Sunbathers Trash Devonshire Green & Endcliffe Park

This is quite interesting, I believe Taiwan, Japan and Australia are moving in the direction of taking away public bins as the expectation in society is that you will bring your waste home and dispose of it there. This can be inline with household waste charging schemes and recycling initiatives. It also helps reinforce the message of sustainability and tries to build a sense of responsibility.

No it means another public service bites the dust.

This is quite interesting, I believe Taiwan, Japan and Australia are moving in the direction of taking away public bins as the expectation in society is that you will bring your waste home and dispose of it there. This can be inline with household waste charging schemes and recycling initiatives. It also helps reinforce the message of sustainability and tries to build a sense of responsibility.

That's interesting. When in Scotland a few years ago I saw a bin in a lay-by beside a loch. It was crammed full and there was litter blowing all around. I'd assume 99% of people passing that way had come by car so it could all have been taken away by them.

Later I spoke to a local resident who made points like those above. The amount of litter being left to blow around might actually be more since the bin was positioned! It was an expense for the council to collect, particularly so in that remote spot. Some weeks there was very little, and other weeks it was overflowing. Birds and small animals went in and pulled out bags with food scraps so it wasn't all human activity creating the mess.

However, when the bin was full a lot of people helpfully leave carrier bags of waste beside the bin - which the animals love to shred to get at anything edible. That's partially why so much was blowing around. The local resident wryly observed that there had been minimal improvement in the litter situation, but it now cost the council a lot to collect it. The worst culprits still chucked it out the window wherever they went!

im the low life you speak of i enjoyed the sun in the park had some food and beer i didnt leave any litter

No it means another public service bites the dust.

I see what you mean. It's probably quite a fine line between expecting people to take care of their own litter, and expecting the government to allocate funds to clear up our rubbish. (Edit to say that I know the government does provide a rubbish collecting service for households)

Maybe this is part of the problem, different expectations.

im the low life you speak of i enjoyed the sun in the park had some food and beer i didnt leave any litter

Where does it say that people who didn't leave litter are low lifes? Sitting on the green or in a park in the sun is lovely, but a lot of people spoil it by leaving their detritus everywhere. That's who this thread is aimed at.

Calm down fella. No one said anything about the normals who were there. Only the scrubbers who made it a mess are being criticized.

Absolute scrubbers the lot of em , but I suppose that's what you get when you mix with the feral gangs that are around the Devonshire Green area

A bunch of litter gets left behind in a (very) public space and suddenly the papers/people are all over it.

I wish everyone would open up their eyes, this is how it is ALL OVER Sheffield now. The mindset of the majority seems to be "chuck it on the floor, someone else will pick it up"

I don't know what can be done to change this, I just keep picking up the litter as I see it, hopefully others see me doing this and will also pick up some litter as well and ease the load.

A bunch of litter gets left behind in a (very) public space and suddenly the papers/people are all over it.

I wish everyone would open up their eyes, this is how it is ALL OVER Sheffield now. The mindset of the majority seems to be "chuck it on the floor, someone else will pick it up"

I don't know what can be done to change this, I just keep picking up the litter as I see it, hopefully others see me doing this and will also pick up some litter as well and ease the load.

Just symptomatic of the slob society we now live in. The recent fine increase may hopefully help a bit, although enforcement is always the problem.

Annoying as this is, I kind of understand why some people feel no responsibility towards cleaning up after themselves.

For the vast majority of people, council tax is very bad value for money. I pay tax towards services I don’t, and never intend to use, and as a result the only real value I receive is streetlight and bins. Now I get that there is more to it than this, but as someone who has never really had any interaction with police, fire, social services, in fact almost anything to do with the council since leaving school, I do find it a bit gutting that I’m being charged all this money so someone else can get the all the benefit. Maybe these people thought that as they were paying over a grand a year for litter collection they’d get their money’s worth? Seems fair to me.

Just my two pence, and no I wouldn’t have left my stuff in the park. I’d just have sat in my back garden where I can do what I want :P

Well the company issuing litter fines missed out here what a killing they would have made.

Dread to think what Hillsborough park will like after 3 days of Tramlines.

What surprises me is that there are on the spot fines and prosecutions for people who appear to be targeted for dropping cigarette ends (a very small item, often still lit and smelly) which is not easy to take home in your pocket.

The people on Devonshire Green who deposited all this litter appear to have been ignored by the litter police - why?