Cyclists going through red lights. Localised colour blindness?

Well the bloke I've just had an encounter with who came screaming between 2 cars to go left on this changed roundabout when the lights were on red https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Unnamed+Road,+Catcliffe,+Rotherham+S60+5TZ/@53.3888283,-1.3749872,137m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x4879762549699fdd:0x78c8108d1f490be5!2sCatcliffe!3b1!8m2!3d53.391073!4d-1.36295!3m4!1s0x487977d3453a5bf9:0xfe490fea515d578!8m2!3d53.3888283!4d-1.3744055 and nearly slamming into the side of a van would've deserved any injuries coming his way, a fine would be the least of his worries and to top it off he had a go at the van driver!

Are you an idiot? Cyclists don't do anything wrong and aren't capable of being a danger to themselves or others :hihi::hihi::hihi:

---------- Post added 22-08-2018 at 11:34 ----------

Some cycle lanes aren't fit for purpose.

Some are full of gravel, litter, broken glass.

So are some roads :suspect:

Some are halted with give way signs every hundred yards or less for a road junction or even someone's drive (on one road near me I'm sure the line painters were either bored or had a hundred gallons to use up).

If I'm on my slower mountain bike I will use them and adhere to the signs.

Heaven forbid cyclists needing to consider other road users and give way occasionally, my god will someone think of the children!

But if I'm on my road bike with my head down I'm afraid I'll use the road because its just not safe or practical to be doing 25mph and having to take my feet out of the pedal clips constantly.

So not looking where you are going,ergo without due care and attention which is covered under Careless cycling

Careless, and inconsiderate, cycling.

If a person rides a cycle on a road without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road, he is guilty of an offence.

Heaven forbid cyclists needing to consider other road users and give way occasionally,

here's the point.

people using a cycle lane beside a main road, often have to give way to the side roads.

people riding a bike along the main road, making the same journey, don't have to give way to side roads.

surely you can appreciate the inconvenience? why someone would choose the parallel route where they're given higher priority?

So not looking where you are going,ergo without due care and attention which is covered under Careless cycling

Not sure where I said I wasn't looking where I was going. Obviously you've never ridden a "racer" bike, or its just really poor attempt at trolling. Either way you've made yourself look a bit of a prat with your rant! :hihi:

What's the correlation between wanting cyclists to be insured/not understanding VED and being a Brexiteer....pretty high I imagine.

Backpeddling now are we.

No. Show me a single post where I support mandatory insurance for cyclists. Do it without changing the original post, please.

Not sure where I said I wasn't looking where I was going. Obviously you've never ridden a "racer" bike, or its just really poor attempt at trolling. Either way you've made yourself look a bit of a prat with your rant! :hihi:

Just because I disagree with you and deconstructed your post with multiple rebuttals doesn't make my post a "rant". The fact that you described it as such and then preceded with naming calling shows you're not up to the task of debating.

You said in an earlier post that stopping at a junction is an "inconvenience", well it's something that all vehicle users do. It's part of being a vehicle user.

If it's that much of an issue for you perhaps travelling anywhere using a method other than your own two feet isn't for you, in fact even pedestrians have to give way at times so maybe it should be the hermit life for you.

---------- Post added 22-08-2018 at 13:11 ----------

there's an argument to be made that insurance makes us less safe.

who cares if i crash the car? i'm insured, that'll cover the damage.

i've got friends who've crashed and written off cars, injured people, destroyed other people's property, etc. Insurance has allowed these demonstrably unsafe drivers to continue driving in much the same manner as before.

(they didn't have to cover the costs of replacing their lovely fast cars, the medical bills of the injured 3rd parties, etc. the insurance did, no lessons were learned)

So basically you're advocating that no-body should have insurance all because you believe cyclists shouldn't :loopy:

Heaven forbid cyclists needing to consider other road users and give way occasionally, my god will someone think of the children!

The irony, it hurts!

Heaven forbid motorists needing to consider other road users and wait a few seconds to safely overtake a cyclist. :thumbsup:

---------- Post added 22-08-2018 at 13:46 ----------

Well said I agree.

That's 2 quotes you've edited to completely invert the meaning.

Enjoy your forum holiday.

Mod Note

Posts removed for deliberate misquotes.

When quoting other users, you may edit out sections you are not responding to.

However you may not change the meaning of the quote from the original post.

If you aren't sure or think there might be the slightest danger of changing the meaning from the original then don't edit the quote at all.

J

You said in an earlier post that stopping at a junction is an "inconvenience", well it's something that all vehicle users do. It's part of being a vehicle user.

Perhaps you've not realised that on a cycle it's more of an inconvenience. We don't burn petrol to get going again, it takes physical effort. And as well as being effort it takes longer than in a car.

So given the option of using a cycle lane with multiple give ways for every side road, or a road where you have priority over the side roads, is it any surprise that some cyclists choose to use the road?

If it's that much of an issue for you perhaps travelling anywhere using a method other than your own two feet isn't for you, in fact even pedestrians have to give way at times so maybe it should be the hermit life for you.

If cycles on the road are such an issue for you then perhaps you shouldn't be driving.

So basically you're advocating that no-body should have insurance all because you believe cyclists shouldn't :loopy:

No, just demonstrating that insurance doesn't make anyone safer. Not that it needed demonstrating, it's self evident.

So basically you're advocating that no-body should have insurance all because you believe cyclists shouldn't

that's quite an extrapolation!

i was answering the question : does insurance make us safer?

pedestrians/cyclists/skateboarders/horse riders/etc. rarely cause serious harm to people or property.

as such, there is no need for insurance. the costs incurred could and can be recovered from the average person.

motor vehicles, on the other hand, are much faster, and heavier. they often do cause serious harm to people and property, with repair, care, and compensation costs sometimes running into £millions

that's why motor vehicles need insurance. the average person simply does not have the financial assets to cover the costs incurred during a serious collision.

Edited by ads36

Guest makapaka
Perhaps you've not realised that on a cycle it's more of an inconvenience. We don't burn petrol to get going again, it takes physical effort. And as well as being effort it takes longer than in a car.

So given the option of using a cycle lane with multiple give ways for every side road, or a road where you have priority over the side roads, is it any surprise that some cyclists choose to use the road?

If cycles on the road are such an issue for you then perhaps you shouldn't be driving.

No, just demonstrating that insurance doesn't make anyone safer. Not that it needed demonstrating, it's self evident.

It makes younger drivers safer when their driving data is linked to their premium.

It makes younger drivers safer when their driving data is linked to their premium.

In that case it's the fact that they are being monitored that makes the difference. If the data was sent to the police rather than an insurance company it would still have the same effect.