Stephen Lawrence day

Theresa May has said that the 22 April will be a national day of commemoration , every year , for the murdered teenager . What about other people who are murdered ? I know its tragic what happened and I think this is probably politically motivated but I think this is going to far . We could realistically have one of these days , 365 days of the year for others that have been brutally murdered

You are right of course but this is all about making the MET feel better after their abysmal handling of Stevens murder .Two are serving life for that cowardly racial attack but up to another six or so are still walking the streets .

I agree that it's going too far. All the others who have been murdered for racial and hate crimes also should be remembered. This obviously is not practrical, there would probably be multiple for every day of the year

Another stupid idea from our Government!

Guest makapaka
Theresa May has said that the 22 April will be a national day of commemoration , every year , for the murdered teenager . What about other people who are murdered ? I know its tragic what happened and I think this is probably politically motivated but I think this is going to far . We could realistically have one of these days , 365 days of the year for others that have been brutally murdered

Did you watch the Stephen Lawrence documentary last week “the murder that changed a nation”

That would have explained it.

It was a fantastic documentary.

it is political, it was a watershed moment in race relations and waking up to institutional racism

it is political, it was a watershed moment in race relations and waking up to institutional racism

Gosh Mel quoting from the Daily Fail - give that man a blue peter badge

Guest makapaka
Gosh Mel quoting from the Daily Fail - give that man a blue peter badge

What are your thoughts about it?

Did you watch the Stephen Lawrence documentary last week “the murder that changed a nation”

That would have explained it.

It was a fantastic documentary.

Ive seen lots of documentaries on many things and still felt questions needed to be answered . Could you explain , even though you thought " it was a fantastic documentary " , why you think this day needs remembering , when others are not ?

Guest makapaka
Ive seen lots of documentaries on many things and still felt questions needed to be answered . Could you explain , even though you thought " it was a fantastic documentary " , why you think this day needs remembering , when others are not ?

Because the actions of his parents brought about significant legal change and also institutional change in the police force that has benefitted the nation.

They challenged the establishment despite overwhelming red tape and institutionalised racism and ultimately instigated change.

It fundamentally changed the nation.

I’m not placing any further value on a particular life but that is why it is worth remembering.

Why don’t you feel it should be remembered differently?

Because the actions of his parents brought about significant legal change and also institutional change in the police force that has benefitted the nation.

They challenged the establishment despite overwhelming red tape and institutionalised racism and ultimately instigated change.

It fundamentally changed the nation.

I’m not placing any further value on a particular life but that is why it is worth remembering.

Why don’t you feel it should be remembered differently?

It didn't fundamentally change me . It was a horrible crime yes , but the comment that it changed a nation is laughable . Murders are happening every day , both racist and none racist , yet you say it changed the nation . It happened 25 years ago how has it changed anything ? All lives are sacred , all should be remembered .

We could have a "Remember PC Keith Blakelock " day. A police constable brutally murdered whilst doing his duty during the Broadwater Farm riots in Tottenham.

Edited by petemcewan