Do electricians not want work?

Moved house recently and there's some rewiring work that needs doing, new consumer unit etc, but we cannot get an electrician for love nor money.

Tried several and they either don't answer the phone or promise to call back and never do or promise to come and look and never turn up.

The last one we tried (personally recommended by our new neighbours, so we know he's been good in the past) went so far as to turn up and see what needed doing, promised to get back to us with a quote...... and was never heard from again. Doesn't return our calls/voicemails.

What's going on? Is there a glut of electrical work and they don't need any more? Do electricians not want tricky work in older properties?

Edited by nikki-red

Paul of Hadfields is a genuine guy who I have used many times and I am sure would quote for what you want carried out. I have no connection with Hadfields apart from being a well satisfied customer of many years.

Hadfield Electrical & Security Supplies

632 Abbeydale Road

Sheffield

S7 2BA

Telephone: 0114-255 3854

You answered your own question, Do electricians not want tricky work in old houses?

I had a similar experience with a Joiner, we agreed a price and I told him there was no hurry and he could fit it in when he had a slot. Six months later I got a call and he apologised because he had forgotten about the job, I accepted this and told him to order the parts and do the job, another 6 months and I have not heard a peep from him.

You answered your own question, Do electricians not want tricky work in old houses?

Welcome to the British work ethic.

Just the same with plumbers.

.......it's worth remembering that these days it's never been easier to pass yourself off as a tradesperson!

Try Loxley Electrical. (0114) 233 5274.

Run by Warren Trippett. Used him a few times. Decent bloke, reasonable prices.

Same as brickie's been let down twice cash waiting

If they wanted to do the work, they would do it. It doesn't matter what trade it is, if it doesn't suit them and have alot of work on, they won't do it.

Think if may swing both ways ...I've spent time doing quotes for jobs ....never to hear from again ....then a few years down the line , they phone you to sort out someone's mess !

Think if may swing both ways ...I've spent time doing quotes for jobs ....never to hear from again ....then a few years down the line , they phone you to sort out someone's mess !

To be fair, you should absolutely expect to not win every job you quote.

On the other hand, if you want business you should provide a quote when you say you will, turn up when you say you will and if you accept a job then you should do the job.