Don valley Railway

Despite all the political games and the inevitable tit-for-tat argument being done by politicians point scoring in Westminster, I would have thought that most people would be quite happy with this new announced proposals.  

After all from the moment HS2 was announced all I have heard is people slagging it off.... banging on about its destructive construction, damage to wildlife and forests, pointlessness, timescales expense etc.....   Lots of people kept banging on about how the money should be better spent with  focusing on improving the existing rail links and local infrastructures in the region-  well now they are.

Clearly that won't stop Andy Burnham and his tribe of overpaid pointless regional mayors using it as another excuse to do a load of slagging off of the government.

26 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Clearly that won't stop Andy Burnham and his tribe of overpaid pointless regional mayors using it as another excuse to do a load of slagging off of the government.

Wouldn't it still be fair for them to say, 'we told you to do this +5 years ago'?

1 hour ago, ECCOnoob said:

Despite all the political games and the inevitable tit-for-tat argument being done by politicians point scoring in Westminster, I would have thought that most people would be quite happy with this new announced proposals.  

After all from the moment HS2 was announced all I have heard is people slagging it off.... banging on about its destructive construction, damage to wildlife and forests, pointlessness, timescales expense etc.....   Lots of people kept banging on about how the money should be better spent with  focusing on improving the existing rail links and local infrastructures in the region-  well now they are.

Why would Burnham be upset? This plan confirms includes building the HS2 between Birmingham and Manchester and connections. 

On 15/11/2021 at 11:31, AndrewC said:

Victoria isn't going to reopen as an all-singing, all-dancing central station again, no, but it's not inconceivable that it could re-open as a small station.

It's connectivity out there at the far end of the Wicker on it's own wouldn't be great though. No train link to Midland, no tram link, limited bus services outside. As I said in a post above, infrastructure like this often creates its own demand (you'd see a growth in new developments around Victoria), but it would be limited without connections to the rest of the city centre/transport system.

A stop near to the park n ride at  Middlewood would make a good compromise or even extending the tramline a bit to meet it.

On 15/11/2021 at 13:44, ECCOnoob said:

The problem is most of the improvements to the existing network that the government keep claiming as part of their new "integrated rail plan" are existing projects that have been reannounced and would have happened as well as HS2, which was to be a major investment in extra capacity on the rail network.

Anyway, back to the topic of Don Valley Railway, this is the existing line which runs from Fox Valley retail park in Stocksbridge (and the steel works) through Deepcar, Neepsend and Bridgehouses, over the Wicker Arches, past Nunnery Square and on through Darnall and Woodhouse stations towards Lincoln. There is also a junction just after Woodhouse with a line to Chesterfield via Beighton, Killamarsh and Barrow Hill that is used principally by freight trains.

There are studies currently funded to reopen both the Stocksbridge and Chesterfield lines. Trains from Chesterfield via Woodhouse could run into Sheffield Midland station although there isn't really the capacity available to accommodate them. There isn't a connection from the Stocksbridge direction (when that was the old Woodhead line trains served Sheffield Victoria. There is a suggestion of newly introduced passenger services on those lines being a tram-train service added to the Supertram network, a connection could be made between the main line railway and the tramway near Nunnery depot allowing services from both Chesterfield and Stocksbridge to run into Sheffield City Centre via the tramway.

Will be interesting if anything comes of these proposals!

Could the Don Valley line come back?  Just heard Rishi state so when announcing the end of the HS2 Birmingham onwards leg is to be scrapped.  He mentioned hundreds of smaller projects including full electrification from Manchester to Sheffield, and later mentioned the Don Valley.

the volume of provable lies that's come out of the tory party conference tells us that we can't believe a single thing they say.

Edited by ads36

Reopening of the Don Valley Line would coincide perfectly with the reopening of the Barrow Hill Line, as after Darnall trains can easily continue straight on into a reopened Victoria or branch south at Nunnery into the existing Midland.

Reopening of the stations at Neepsend is Wadsley Bridge is surely feasible.

Oughtibridge and Deepcar might need a bit of consideration as the original station sites have long been private dwellings, and to be fair the Deepcar station site is quite a way out of the village centre.

Stocksbridge would benefit from a terminus station somewhere along the existing line to the steelworks, perhaps adjacent to the Fox Valley Shopping Park, bang in the middle of the town.

Personally, living in Killamarsh, it would become the quickest way for me to get to town (15 mins?) or Hillsborough (25 mins?).

1 hour ago, muddywolf said:

Could the Don Valley line come back?  Just heard Rishi state so when announcing the end of the HS2 Birmingham onwards leg is to be scrapped.  He mentioned hundreds of smaller projects including full electrification from Manchester to Sheffield, and later mentioned the Don Valley.

Yeah, but he's an electioneering politician, so it's all just hot air.

Is Totley Tunnel or Edale Tunnel (might not be called Edale Tunnel) big enough for the overhead cables and collectors on top of an electric train? I'm no rail expert but it seems unlikely.

This seems to suggest it's potentially technically feasible though....

https://anonw.com/2017/07/26/electrifying-tunnels-for-bi-mode-trains/

Edited by Bargepole23

9 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Yeah, but he's an electioneering politician, so it's all just hot air.

Is Totley Tunnel or Edale Tunnel (might not be called Edale Tunnel) big enough for the overhead cables and collectors on top of an electric train? I'm no rail expert but it seems unlikely.

This seems to suggest it's potentially technically feasible though....

https://anonw.com/2017/07/26/electrifying-tunnels-for-bi-mode-trains/

If I remember correctly Totley tunnel , no .  Chinley tunnel ( Edale ) , I don’t know.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, muddywolf said:

Back to the future  - Sheffield to Manchester via Woodhead was electrified back in the 1950's. Mind you seems half the Tories live a good 80 years in the past so probably seems very futuristic to them 😎