Should Wednesday and United merge?

Should Wednesday and United merge?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Should Wednesday and United merge?

• Yes get em merged.
    • No, it's almost blasphemy to suggest it.
    • Get a cat, who cares. Football -huh!

good idea merge the two. play at bramall lane as hillsbro is

showing its age and the lane is improving all the time.

the money made from selling hillsbro will pay for better players.

keep the united team as they are much better than the wendy team

as proved twice last season. and are now premier league.

use shirecliffe accadamy as its 100 times better than middlewood.

the sale of middlewood would pay to develope the shoreham end

to a 2 tier stand to help accomodate the extra fans.

and finally a name for the club if the 2 teams unite

well its obvious SHEFFIELD UNITED.

Manchester: Manchester United and Manchester City.

Birmingham: Birmingham, Aston Villa and West Brom.

Liverpool: Liverpool and Everton.

Leicester and Leeds are one-team cities and neither are in the Premiership, what's your point?

West Brom are in West Bromwich, not Birmingham, surely?

Perhaps a more useful comparison is the greater metropolitan areas:

Gtr Manchester: population approx. 2.5 million, 8 football league teams

Merseyside: population approx 1.5 million, 3 league teams

West Midlands: population approx 2.5 million, 5 league teams

South Yorks: population approx 1.5 million, 5 league teams (6 if you include nearby Chesterfield)

West Yorks: population approx 2.5 million, 4 league teams

Not sure what this tells us at all. The fact that both Sheffield club's combined attendance was more than twice that of L**ds last year indicates there's plenty of supporters around I would think.

If there was one super Sheffield club that could attract support form accross the city it would probably be in the premier legue permanently and be one of the major clubs in the country.

but I'd never get parked on a saturday! :rolleyes:;)

Right now for some controversy. Who thinks that SUFC and SWFC should merge to create one super Sheffield club.

Bloody ell mate you don't 'alf come up with some daft ideas :loopy::hihi:

Probably true (about the superclub) but i disagree that we're not a big enough city to maintain 2 premiership clubs. How much bigger is Sheffield than Liverpool?

Liverpool is actually bigger than Sheffield and the clubs draw some support from Cheshire and Northern Ireland. I can’t see either Wednesday or United drawing support from Rotherham and Barnsley. In any case, a merger between the two Sheffield clubs is a pipe-dream; although the two teams in Leeds managed it many years ago.

Are you insane! :loopy:

There is a reason why United have just gone up and Wednesday struggled to stay up. To merge them would just bring United down. :rolleyes:

Quite possibly — or even the other way round. Wouldn’t like to see Sheffield UniWed (or someother daft name) slip out of the football league altogether.

I say, bring Cricket back to Bramhall Lane and make do with just Sheffield Wednesday.

But looking at it in the cold light of day Sheffield is not really a major enough city to sustain two premier legue football teams over the long (or even medium) term.

...snip...

That's the point I was about to make. Surely longer term success would be more likely if they joined forces?

Loads of reasons why not though - and I don't think the fans would accept it. Mind you what has it got to do with the fans these days?

TF

Quite possibly — or even the other way round. Wouldn’t like to see Sheffield UniWed (or someother daft name) slip out of the football league altogether.

I say, bring Cricket back to Bramhall Lane and make do with just Sheffield Wednesday.

And where are all the football fans supposed to go? :hihi:

Reasons for not merging.

Wednesday hate the blades.

Blades hate Wednesday.

Equals trouble.

Stop being bland, diluted, politically correct and economically minded a**seholes.

"calm down, temper, temper, you shouldn't get so annoyed..."

No, no, no, no, no - wrongity wrong.

I am not even a huge fan of either but loads of cities have 2 teams, Manchester, Glasgow, Bristol, Nottingham Birmingham.

My H and and children would be gutted.

surely the point about the two clubs merging is that they sell their grounds for housing for a vast premium, as they are both placed where there is difficult parking and limited expansion. And have a joint huge superstadium in the don valley somewhere with superb transport connections for visiting supporters which will be the default wembley of the north.

The two teams play at home on alternate weeks and one side of the stadium is blue and white, the other red and white.

There's no need to merge the teams.

Right now for some controversy. Who thinks that SUFC and SWFC should merge to create one super Sheffield club.

:huh: erm...:nono: