Don valley Railway

37 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

https://www.railtech.com/all/2023/11/30/englands-new-derbyshire-and-south-yorkshire-rail-link-moves-closer/?gdpr=accept

Possible enabler for Don Valley rail, as part of the Barrow Hill line is reopening Victoria Station.

Why would anybody want to use train services to/from Victoria? 

A new station at Waverley would be served by current services on the Lincoln line.

• Like 1

The convenience of having a railway service in the Fox Valley would be completely annulled by having it stop/start from Victoria. People would have to walk up the Wicker and on Lady's Bridge to get to Waingate, where all shops have closed. They'd be better off getting the 57 direct to Arundel Gate & Moor Markets. 

Complete waste of money when we can't get the MML electrification to Sheffield confirmed with contractors appointed and Sheffield station reconfigured to take more trains.

The pinch points in both the Sheaf and Don Valleys also need to be resolved before trying to push more trains through on already crowded corridors for already crowded trains.

Priorities. 

6 minutes ago, 1978 said:

Complete waste of money when we can't get the MML electrification to Sheffield confirmed with contractors appointed and Sheffield station reconfigured to take more trains.

The pinch points in both the Sheaf and Don Valleys also need to be resolved before trying to push more trains through on already crowded corridors for already crowded trains.

Priorities. 

The Don Valley line will not interfere with the Southern end of Sheffield station and it is unknown/doubtful that it will intertwine with the north end, being undecided if they are going for ANOTHER tram train option or a train terminating at Victoria (pointless). Sheffield Midland has some relief lines around it  which could be used to hold trains for late running/prioritised express services but given that freight trains can block plattorm 6 completely for a significant time with no delays, capacity isn't much of an issue. Some units do head out towards Nunnery/Woodhouse to free up space in turn around times. Electrification is not necessary, or what Network Rail, ORR, DFT and the TOCs should be focussing on. The diesel trains work fine and cope well with the hilly Sheffield terrain. 

10 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

The Don Valley line will not interfere with the Southern end of Sheffield station and it is unknown/doubtful that it will intertwine with the north end, being undecided if they are going for ANOTHER tram train option or a train terminating at Victoria (pointless). Sheffield Midland has some relief lines around it  which could be used to hold trains for late running/prioritised express services but given that freight trains can block plattorm 6 completely for a significant time with no delays, capacity isn't much of an issue. Some units do head out towards Nunnery/Woodhouse to free up space in turn around times. Electrification is not necessary, or what Network Rail, ORR, DFT and the TOCs should be focussing on. The diesel trains work fine and cope well with the hilly Sheffield terrain. 

I guess you are unaware that the government and the industry are all working to get rid of diesel traction on the railways. where electric is not an option then battery power or perhaps even hydrogen are the favoured options at the moment

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigAl1 said:

I guess you are unaware that the government and the industry are all working to get rid of diesel traction on the railways. where electric is not an option then battery power or perhaps even hydrogen are the favoured options at the moment

I am aware but it's all part of a bigger agenda and the climate change con. 

On 04/12/2023 at 09:56, BigAl1 said:

It is better to electrify more main lines making a their diesels redundant, useful for  work on less busy lines that don't (at the moment) justify electrification (at least to main line spec - the tram train to Rotherham has only been done to tram 500vdc) such as Don valley. Better to work to scrap condition rather than just scrap whilst still perfectly serviceable, same as they say about cars regarding real environmental benefit of scrapping good I.C.E. to go electric.
We will be needing some for a long time yet, we keep having to pull them out of museums when in the crap that rotten politics and misguided do gooding gets us into.

On 24/04/2018 at 22:02, drolnhoj said:

I consider myself of reasonable intelligence but the post is far too complicated for me to take in. I guess it is all to do with the upgrade of the rail network but I can't get my head around what you are saying. Maybe a summary would help.

👍