Pleasure fishing - Sheffield Area

Good morning all,

I'm looking for some places to go "Pleasure fishing" around the Sheffield area.

I'm fairly new to fishing, so still getting to grips with everything.

I have been to Aston Park Fisheries a couple of times but it's always so busy with matches and "intimidating" anglers.

I'm wanting somewhere that is fairly quiet that I can just head out (Usually over a weekend), and not have to sit on a peg next to someone else who looks down on us novices!

I usually go to Bradleys at Ford, but I'm looking for other areas to venture out to!

Thanks, I'll have a look through.

Anyone got any experience with some of these places that could help too? Which to avoid, which ones are quiet but good for a bit of pleasure fishing etc.

Aston Park is definitely a place for you.

If you chat to the chaps in the tackle shop they will definitely put you right.

I can't see that anglers in general fishing anywhere would look down on novices, we have all been there when we started.

Matches are fished weekends, Tuesday's and Wednesday's, if you look at Facebook you'll find all the pegs left for day tickets if these are the days you fish.

Also the newly reopened Kiveton Waters, it's supposed to be fishing well. You'll always find room there.

Speak to Jonny in the ticket office he's a top bloke, if you go Tuesday's or Thursday's then Trev will be there, another top bloke.

Everywhere you go if you explain that you're not experienced you'll get a bit of help, don't by shy tell them.

Edited by Mr Hinks

I'm not 100% sure I'd agree with that comment Mr Hinks... "I can't see that anglers in general fishing anywhere would look down on novices"

many times when I've been so-called 'pleasure fishing', I've overheard comments from the open match boys along the lines of "he's only a pleasure angler"... only! Like I was some kind of lesser being

one time not so very long ago at Kiveton Waters - a venue where I used to fish the open matches quite successfully before I packed up match fishing, I'd emptied the top lake and packed up at around 1pm

walking back down to the carpark an angler fishing the open match had left his pole on his rollers, blocking the path... and he was sat fishing the feeder

as I approached, he never even considered shifting his pole to allow me to pass, so I had to ask him...

he responded saying, "<removed> sake... Go round, I'm fishing the open"

when I explained I'd got a barrow & couldn't fit round... and if he didn't shift it I'd go through it, he eventually (grudgingly) moved it!

point being he thought he was so important cos he was fishing the open match, that everyone else would have to work around him... so I understand what the original poster is talking about, regarding intimidating anglers

Edited by nikki-red

I'm not 100% sure I'd agree with that comment Mr Hinks... "I can't see that anglers in general fishing anywhere would look down on novices"

many times when I've been so-called 'pleasure fishing', I've overheard comments from the open match boys along the lines of "he's only a pleasure angler"... only! Like I was some kind of lesser being

one time not so very long ago at Kiveton Waters - a venue where I used to fish the open matches quite successfully before I packed up match fishing, I'd emptied the top lake and packed up at around 1pm

walking back down to the carpark an angler fishing the open match had left his pole on his rollers, blocking the path... and he was sat fishing the feeder

as I approached, he never even considered shifting his pole to allow me to pass, so I had to ask him...

when I explained I'd got a barrow & couldn't fit round... and if he didn't shift it I'd go through it, he eventually (grudgingly) moved it!

point being he thought he was so important cos he was fishing the open match, that everyone else would have to work around him... so I understand what the original poster is talking about, regarding intimidating anglers

Unfortunately, it's true.

The looks they can give you if you're doing something they don't quite agree on it very off putting - Hence why i avoid Aston Park now, as it's match after match. The guys in the bait bar are always hekpful, I'll give the mcredit for that, and I will go there if there isn't a match on.

Don't get me wrong, not all of them are the same, but sometimes the minority spoil it for the majority.

I guess I'll just tick to Bradleys for now as it's what I know.

don't be put off by that incident I mention though, Kiveton Waters is really a great fishery, and it would not put me off... it's the only commercial that's still on my radar...

other venues in the area that might offer what you want... KJS at Killamarsh, Horseshoe Lakes at Wales, Norwood Cottage Farm, Aston Park and Aston Springs

I hear Carterhall is good but I've never fished it

round the north side of the city, westwood, howbrook & newbiggin in the High Green area, Cow Gap at Dungworth, Loxley Fishery... in the Loxley Valley

all pretty good venues

even further afield, Nethermill at Penistone, Lewden Springs at Worsborough, Elsecar Reservoir... the list is almost endless

if ou can find a copy of "Fish It" in your local supermarket, that's worth a read as it features plenty of venues with a brief review of species, tactics, rules & the postcode of the venue

That's great, thanks.

Carterhall is closer to me then Bradley, i fished there one evening and it was nice and quiet - Not tried it at a weekend so may have a drive down one day and take another look.

Kiveton I will also go and have a look at and give it a go... Do they sell any bait there by any chance? I often fish on pellet as I tend to go Sunday morning and there isn't many places to get maggots for when I fancy a change.

That is one good thing about Aston, the bait bar on site.

they did sell skrettings feed & hard pellets under the old regime... not seen any hook pellets for sale, but I wouldn't have been looking

to be honest it's not often I'd use maggot at Kiveton, pellet or corn all the way for me

maybe use dead reds with groundbait occasionally, but I've always done best on pole & expander pellet over a bed of micros

loads of bream and skimmers, roach, gudgeon (yes, gudgeon on expanders), crucian carp, carp, tench if you're lucky

Thanks Dars.

Carterhall and Kiveton both on my list.

Now to just manage to get time to go...!!

KJS (certainly the killamarsh site) didnt have matches on but that might have changed. Westend is worth a go too.

Nowt in the way of bait or snap at either so go prepared!

I don't dispute what you say.

All I know is I've never come across this sort of ungracious attitude.

If anyone has the idea that match men are as bad everywhere then all that's left to fish is the river Don.

Kiveton waters has Skrettings in micros and larger pellets in Coppens on sale in the ticket office. Of course fishery pellets only to be used.

I haven't been up yet hoping to soon, All my information is from their facebook page.

The silvers lake is the one that interests me, for some reason have stocked a few stocky carp in there and small tench. I suppose that's what most anglers want. It's not what I'd prefer but when have my thoughts made a difference.