Sheffield Council boss earns more than Prime Minister.

Mothersole does not have a tough time.

He is an over-promoted council officer that schlepped into the post after Kerslake moved on.

He is a bureaucrat that is grateful to receive the salary as long as he can get away with it while a lot of the real work is done by his minions (some of whom are similarly overpaid).

That is an opinion that I do not agree with. Let's leave it at that.

Against this let us consider that:

SCC unlawfully denies people their right to an assessment of the care and support needs under the Care Act every day

SCC spends significant amounts of money paying solicitors and barristers to try to deny people their legal right to a package of care and support

SCC spends significant amounts of money on salaries of managers who spend their time arguing over whether the NHS should be funding peoples' support (the NHS spends similar amounts arguing that SCC should fund the costs in return)

SCC unlawfully 'gatekeeps' by refusing to accept homeless applications from people on a daily basis

They took over the in-house housing repairs service from Kier and actually made it worse

Their online capability is woeful. Several times I have tried to report things or make complaints online and the form has crashed. The online forms for applying to the housing register or to claim housing benefit are difficult to use and have mandatory fields for information that is superflous and is not used.

Their Housing Registrations Team repeatedly has to re-do work because they lose the ID that people provide in support of their applications.

The phones are regularly answered by people who can't give straightforward responses to simple requests for information (e.g. I was recently told by someone in Adult Social Care that the person in question had been given a social care assessment and a decision had been made that they were not entitled to an assessment, and couldn't see that it couldn't be both).

If someone is paid a lot of money to run an organisation, shouldn't they be ensuring that it gets the basics right? Mothersole has had 10 years to sort this stuff out and has failed, which is why he doesn't deserve his job, let alone his salary.

They should. Have you contacted him directly about these situations and followed the appropriate reporting procedures? Also - is this not saying similar to what I said? The man has a lot of responsibilities (you touch on a mere drop in the ocean) - to get a better performing CEO there is only one route - pay more.

John Mothersole the chief executive at Sheffield Council earns £184,283 per year while the prime minister who one would think has the hardest job in the U.K earns £40,000 less.

- "Yes Donald"

- "Of course Donald"

- "Three bags full Donald"

Not difficult at all

This leads to who is worth what.

Is Mothersole who delegate's all the City works out to private enterprise and so all the responsibility for that work worth more than say a home help or nurse who goes around for up to 12 hours a day wiping bums and cumforting folk or the bin men who rise at 5.30 am in all weathers to shift our rubbish

or the street cleaners and so on ,these people who earn Tzijlis pea nuts cannot delegate their jobs or get the perks of company cars and outlandish pensions .

So once again who 's job is the hardest the delegater's or the grafters.

"Work the hardest" in physical or hourly terms doesn't mean someone should be paid the most. In private industry it's about how much value they add to the business, and the public sector has to compete to hire people who could be working in the private sector.

He's in charge of (tens of) thousands of people and is paid an under-market-value rate. People like bashing John Mothersole but I think he does a decent job - although with the recent Amey debacle I am beginning to think it might be time for him to move on.

Simple fact is that in high-powered positions you have to pay to get quality. Pay peanuts, get monkeys. Theresa May is in fact an excellent example of that.

Total rubbish, the leaders of the failed Rotherham Council that were complicit in the recent child abuse cases were also highly paid, its a case of the incompetent awarding themselves huge wages because they can, ludicrous.

He's in charge of (tens of) thousands of people and is paid an under-market-value rate. People like bashing John Mothersole but I think he does a decent job - although with the recent Amey debacle I am beginning to think it might be time for him to move on.

Simple fact is that in high-powered positions you have to pay to get quality. Pay peanuts, get monkeys. Theresa May is in fact an excellent example of that.

'In charge of tens of thousands of people.' Actually SCC current staff number is around 7,000.

Many of which have not had a pay rise for several years, while Mr Mothersole, has had a jumber of pay rises over that period.

I don't think there is always a correlation between high competence and high pay.

Too often at this level in local government (and the civil service for that matter,) it's simply Buggin's turn, jobs for the boys or whether your face fits that decides it.

Anyway, do we really need a chief executive, a Leader of the Council and a Mayor? All at top whack pay scales and expenses. Won't they all be doing the same job, or conversely, fighting each other for the money?

Give me a person with vision, enthusiasm and conviction every time. I know too many people with all the right qualifications on paper who are absolutely useless.

Mothersole should have been sack for the Sevenstones debacle.

"Work the hardest" in physical or hourly terms doesn't mean someone should be paid the most. In private industry it's about how much value they add to the business, and the public sector has to compete to hire people who could be working in the private sector.

In private industry if you screw up, fail to add value etc.. you're out

Not so with the Council CEO. It seems he can screw up numerous times and his job's still safe. The debacle over the Amey tree felling contract for example, has made Sheffield a laughing stock at both National and International level, but Mothersole lives on, no matter who is running the council.

this council needs outing for a while as its stale to say the least,they find it hard to make a decision,fail to move with the times,totally out of date and waste cash ,just a few of the obvious problems.we need change now.

FFS you cannot "out" a council are you so dense to not understand how a council works if you "got rid of the council" what would you replace it with ?

---------- Post added 15-04-2018 at 01:04 ----------

Not so with the Council CEO. It seems he can screw up numerous times and his job's still safe. The debacle over the Amey tree felling contract for example, has made Sheffield a laughing stock at both National and International level, but Mothersole lives on, no matter who is running the council.

really i thinbk theres more than a few cases where private industry CEO's have mucked up and gone onto other jobs all attracting excessive pay packets.

you clearly have no experience of private industry

while ever your business remains solvent, you are pretty much free to waste millions with impunity

you clearly have no experience of private industry

while ever your business remains solvent, you are pretty much free to waste millions with impunity

As has been proven.

However, don't forget Mr Mothersole is running the whole of Sheffield whereas the PM is only running the country :huh:

As has been proven.

However, don't forget Mr Mothersole is running the whole of Sheffield whereas the PM is only running the country :huh:

Amie is running Sheffield for Mothersole and his officers who all trouser a large salary to delegate the work that they should be doing it they were capable .