Is SCC trying to scam my sis-in-law

LL agrees it's bloody stupid way of going round things. It's just more hassle for everyone involved including the council.

So the previous tenant was happy to be paying council tax at two houses?

So the previous tenant was happy to be paying council tax at two houses?

Previous tenant was the LL. They assumed that as the CT had already been paid in full it was just easier to, in effect let sleeping dogs lie and allow SIL to take over payment from the next tax year. Having met them they're an extremely nice couple.

The previous owners would get a refund, once they tell the council they have moved out.

Council tax does not run April to April, its worked out on a daily basis. You are thinking ill of your council, councils are honest organisations.

you are joking aren't you??? Redacted contract, trees hacked and goodness knows what else that we don't know about

Council Tax in fact runs from/beginning 1 April to/ending 31 March.

This is so for all Local Authorities.

When I private rented I informed the council we had moved in and paid the council tax from that date, caused a lot less hassle.