Sunbathers Trash Devonshire Green & Endcliffe Park

Well the company issuing litter fines missed out here what a killing they would have made.

Dread to think what Hillsborough park will like after 3 days of Tramlines.

Tramlines will pay for and clean up all that mess.

What surprises me is that there are on the spot fines and prosecutions for people who appear to be targeted for dropping cigarette ends (a very small item, often still lit and smelly) which is not easy to take home in your pocket.

The people on Devonshire Green who deposited all this litter appear to have been ignored by the litter police - why?

Can't find the article now but have read a report somewhere that up to 80% of litter is smoking related. Butts, packets, matches, wrappers etc. All adds up. You can buy small fireproof containers that you can pop your butts into until you can find a bin.

All these young offenders who get xhrs community work as punishment, could be utilised in to teams of litter pickers.

Gets mooted every 3 weeks but, after some limited, trials, never gets taken on. Not sure of the reasons why not.

Nice idea but in the meantime what happens when the people who litter realise they can do it and someone else will clean it up

Sheffield Litter Pickers group is looking to meet with councillors soon to try and get some more long term and foolproof strategies in place.

When you are caught speeding you can be offered to go on a course to reduce the sentence , why not offer a caught litter offender the choice of a fine or several hours picking up litter.

When you are caught speeding you can be offered to go on a course to reduce the sentence , why not offer a caught litter offender the choice of a fine or several hours picking up litter.

The issue here (masses on Devonshire Green etc.) is the problem of identifying the offender.

Perhaps they should be treated like children ..... throw a barrier round, and no-one goes home until the site is clear?

The issue here (masses on Devonshire Green etc.) is the problem of identifying the offender.

Maybe Parkydave is talking about litter offenders in general - those caught by those Kingdom patrol people who catch people feeding pigeons or chucking fag ends into the drains?

more bins may help,but better education on litter and plenty of fines may get the message across to the public

They'll be out in force this weekend !

I think some people think it's 'uncool' to pick up their litter and that leaving it 'gives someone a job'. If people can educated to think that leaving their litter in public places is uncool and that people that litter are basically scrubbers this will help. I actually think that this issue being raised recently in the media (as well as recent environmental campaigns on plastic) is the start of an improvement. A few years ago I used to find the litter around student houses very depressing. It's still there but it doesn't seem as bad. Maybe attitudes are starting to change?

I think some people think it's 'uncool' to pick up their litter and that leaving it 'gives someone a job'. If people can educated to think that leaving their litter in public places is uncool and that people that litter are basically scrubbers this will help. I actually think that this issue being raised recently in the media (as well as recent environmental campaigns on plastic) is the start of an improvement. A few years ago I used to find the litter around student houses very depressing. It's still there but it doesn't seem as bad. Maybe attitudes are starting to change?

I think this is definitely the case. For some people it is not cool to put the litter in the bin. But they seem to think that it is cool to be thick. Swearing, spitting and walking around the place Liam Gallagher fashion.

well they stopped people drinking cider and special brew in the peace gardens

i never agreed with that.

Whats wrong with having a quiet drink in a pulic space or even a picnic with an alcoholic beverage? you'd feel justified doing it in clumber park or in the moors in the peak district..essentially the same thing

it is worth noting that on the site of the peace gardens there is a large section between the wall of it and what used to be St Pauls Parade, which is paved and covered with tables and chairs seemingly for the use of the patrons of the bars that serve alcoholic drinks. so it is profits before faux morality

i once sat there and a waiter asked me if i wanted to order and i asked if i may have a pint of cider he said ok. i did not order. but at least one may drink in the peace gardens.

In East Anglia some years ago, they ran an anti litter campaign with the banner line 'Don't be a tosser'. I don't know how effective this was, but whilst definitely a bit crude it certainly put over the idea of this being uncool and might be worth considering. In the same way as smoking slowly became seen as uncool over time, maybe public perception about litter could change with a suitably funded ad campaign.

i never agreed with that.

Whats wrong with having a quiet drink in a pulic space or even a picnic with an alcoholic beverage? you'd feel justified doing it in clumber park or in the moors in the peak district..essentially the same thing

it is worth noting that on the site of the peace gardens there is a large section between the wall of it and what used to be St Pauls Parade, which is paved and covered with tables and chairs seemingly for the use of the patrons of the bars that serve alcoholic drinks. so it is profits before faux morality

i once sat there and a waiter asked me if i wanted to order and i asked if i may have a pint of cider he said ok. i did not order. but at least one may drink in the peace gardens.

'Quiet drink' being the critical part as to why there was a clampdown on this sort of behaviour