Cyclists going through red lights. Localised colour blindness?

I think Cyclone & Stifflersmom & others agree we need insurance for cyclists.

What's the point of a cycle Lane?

That particular one is ok heading to Hathersage but still is full of gravel and debris in parts...particularly where it crosses access routes to the fields on the left. Heading out of Hatherssge it is worse as it is potholed and prone to debris from both the road and the overhanging trees. These considerations are not always evident from a vehicle.

Edited by stifflersmom

to give people a the option of a safe cycle route.

you can't get on or off the A6187 path without using the main road, from the junction at the petrol station, to the corner before the bridge in Hathersage.

junctions and pinch-points *are* the dangerous bits, and the 'cycle-path' does nothing to help you at these points.

if you're already using the road for the dangerous bits, there's little benefit to your safety from moving onto the cycle-path.

and it's simply not wide enough. if it's supposed to carry bi-directional pedestrian and cycle traffic then it needs to be double the width (look on street-view, look how wide it could be), arguably on both sides, the space is there, why didn't they do it properly?

and you have to give way to the side roads - you get priority if you're using the road, but you have to give way if you're using the cycle lane. it's very frustrating.

it's basically a text-book example of how to waste money building a bad cycle-lane, which then gets used as justification not to build more cycle lanes.

which is exactly what's just happened!

Edited by ads36

Also the speed limit applies to bicycles... although every time I go anywhere on my bike or in my car I see 100s of people ignoring the speed limit... and no doubt some of them have no tax, test or insurance.

I don't think that the speed limit does apply.

---------- Post added 22-08-2018 at 09:22 ----------

You're clearly drunk in charge of a keyboard then, or unable to comprehend basic English.

You're clearly drunk in charge of a keyboard then, or unable to comprehend basic English.

Reading between the lines you conceded the point way back. Still haven't said if motorists are safe or less with insurance?

there's an argument to be made that insurance makes us less safe.

who cares if i crash the car? i'm insured, that'll cover the damage.

i've got friends who've crashed and written off cars, injured people, destroyed other people's property, etc. Insurance has allowed these demonstrably unsafe drivers to continue driving in much the same manner as before.

(they didn't have to cover the costs of replacing their lovely fast cars, the medical bills of the injured 3rd parties, etc. the insurance did, no lessons were learned)

Edited by ads36

Some drivers treat driving like a game of snooker. You have to get a red before you can go for a colour.

and of course, the sad reality is that the real answer to the question :

is, they're for parking in.

and here's the crazy thing, it's often not illegal to park in a cycle lane, what's the chuffing point of a cycle lane that you're allowed to park a car/van/lorry/bus in?

Some cycle lanes aren't fit for purpose.

Some are full of gravel, litter, broken glass.

Some are halted with give way signs every hundred yards or less for a road junction or even someone's drive (on one road near me I'm sure the line painters were either bored or had a hundred gallons to use up).

If I'm on my slower mountain bike I will use them and adhere to the signs.

But if I'm on my road bike with my head down I'm afraid I'll use the road because its just not safe or practical to be doing 25mph and having to take my feet out of the pedal clips constantly.

Reading between the lines you conceded the point way back. Still haven't said if motorists are safe or less with insurance?

Let me spell it out for you. No, I didn't and no I don't concede that point.

And I have quite clearly said that insurance doesn't increase safety. I'll quote it for you, but you need to practice your English comprehension.

---------- Post added 22-08-2018 at 10:33 ----------

Tax and insurance don't make anything safer for anyone, quite clearly they have no impact on safety.

Perhaps the big words meant you didn't understand this? :roll:

---------- Post added 22-08-2018 at 10:40 ----------

Are you sure? I'd like to see the definitive evidence for this, as I understood that although the fixed penaltiy fines applied, you could not accrue points on a driving licence for cycling offences (with the specific exception of causing bodily harm by wanton or furious cycling or racing, or by wilful misconduct or wilful neglect on a bicycle).

I've checked, you can only get points whilst cycling for a) going equipped to steal, b) hanging onto a motor vehicle.

Jumping a red light can only attract a fine.

Guest makapaka

The insurance for young drivers with satellite tracking makes things safer.

You couldn't be more wrong. My posts make it crystal clear that I don't believe cyclusts should be insured. The fact that I am insured doesn't alter that.