Cyclists going through red lights. Localised colour blindness?

Its the same old story ,everyone is wrong except cyclists ,THEY are always RIGHT

Its the same old story ,everyone is wrong except cyclists ,THEY are always RIGHT

Apart from the motorcyclists - the rest of us must remember to 'Think Bike' as they weave in and out of lanes and tear past us breaking the speed limit.

Does that include or exclude the cyclists that wait at the red light?

---------- Post added 25-04-2018 at 20:42 ----------

//I've noticed by some cyclists//

I would say a sizeable minority jump red lights!

At this particular location, at that time of day (morning) it's actually the majority who go through the red lights, very few stop and wait there.

---------- Post added 25-04-2018 at 20:44 ----------

So on that green light the cyclist could cross the road and then ride right past the crossing and all the people using it on the pavement/cycle path.

As Cyclone pointed out, it may well be that the cycle path I highlighted is only for the use of oncoming cycle traffic. I really don't know enough about cycle paths and it's an interesting point.

---------- Post added 25-04-2018 at 20:52 ----------

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.373755,-1.468105,3a,75y,138.64h,83.34t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGLqerUD0xP9s0p1TarUnhw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Looking here at the cyclists coming out of Shoreham Street South, it's possible that they can't even see the lights until they're in a position where it's not safe to stop...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3738339,-1.4679977,3a,75y,63.04h,90.02t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sLpm_2LspYHB5n3o2_ANuUw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The lights themselves have filter thingies over them.

But I think you can see the red light

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3735992,-1.4680797,3a,75y,10.96h,74.41t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stW8B-JDWIVwlZB-GkwDnHw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

From the exit of the cycle path, although it's not clear when it would actually be safe to exit that cycle path to continue across...

Possibly the whole thing is just badly though out and isn't working for anyone.

I walked this way home tonight and went to have a look from the Shoreham street (south) point of view. The lights at the crossing are very clearly visible from the cyclists' point of view.

With the cyclist this morning claiming that he didn't go through a red light, coupled with Taxman pointing out that there is a dedicated cycle traffic light on the south side (there is, I looked at it tonight), and the sheer volume of cyclists who go through this crossing on red, I'm starting to think it's just down to a complete misunderstanding of the system;

The cycle light turns green, cyclists (most) cross over St. Mary's road and approach the crossing, assume that because the previous light was on green that they still have right of way through the crossing.

It is a bit of a funny arrangement and it's worth remembering that some or many cyclists will have no knowledge of the highway code.

The lights preventing people turning left onto Shoreham St have those strange blind things on...to me this would indicate that the lights preventing car drivers turning left from St Marys down Shoreham aren't meant to be seen by the cyclists sat at their distinct junction across the road. They have their one individual cycle lane light.

Its a preposterous layout that gives a cyclist both green and red simultaneously. It would never be set up that way for motorised traffic.

However there is a stop line at the red light and it is possible to, and correct to stop there, in that respect its no different to left turning vehicles passing the green light and reaching the red crossing light.

As for following the green line on the OP's map, that would also involve crossing the stop line of a red light, the pedestrian crossing lights there being timed to coincide with the cycle green light, so is no different.

Ridiculous as the layout is, cycles should cross the road junction on their green but stop at the crossing red.

(Just as drivers should stop at the new crossing on Brook Hill by the university at a red light and also not enter the crossing when the exit is not clear queueing across the crossing, then set off despite pedestrians crossing on their green - since we're generalising about road users)

Edited by Squiggs

I remember being totally confused by all the cycle lanes and silly bollards that were put up around Young St a few years ago. I took photos...stupid bollards everywhere with arrows pointing in multiple directions.

The lights preventing people turning left onto Shoreham St have those strange blind things on...to me this would indicate that the lights preventing car drivers turning left from St Marys down Shoreham aren't meant to be seen by the cyclists sat at their distinct junction across the road. They have their one individual cycle lane light.

Only the green and amber lights are shuttered, that would suggest to me that the red is meant to be seen from the cyclists' approach, to ensure they know to stop at the crossing. I would say that the shuttered green & ambers are to prevent cyclists setting off at the wrong time, straight into several lanes of fast moving cars.

Common sense should also dictate that if people are walking over a pedestrian crossing and the light facing you is red, you should probably stop and let people cross.

Edited by RootsBooster

Clearly not true, there are cyclists commenting here who agree that running red lights isn't on. :roll:

I routinely see drivers run lights and make banned turns, I don't make up nonsense that all drivers think it's okay though.

---------- Post added 26-04-2018 at 08:05 ----------

It is a bit of a funny arrangement and it's worth remembering that some or many cyclists will have no knowledge of the highway code.

This seems highly unlikely, the majority of commuting cyclists are also motorists.

Although now I've said that, perhaps you mean that as with motorists the majority of cyclists only have a passing familiarity with the highway code from 5/10/20 years ago when they last studied it.

Clearly not true, there are cyclists commenting here who agree that running red lights isn't on. :roll:

Yep, I cycle everyday Sheffield. I stop for all red-lights. Some cyclists I see make a point of going through reds. Others stop at them. It's a 50/50ish mix of good and bad.

Yep, I cycle everyday Sheffield. I stop for all red-lights. Some cyclists I see make a point of going through reds. Others stop at them. It's a 50/50ish mix of good and bad.

Same here, it annoys me no end to pull up at a light only to have the cyclist behind me just go through. It's laziness and disrespect for the rules and other road users. It creates danger, mainly for that cyclist, but it also gives entitled car drivers fuel for their dislike of all other forms of road use and that creates danger for me! :rant:

Nearly got knocked down by a cyclist going down the pavement yesterday - who then had the nerve to shake his head at me and make some comment about 'getting out of the way'!

I obviously took the opportunity to point out that he should be on the road, rather than racing down the pavement. Complete arsehole.

A car ran into the back of me on my bike, and when I got up and moved around to the side they drove off.

You get people like that travelling by every form. I regularly find pedestrians on the cycle path along Infirmary Road.