Sheffield Council boss earns more than Prime Minister.

John Mothersole the chief executive at Sheffield Council earns £184,283 per year while the prime minister who one would think has the hardest job in the U.K earns £40,000 less.

Up to 18 others who work for our cash starved council all earn around £100,000 or more so what kind of message do these massive salaries send to the workers who try to make ends meet on salaries of around £15,000 one asks.

Apart from that we are told that care Holmes must close along with many other facilities due to Government cut backs.

Cut backs for some it seems.

But its a hard job he does , bringing all the high quality shops and developments to Sheffield

John Mothersole the chief executive at Sheffield Council earns £184,283 per year while the prime minister who one would think has the hardest job in the U.K earns £40,000 less.

Up to 18 others who work for our cash starved council all earn around £100,000 or more so what kind of message do these massive salaries send to the workers who try to make ends meet on salaries of around £15,000 one asks.

Apart from that we are told that care Holmes must close along with many other facilities due to Government cut backs.

Cut backs for some it seems.

I agree with you.

Because the CEOs of big companies have been awarding themselves huge salaries, these guys seem to think they should be getting similar renumeration, forgetting entirely that their salaries come from the hard pressed taxpayer, usually earning a fraction of what these council workers seem to think they're worth.

That's why I never believe them when they say they don't have the money for essential services. They have a seriously lacking sense of priorities.

Disgusting who elected him and we have councilors to run this city I don't think we even need the guy and to say he's on more than three pm if he was running UK like Sheffield is being run at the minute I'm sure he'd be out of a job. Total change in management at ssc I think

Disgusting who elected him and we have councilors to run this city I don't think we even need the guy and to say he's on more than three pm if he was running UK like Sheffield is being run at the minute I'm sure he'd be out of a job. Total change in management at ssc I think

Chief execs aren't elected, they are selected, after applying for the vacancy, and going through the interview process.

To top it all these experts then pass over the running of the City to a private company who then e!ect more big money experts to run the job .

Animal Farm is alive and running the trough is full and over flowing.

He's in charge of (tens of) thousands of people and is paid an under-market-value rate. People like bashing John Mothersole but I think he does a decent job - although with the recent Amey debacle I am beginning to think it might be time for him to move on.

Simple fact is that in high-powered positions you have to pay to get quality. Pay peanuts, get monkeys. Theresa May is in fact an excellent example of that.

To top it all these experts then pass over the running of the City to a private company who then e!ect more big money experts to run the job .

Animal Farm is alive and running the trough is full and over flowing.

the outsourcing of services is something that the government forces on councils. left to their own devices i doubt many councils would do it.

He's in charge of (tens of) thousands of people and is paid an under-market-value rate. People like bashing John Mothersole but I think he does a decent job - although with the recent Amey debacle I am beginning to think it might be time for him to move on.

Simple fact is that in high-powered positions you have to pay to get quality. Pay peanuts, get monkeys. Theresa May is in fact an excellent example of that.

He is an over-promoted pen-pusher.

He has exhibited incompetence in the past, but nothing happens to these types.

O

the outsourcing of services is something that the government forces on councils. left to their own devices i doubt many councils would do it.

In Sheffield we had the P.W.D. (public works dept) and the City Engineers who ran the City's structure saving us millions of pounds that would have gone to private company profit .

These council departments built housing estates ,roads, flats and ran the super structure of our City , good idea that weren't it.

Edited by Albert smith

O

In Sheffield we had the P.W.D. (public works dept) and the City Engineers who ran the City's structure saving us millions of pounds that would have gone to private company profit .

These council departments built housing estates ,roads, flats and ran the super structure of our City , good idea that weren't it.

i'm not denying that the in house provided services were, by and large, good and that outsourcing has, by and large, not resulted in an improved service,

however, the fact remains that successive governments since the early 1980's have forced councils to outsource services regardless of what the council wanted to do.

Hey Tzijlstra (I've always wondered how you pronounce that...)

I'm afraid I'm going to disagree with you on this. I'm an idealist I guess, which informs my thinking on this but many hugely respected figures from the past did not do their great works because they were paid a high salary (e.g. Einstein, Charlie Parker, Chomsky, Jenny Diski, Charlotte Bronté), rather it's because they were driven and passionate about the things they did. Yes some of them ended their days reasonably well off, but that was effect rather than cause and is often utterly irreverent in terms of their biographies.

I would suggest that for someone taking a role in civic leadership, doing the job well, being passionate about civic matters, and being a servant to the people should be a much higher concern than the salary. If it is purely salary that people are after there are excellent career opportunities in banking (providing one has the competency and the appetite for *really* hard work).

So an alternative aphorism might be: "pay peanuts, get someone who's passionate - pay huge amounts get money-grabbing thoughtless see-you-next-tuesdays''

:) Just some food for thought...