Homely/characterful/lived-in pubs in Sheffield

I'm talking about places that are down-to-earth - a little worn but lived in, comfortable, characterful and homely. They have that certain something pubco's don't understand when they take over, and a lot of paying customers aren't bothered to spend time worrying about the fact that these type of places are a dying breed.

Please try and avoid suggesting pubs with too much generic décor or dodgy interior design choices that have ruined the character of a place. Anything that looks like someone has spent too much time pawing through Laura Ashley catalogues, basically. A lot of historic pubs may be historic but too often there's little trace left!

These kind of pubs aren't a thing Sheffield struggles with (that'd be Leeds :hihi:) but nevertheless, I'd like to be aware of any pubs I may have missed out. Why? So I can pop down there for a drink of course!

I don't profess to have an encyclopaedic knowledge, and it'll become clear which areas I visit a lot - but think these are the most special places out there in the city for a drink. Please help fill the gaps if you can think of any others!

(Quality/range of beer isn't the be all and end all here - eg. Fagans is an amazing pub but with a crap beer selection)

Kelham Island/Neepsend

Fat Cat

Gardeners Rest

Harlequin

Shakespeares

Wellington

City Centre

The Bath Hotel

Dog & Partridge

Fagans

Rutland Arms

The Brown Bear

The Red Deer

The Three Tuns

University Arms (just about sneaks on)

Crookes/Crookesmoor

Cobden View

The Closed Shop (back up to scratch)

Hallamshire House (formerly more homely but still decent)

Princess

Heeley

Brothers Arms

Sheaf View

The White Lion

Highfield

Beer Engine (could use a bit more décor but has very snug side rooms)

The Cremorne

Endcliffe/Greystones

Greystones Inn

Walkley

The Blake

Hillsborough

The New Barrack

A few I considered but didn't quite make the cut: The Grapes, Nottingham House, Fox & Duck, Broomhill Tavern - Are you getting the idea?

I must have missed a load elsewhere in the city, surely - please spread the word for your favourite cosy local!

Edited by jackanderton

Norton Lees

The Cross Scythes

The Mount Pleasant

Killamarsh

The West End (my former local)

The Steelmelters

The Travellers Rest

Holbrook

Fuggle Bunny (Actually a micro brewery which opens as a pub on Friday night's only)

Low Bradfield - The Plough

Loxley - Nags Head Inn

Millhouses - Wagon and Horses

Abbey Lane - Rising Sun

Lodge Moor - The Sportsman

Walkey - Walkley Cottage

Neepsend - Gardeners Rest

Ranmoor - Ranmoor Inn

Nether Edge - The Union

Chapeltown - The Commercial

Neepsend - Gardeners Rest

That was hiding in my list but thanks for the rest - I've heard of the first 5 but not been yet! Excellent stuff

I'm talking about places that are down-to-earth - a little worn but lived in, comfortable, characterful and homely. They have that certain something pubco's don't understand when they take over, and a lot of paying customers aren't bothered to spend time worrying about the fact that these type of places are a dying breed.

Please try and avoid suggesting pubs with too much generic décor or dodgy interior design choices that have ruined the character of a place. Anything that looks like someone has spent too much time pawing through Laura Ashley catalogues, basically. A lot of historic pubs may be historic but too often there's little trace left!

These kind of pubs aren't a thing Sheffield struggles with (that'd be Leeds :hihi:) but nevertheless, I'd like to be aware of any pubs I may have missed out. Why? So I can pop down there for a drink of course!

I don't profess to have an encyclopaedic knowledge, and it'll become clear which areas I visit a lot - but think these are the most special places out there in the city for a drink. Please help fill the gaps if you can think of any others!

(Quality/range of beer isn't the be all and end all here - eg. Fagans is an amazing pub but with a crap beer selection)

Kelham Island/Neepsend

Fat Cat

Gardeners Rest

Harlequin

Shakespeares

Wellington

City Centre

The Bath Hotel

Dog & Partridge

Fagans

Rutland Arms

The Brown Bear

The Red Deer

The Three Tuns

Crookes/Crookesmoor

Cobden View

Princess

Heeley

Brothers Arms

Sheaf View

The White Lion

Highfield

The Cremorne

Endcliffe/Greystones

Greystones Inn

Walkley

The Blake

Hillsborough

The New Barrack

A few I considered but didn't quite make the cut: The Grapes, Nottingham House, Fox & Duck, Broomhill Tavern - Are you getting the idea?

I must have missed a load elsewhere in the city, surely - please spread the word for your favourite cosy local!

My pubs of choice, in no particular order.....

Princess Royal at Crookes / Walkley

Broomhill Tavern

Ranmoor Inn

As a lager drinker, whatever is on the bar usually works for me :)

Palm Tree and Florist in Walkley. Hanover in Broomhall.

Kelham Island/Neepsend

Fat Cat

Gardeners Rest

Harlequin

Shakespeares

Wellington

City Centre

The Bath Hotel

Dog & Partridge

Fagans

Rutland Arms

The Brown Bear

The Red Deer

The Three Tuns

Crookes/Crookesmoor

Cobden View

Princess

Heeley

Brothers Arms

Sheaf View

The White Lion

Highfield

The Cremorne

Endcliffe/Greystones

Greystones Inn

Walkley

The Blake

Hillsborough

The New Barrack

You missed loads...

Haven't mentioned any in SE Sheffield

Bagshawe Arms

Noahs Ark

Hollin Bush

New Inn

Golden Plover

British Oak

Queens Hotel

Royal oak

Birley

Queens Head

The Swan

I could go on and on and on.....

Thanks for including us, a list we're proud to be a part of. Just so you know though, both The White Lion and The Brothers Arms are both Heineken (Star Pubs and Bars) owned establishments, both previously Punch.

That's interesting to learn. Presumably the owners don't tinker with the venue too much, in the same kind of way Greene King like to.

You missed loads...

Haven't mentioned any in SE Sheffield

Bagshawe Arms

Noahs Ark

Hollin Bush

New Inn

Golden Plover

British Oak

Queens Hotel

Royal oak

Birley

Queens Head

The Swan

I could go on and on and on.....

Please do, that's the point!

Pitsmoor (Burngreave/Ellesmere area)

Normanton Inn-Grimesthorpe Road/Earldom Road

Royal Oak- Earsham Street/Gower Street

Staffordshire Arms- Sorby Street (behind Royal Oak)

These are traditional Sheffield pubs, each around 100 plus years old.

Edited by St Petre
add