Flight travel with my dog

Hi all

i own a yorkshire terrier and i will travel with KLM in august. I don't want him to travel in the hold of the plane and the only solution is to bring him in a dog carrier. I have been said that maximum allowed dimensions are 46 x 28 x 26 cm, but it may result a bit small for the dog.

Have you ever travelled with your dog with KLM or any other flight company? Are them flexible?

I would need some info/advice.

cheers

I have never done this, but from recent stories please do not allow the cabin crew to make you put your dog in an overhead locker! It killed a poor French bulldog ☹️

Maximum total weight of pet and carrier must be less than 8kg.

You must prove you have chips, vaccination and have a passport. Other rules may apply as well.

Speak to KLM direct and get confirmation in writing, if you make a mistake your dog may not be able to travel at all. Kennelling at the airport would be very expensive and you would not be covered by insurance

Hi Emma,

I’m not sure about taking a dog out of the country in the cabin but it is a government law that dogs are not allowed back into the UK in the cabin. They must travel as cargo.

I looked into it all myself last week and even rang Lufthansa to ask but they confirmed the above.

Hi all

thanks everyone for the information. The dog has everything in terms of vaccination, chip and passport.

I will be coming in UK by ferry from holland. I think it is the only solution since i don't want my dog to travel in the hold.

Thanks everyone :)

Hi all

thanks everyone for the information. The dog has everything in terms of vaccination, chip and passport.

I will be coming in UK by ferry from holland. I think it is the only solution since i don't want my dog to travel in the hold.

Thanks everyone :)

Please check the accommodation provided on-board.

Dogs are not allowed in passenger areas.

They are kept on-deck in kennels with unlimited access or kept on the car-decks with limited access.