Carp Fishing in Sheffield

Hi,

me and a couple of mates are thinking of doing a spot of Carp fishing in sheffield. Being fairly novice at the game and having never fished in Sheffield, I'm looking for advice on where to go which will give us a good days fishing without having to be experts.

Cheers

Pete

Barlow fisheries have a carp lake - its got the added attraction of a log cabin that does food all day - and set in a quiet valley. £4 for the day.

Hi,

me and a couple of mates are thinking of doing a spot of Carp fishing in sheffield. Being fairly novice at the game and having never fished in Sheffield, I'm looking for advice on where to go which will give us a good days fishing without having to be experts.

Cheers

Pete

how far are you prepared to travel?

The reed pool at Hallcroft (Retford) is a fairly good carp water, certainly better than Barlow. Its not too difficult to fish (or rather catch), with fish going to 23lb. My average weight per fish from here is around the 9-10lb mark, and on a good day you could get over 100lb bag.

there are however many fishery rules (no boilies, no method feeder, max hook size 12 etc, etc)

Take a look and see what you think here

Theres a good set of ponds at higham, near alfreton too, but again it might be further than you ideally would like to travel

Depends what you're after really. Do you wnat to catch medium sized fish regularly, or try for the less numerous big ones. If you want big ones are you prepared for them. Don't think your normal lines and hooks will cope with fish into double figures, you may be in for a surprise. Personally I always think that the best tip is to go to your local tackle shop and ask their advice. They''l know where to catch and what bait to use.

I'd much rather be watching a stick float trotting down a river anyday.

Shouldn't this be in the Sports and Pastimes section?

fishing is cruel, unless your hunting to eat.

Yawn...

Fish welfare is paramount in my fishing and i don't for one minute think i'm unique. I know who to phone when a water is polluted (do non anglers know this and would they notice a problem?) I know when a fish is diseased, and again i know who needs alerting to save fish losses. If it weren't for anglers there'd be a lot less fish and a lot less healthy watercourses.

Back on topic, if you're novices you'll simply want to catch a few fish...? Go to Aston Ponds, have a look around a nd pick a lake!:thumbsup: Pellets, corn, meat etc...

WHY?:loopy:

Bit off target on the forum but cheers for the info anyway folks.

Pete

try the canal some really big carp in there

Barlow fisheries have a carp lake - its got the added attraction of a log cabin that does food all day - and set in a quiet valley. £4 for the day.

`log cabin no longer there got set on fire

Not sure about Carp but I've seen some decent sized Rainbow Trout in the rivers up the Rivelin Valley in S6.