Mice! Help! Please!

Consider baiting with something like a scone with a bit of fruit not only on the trap but around it.

The old softy in me also says, consider a humane trap, so yo can release the mouse away from your property. Nothing starts your day off badly as having to deal with a little dead mouse.

If you use humane traps, please check them every six hours or so. Otherwise you will have an inhumane trap as the mouse suffocates or starved or dehydrates.

Sorry to mention this but Mice and Rats Defecate as they move, they pee a lot, try and keep work surfaces, cupboards, cup's plates etc where you think they may have been clean with a good quallity surface cleaner hot water and fairy liquid.

Edited by MEC176

Usually find a piece of Mars Bar on the trap does the trick

Get a cat.

I had a similar problem at my previous house and I can recommend these

http://www.wilko.com/pest-control/rentokil-advanced-mouse-trap-twin/invt/0471331

I just used a small piece of chocolate as bait, and the mice were trapped on the very first night.

Be careful when setting up the trap though, as the trap is very sensitive to the slightest touch (which is what you want) and the spring is strong enough to cause damage to your finger.

Get a cat.

or befriend a fox.

Not seen any rats in our neighbourhood since the foxes took over.

They don’t half leave a mess in your garden though, cheeky buggers :hihi:

Thank you all for your advice! It’s very much appreciated, though just to add that you’ve no idea of my mother’s circumstances, mental wellbeing, fitness levels etc, so while I really do appreciate your help regarding my query, I don’t appreciate the two of you who thought that I should be telling my mother to ‘get a grip’. My mother is my rock & my best friend & has done more for me in my 35 years than I could ever start to repay (not that she would ever expect that of me). I’m doing for her exactly what I want to do for her & not what’s expected. I just wanted a bit of advice to enable to do this as best as I possibly can!

Have you thought of getting a cat? You can get one from the RSPCA shelte.r

It can take many attempts to catch a mouse . Like it has been said attaching the bait securely is essential , so the mouse has to pull the bait with force and also the trap mechanism can be slightly adjusted so that the holding rod is as near to the end as possible , watch your fingers try to put trap in position before setting . Patience is the key . Try also to find where they are getting in in the first place .

A couple of years ago I found evidence of mice at my place. Being new in the place I decided to clear up any signs of mice just in case it was from a previous problem.

And then... I was sat watching TV and in it walked, as if it owned the place! A small brown mouse came in the living room. It walked around a bit and then sat between me and the TV on the carpet staring right at me! As soon as I stood up it was off, never to be seen again. One gutsy little mouse.

If the little guy is still here, they are doing a good job of cleaning up. No signs of mice and the small brown mouse has never been seen again.

On a side note, different people fear different things. I don't see it as silly (polite term) For me it's wasps, I hate em!! I see one and go into kill mode... those buggars eye you up before they get you!

That's amazing.

That's amazing.

It is indeed.

Out of curiosity I have to give it a try. Saying that, if I catch them I couldn't kill them. It could well be a long game of rinse, release and repeat.