Do electricians not want work?

I suspect the real reason there is such a shortage of tradesmen in Sheffield is because they have steady regular work for the next 6 to 10 years working on the enormous new retail and office sites in town and on the 10,000 new apartments that are being built in the city.

Many are probably working 7 days a week to stay on top of their workload.

In theory this should attract new people into the market, get themselves trained up and start taking on this excess work.

If domestic work is more of a pain to do, but people can't find anyone to do it, then the few who will do it can charge more... But the ability to charge more attracts more tradesmen to do the work...

Just a reminder that this is a discussions thread, it is not for recommendations or an opportunity to tout for work or advertise.

If you want recommendations please use the relevant megathread.

Thank you.

The biggest problem for tradesmen when doing domestic jobs is trying to get paid after you have done the job.Its right up their with trying to split an atom.:hihi:

Any Russian electricians in Sheffield ?

Yes, but they're not Russian to do the job......I'll get me coat.:hihi:

I suspect the real reason there is such a shortage of tradesmen in Sheffield is because they have steady regular work for the next 6 to 10 years working on the enormous new retail and office sites in town and on the 10,000 new apartments that are being built in the city.

Many are probably working 7 days a week to stay on top of their workload.

I agree. The electricians I know including my son are already working plenty of hours. My son is very qualified and is doing over 60 hours a week as it is. He is working on new builds and does not like doing "house bashing" in older properties as that can be time consuming and not as well paid.

As I've said before there's a huge opportunity for someone honest and reliable, wanting to start a small business, doing smallish odd jobs round the house. It would certainly suit an older person struggling to get a job because they're considered past it at 45.

Old people are crying out for this service. Get some experience and reccomendations and maybe a charity like age concern would be able to supply a constant stream of work.

Its not quite that simple when doing electrical work as it has to conform to regulations which are quite strict and then possibly tested and certified as well. Simple stuff is fine but no chance when it come to re-wiring or even a partial re-wire.

Lol, it's not just electricians. A team of four were taking down trees over the road. Very professional looking, huge truck with trailer. Asked them for a price to take down one of mine.

It's gonna be five to six hundred (it is a very big tree).

I've already had a quote for much less than that.

How much if you don't mind me asking?

Three hundred.

Ok we'll do it for three hundred if it's cash. We're back tomorrow to finish off over the road, we'll do yours in the afternoon.

Twelve o'clock next day the chain saws went quiet. Looked out the window to see the truck disappearing. Last I saw of them. Obviously £75 apiece in their back pockets wasn't enough for an afternoon's work. :huh:

I know 4 electricians, 3 painter/decorators, 2 brick layers, 2 plumbers, 3 'general handymen' as well as a plethora of other skilled people (Dj's, event planners, taxi driver, accountant)

I can't see how people struggle to find people to do the work, my biggest problem is having the money to afford to pay for the work!

I agree. The electricians I know including my son are already working plenty of hours. My son is very qualified and is doing over 60 hours a week as it is. He is working on new builds and does not like doing "house bashing" in older properties as that can be time consuming and not as well paid.

Since he sets his own prices and people are apparently struggling to find anyone to do the work, how can it be "not as well paid"?

I do domestic work yes it can be a ballache but i find it pays really well. Hardest part is quoting, it only comes with experience. These no show tradesman have probably quoted too low to get the job and then later realise they are not going to make any money.