Cyclists going through red lights. Localised colour blindness?

I ride an e-bike, which makes me superior to any other cyclist.

Most of the bad behaviour I see on my commute appears to be people on regular old mountain bikes.

The lights at the hillsborough interchange are a favourite, I stop, quite a number of cycles however just hop onto the pavement, cycle past the light and back out onto the road.

Perhaps they should actually put in a cycle path there, and then it would at least be legal and expected.

i agree the mountain bike type are the worst, usually with some sort of rucksack, combat gear and a helmet with a camera,peddling furiously and acting more like urban warriors:roll:

Well, I have a rucksack, difficult to take the laptop to work otherwise, but no combat gear and I keep my camera on my handlebars. I added that after a driver nearly ran me down by turning left whilst overtaking me. If I'd have a camera at the time I'd have reported them for dangerous driving.

they seldom indicate and when they do some think that doing so gives them the right to make their intended maneuver regardless of traffic ..they seldom use life-savers probably due to most of them having had no training. they are bit like baby birds in that respect once they can take off (or stay upright and pedal) they are on their own and if birds survive all well and good. .. if cyclists fail to survive then unfortunately some poor sod probably has some repairs to do their vehicle

Oh, we're on Audi drivers now?

I really don't understand why cyclists and motorbikers use cameras to record bad driving by others. When you are on a push bike or motorbike you have to expect that none of the motorists have seen you, and anticipate them turning into you, and cutting you up. It shouldn't happen, but it does. They don't usually mean to do it, its just that they haven't seen you, even though they should have seen you and its their duty to have seen you. Just accept that they haven't. I don't see the need for revenge against them.

Yes, you will usually have been in the right, but being in the right is no good when you're laying in a hospital bed or 6ft under. If you ride and take precautions as if you're invisible then you shouldn't come to any harm.

When Im on my motorbike or pushbike and see one of my own wearing a camera I shake my head in despair. Especially if they report every bad driver they see as if they themselves are some kind of road angel :huh:

WarPig - some interesting points but I disagree to an extent about cameras (which I keep thinking about) and carelessness

Every now and then I have had a driver deliberately intimidate me (Blue Fiat Stilo anyone?). Recently I even had one see me - there was eye contact as I approached a junction to turn in - and they still pulled out in front of me. I also regularly get over taken by a car who then cuts me up and brakes forcing me to slow down

I am thinking about a camera to give me evidence in court when I eventually hit a pedestrian who walks out in front of me while doing the phone zombie thing - with that recent case in London it seems that pedestrians feel they have a god given right to walk out in front of cyclists and then blame the rider

I really don't understand why cyclists and motorbikers use cameras to record bad driving by others. When you are on a push bike or motorbike you have to expect that none of the motorists have seen you, and anticipate them turning into you, and cutting you up. It shouldn't happen, but it does. They don't usually mean to do it, its just that they haven't seen you, even though they should have seen you and its their duty to have seen you. Just accept that they haven't. I don't see the need for revenge against them.

Yes, you will usually have been in the right, but being in the right is no good when you're laying in a hospital bed or 6ft under. If you ride and take precautions as if you're invisible then you shouldn't come to any harm.

When Im on my motorbike or pushbike and see one of my own wearing a camera I shake my head in despair. Especially if they report every bad driver they see as if they themselves are some kind of road angel :huh:

You don't understand why you might want evidence of someone who runs into you. If you have a serious accident there's a good chance you won't actually remember it.

I don't use the camera thinking that being in the right will somehow protect me, but you can't anticipate someone starting to overtake you and then just turning left into you, or rather, even if you anticipate such poor and homicidal driving the only option would be to stop cycling to avoid it.

I'd rather get it on video and have that person removed from the roads, making them safer for everyone.

A car literally ran into the back of me, had me up on the bonnet, they then drove off at high speed. Had I had my rear camera in place I could have reported the registration plate to the police, as it was, unfortunately I had nothing to report apart from small blue car just ran into me and then drove off, sorry, didn't get the make, model or VRM.

No, I do understand that part of it, especially if a prosecution helps with an insurance claim for a severe disability.

But I choose instead to accept there are evil motorists on the road who hate me when I'm on my pushbike or motorbike, and I try to adapt my riding style and ride over cautiously. I just couldn't be bothered faffing about with cameras every time I go out for a ride. Each to there own I guess.

No, I do understand that part of it, especially if a prosecution helps with an insurance claim for a severe disability.

But I choose instead to accept there are evil motorists on the road who hate me when I'm on my pushbike or motorbike, and I try to adapt my riding style and ride over cautiously. I just couldn't be bothered faffing about with cameras every time I go out for a ride. Each to there own I guess.

Actually, assuming every driver is completely incompetant is a good policy. Assuming they haven't seen you also works.. however, that didn't help me when being hit from behind by a white van (as has happened to me, leaving me in a heap in the gutter as they drove off)... it can help, but won't protect you from all the idiots.

Short of not riding there's no way to avoid the totally homicidal or totally incompetent.

The camera might help you get justice applied though.

It's really little effort for me to turn on 2 cameras before my commute, takes me about 10 seconds. And I have to charge them once a week, no big deal, carry them into the office or house, plug into usb chargers.

Actually, assuming every driver is completely incompetant is a good policy.

Yes- for drivers as well as for cyclists.

When I learned to drive, I was told to regard all other road-users as murderous psychopaths intent on causing harm and to steer well clear of 'em all. Who was it who first said that the most dangerous part of a car is the nut behind the wheel?