Octagon Centre gigs

I worked in the Octagon from 91 and got to see a lot of the acts. One week in particular stands out. We had Motorhead play on the Thursday and Status Quo on the Saturday. Oasis also played there in the 90`s before they were famous. I heard their sound check and remember saying to someone "They`ll never do owt, they`re rubbish" lol

---------- Post added 25-05-2018 at 03:47 ----------

Lower refectory? You are showing your age. I remember Heather small playing down there. Amazing voice

Well I'd better show mine then. I recall seeing Manfred Mann, Johnny Kidd and the Pirates and the Swinging Blue Jeans down there in the mid '60s when I was capable of doing the 'Hippy Hippy Shake!'

echo.

I saw Faith no more / Mortal sin at the Octagon (1990)

Got a few listed as Sheff Uni in mi book which if i remember right was there? Gong Maison , Acid Reign, Xentrix / Sabbat, Godflesh, Ozric tentacles / Dodgy, Disposable heroes of hiphoprasy, The Orb, Credit to the nation / Eskimos and egypt,

The octagon always reminded me of a workings mans club, I loved the random arrangement of chairs and tables and the fact you could drink while watching the artiste/turn a very relaxed atmosphere its a pity it wasn't more successful as a venue .

The octagon always reminded me of a workings mans club, I loved the random arrangement of chairs and tables and the fact you could drink while watching the artiste/turn a very relaxed atmosphere its a pity it wasn't more successful as a venue .

A vast majority of the bands moved to the O2 when it opened

Saw some great bands there though it probably wasn't called the Octagon, Babe Ruth, Head Hands & Feet, Uriah Heep The Gliiter Band and one of Roxy Music's first giggs .

I think the glitter band did play but it would have been before `91.

A few of the bands i met while working there was. Orbital, Norman cooke, Skunk Anansie, Natasha Bedingfield, INXS, Amy Winehouse, Saw Doctors, Sleeper, The Editors, oh yes, i also met Rolph Harris :(

Happy Mondays

Charlatans

Motorhead

Cramps

didn't go that much to the octagon, we used to frequent the lower refectory much more often

Its hard to remember exactly now, memories are fuzzy, i presume Faith no more was actually at the octagon and all the rest were in the lower refectory, also seen napalm death and hawkwind at the lower refectory i think, dont think they were the octagon

yeah I saw napalm death at lower refec, saw loads of bands there in the late 80's & early 90's

at one time we didn't think we'd had a good night unless we came away with a bloody nose....

Lower refectory? You are showing your age. I remember Heather small playing down there. Amazing voice

Cheeky git, don't rub it in! :D

I remember seeing Nirvana, Dogs D'Amour and FM at the Octagon. And Tigertailz was I think in the lower refectory, with their pyro I thought the whole place was going to up.

Saw Tim Vine the comedian at the Octagon. They ran out of larger. A great venue