Octagon Centre gigs

The uni students' union don't seem to use the Octagon for gigs any more. So it seems to have drifted into the 'History' section despite only opening in 1983. This is a great shame in my view.

First time I went was The Smiths in Jan 1984. Other good ones off the top of my head include Interpol, Charlatans, Billy Bragg, The Coral etc etc.

Which ones do you remember? How about Nirvana 1991?

It's a 1500 all standing venue and was run by the students' union. So it was miles better than the dreadful 02 (formerly Ro_y/Top Rank) with its terrible views and rip-off drinks. We still need a good size standing venue in the city centre for gigs. The Leadmill is great but is 900 max I think.

Saw the Arctic Monkeys there.

I think I only ever went to two gigs there, Interpol and INXS.

I agree it’s a shame it’s not used anymore, it was a good venue.

Only went once that was to see the "Silly Sisters" a folk act ,the concert was promoted by bob Hazelwood a bbc radio Sheffield presenter .

The choir my wife sings with has a gig there each year....and is ususlly a sell-out...last one was only about 4 weeks ago....admittedly not quite your rock band type gig....

I remember going to see the Beautiful South when they hadn't been going very long and they were only on a short time, didn't play any Housemartins songs, they said they hadn't got many songs - there was a lot of booing and disgruntled customers who had paid £5 for the ticket.... have seen lots of groups there, Deacon Blue being one other, the Christians, can't remember which other ones

It seems to have been waking up again, very slowly, recently. I saw Katherine Ryan there a few months ago (comedy not music admittedly) and have seen a few other bands planning to go there. The website isn't that friendly but can't see anything exciting coming its way.

I have seen Cypress Hill, Funkdoobiest, Lords of the Underground (one gig), Supergrass, Oasis, Rob Brydon (Comedy - when he was funny) and others that now escape me.

The uni students' union don't seem to use the Octagon for gigs any more. So it seems to have drifted into the 'History' section despite only opening in 1983. This is a great shame in my view.

First time I went was The Smiths in Jan 1984. Other good ones off the top of my head include Interpol, Charlatans, Billy Bragg, The Coral etc etc.

Which ones do you remember? How about Nirvana 1991?

It's a 1500 all standing venue and was run by the students' union. So it was miles better than the dreadful 02 (formerly Ro_y/Top Rank) with its terrible views and rip-off drinks. We still need a good size standing venue in the city centre for gigs. The Leadmill is great but is 900 max I think.

I think I was at that Charlatans gig, they opened with The Only One I Know which was their big hit at the time. Other acts I remember seeing there:

Jesus & Mary Chain

Inspiral Carpets

Ride

All About Eve

The Senseless Things

Elbow

Goldfrapp

The Coral

Robert Plant

I'm sure theres more but I can't think of them at the minute.

I think I was at that Charlatans gig, they opened with The Only One I Know which was their big hit at the time. Other acts I remember seeing there:

Jesus & Mary Chain

Inspiral Carpets

Ride

All About Eve

The Senseless Things

Elbow

Goldfrapp

The Coral

Robert Plant

I'm sure theres more but I can't think of them at the minute.

Me too with regards to the Charlatans. Also saw that Ride gig.

I was jammy enough to get on the guest list Nirvana in 91. That's definitely my highlight.

Me and my housemates used to work on the ticket desk for events, in return for a free pass and 4 cans of cider each when we were students, so saw a few back then. Vic Reeves Big Night Out.

Some of the better gigs were in the Lower Refectory though. Tori Amos, Blur and Radiohead before they were very famous. Bob Mould after he went solo. Bill Hicks.

Feeling very nostalgic now!

I remember most of the crowd would often stand nearest the side where the entrance/exit is. So the far side was often far less busy and I'd head round there for a better view. I think there was a bottle bar over that side later on? But I might have imagined that or confused it with Manchester (University) Academy.

I remember most of the crowd would often stand nearest the side where the entrance/exit is. So the far side was often far less busy and I'd head round there for a better view. I think there was a bottle bar over that side later on? But I might have imagined that or confused it with Manchester (University) Academy.

The going to the far side trick works at many gigs :)

---------- Post added 22-04-2018 at 23:26 ----------

Carter USM was another band I saw there.

I worked in the Octagon from 91 and got to see a lot of the acts. One week in particular stands out. We had Motorhead play on the Thursday and Status Quo on the Saturday. Oasis also played there in the 90`s before they were famous. I heard their sound check and remember saying to someone "They`ll never do owt, they`re rubbish" lol

---------- Post added 25-05-2018 at 03:47 ----------

Me too with regards to the Charlatans. Also saw that Ride gig.

I was jammy enough to get on the guest list Nirvana in 91. That's definitely my highlight.

Me and my housemates used to work on the ticket desk for events, in return for a free pass and 4 cans of cider each when we were students, so saw a few back then. Vic Reeves Big Night Out.

Some of the better gigs were in the Lower Refectory though. Tori Amos, Blur and Radiohead before they were very famous. Bob Mould after he went solo. Bill Hicks.

Feeling very nostalgic now!

Lower refectory? You are showing your age. I remember Heather small playing down there. Amazing voice