Wanted Acer Tree

I've got a lot of Acer pseudoplatanus (sycamores) you can have for free, and welcome.

You're probably going to want to be a lot more specific than just asking for acers. I suspect you want Acer palmatum, Japanese maple? In which case, any particular leaf colours or shapes, do you want upright, weeping or don't mind?

...unless you really do just want any acer, in which case I'll happily help you dig out some sycamores. I can't recommend them though.

I have a few Japanese Maples, you could have one of those! they're only small though, bought them as babies last year but they've not grown their leaves back yet this year!

Morrison's and Asda have then In £3 pound need to be grown on

Hi, tried to grown a couple of small Japanese Maples's last year and both looked great for a while but have died over winter, should these be sheltered over the worst weather ?

51 minutes ago, peteh1 said:

Hi, tried to grown a couple of small Japanese Maples's last year and both looked great for a while but have died over winter, should these be sheltered over the worst weather ?

Have they actually died or just lost all their leaves?
My smaller ones just look like twigs at the moment, but theyll come back.

They dont do well in the wind tho.

Edited by nikki-red

2 hours ago, peteh1 said:

Nikki-red's right - they're not evergreens, peteh1, more's the pity. 

We've got many different varieties in our garden, in an effort to keep some different coloured foliage from spring through to autumn.

Lime green to dark purple, they cover the lot!

They don't like the (cold) wind, though, so try an locate 'em out of a direct line.

Check your soil type too, especially if they're in pots....you need ericaceous by rights.

Does pay you to do your homework to ensure you care for them properly - you can easily pay three figures for a plant (although we rarely have!)

p.s. There's an absolute stunner - but not at present for above reasons! - at Ferndale Garden Centre. When the sun's on it, it looks like it's on fire! £450 plus a few bob for a suitable pot....

Edited by RiffRaff

Well no new shoots so I seem to have done for it, it wasn't in direct wind but it does get v cold up the top of Stannington, so could the young plant have been too tender to cope ?