor (franchised I expect) with no student in the car, make an illegal left turn at Hillsborough corner, meaning they drove across the pedestrian crossing that had a green man.

But to balance it up yesterday I saw a cyclist run a red light and then hop onto the pavement to go through the same corner (in the other direction).

I know which was more dangerous though.

Whats wrong with the term Pedalists ?

I call cyclists MAMIL`s. ................. Middle Aged Men In Lycra.

Absolutely nothing wrong with the term 'pedalists'

Motorists are called such because the vehicle they use is propelled by the use of a motor, be it IC or electric.

Cyclists are propelled by the use of pedals so pedalist would fit the convention.

Cars are driven by the use of pedals as well, although not by pedaling, so perhaps pedelers, also steerers or steerists. But as we all know what motorist and cyclist mean to use any other term is just an attempt to demean and annoy.