Is SCC trying to scam my sis-in-law

So this is to do with council tax.

My SIL moved into a property as its first ever tenant in. Nov 2017.The owners lived it in till the week before she moved in.

The owners had paid the council tax for the year in full until April 2018 (copy of the receipt was in with the tenancy paperwork)

She received her CT bill and all was fine showing from this year to next about 10 days ago. Yesterday however she received another CT bill, showing the next year AND stating she owes over £400 from Nov 2017 till now. It also states to ignore the previous bill.

Surely if the CT was paid upto this year for the property she owes nothing as it was already paid for?

BTW SCC won't budge on it, they say it's owed despite having evidence to the contrary in her possession. When pushed about it, asking if she paid it would the previous payees be refunded their overpayment, SCC said no.

Is SCC just trying to scam extra cash?

So this is to do with council tax.

My SIL moved into a property as its first ever tenant in. Nov 2017.The owners lived it in till the week before she moved in.

The owners had paid the council tax for the year in full until April 2018 (copy of the receipt was in with the tenancy paperwork)

The previous owners would get a refund, once they tell the council they have moved out.

Council tax does not run April to April, its worked out on a daily basis. You are thinking ill of your council, councils are honest organisations.

The previous owners would get a refund, once they tell the council they have moved out.

The council tax form would have asked when your

The previous residents can apply for a refund or a transfer depending on where they live now.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/content/sheffield/home/council-tax/apply-council-tax-refund.html

Even if they've stated they won't?

If they do then it's fine as the LL has stated they would refund my SIL because it was part of the original agreement but it just seems a backwards way of doing things. CT is for the property and it's been paid in full for the year and they've not asked for it to be refunded.

If they do then it's fine as the LL has stated they would refund my SIL because it was part of the original agreement but it just seems a backwards way of doing things. CT is for the property and it's been paid in full for the year and they've not asked for it to be refunded.

I doubt very much the council has a process for that scenario. They'll bill from the date someone moved in.

Does her tenancy agreement state that she is liable for the council tax? If not then it's the owner that pays anyway.

IF the tenancy agreement states she is liable then pay up to the council. If the landlord then doesnt refund the amount your SIL has a sepearte claim against them but thats seperate to the council tax.

---------- Post added 13-04-2018 at 10:35 ----------

I doubt very much the council has a process for that scenario. They'll bill from the date someone moved in.

Thats the only way they will do it. Never seen any council do any different I dont think.

Does her tenancy agreement state that she is liable for the council tax? If not then it's the owner that pays anyway.

IF the tenancy agreement states she is liable then pay up to the council. If the landlord then doesnt refund the amount your SIL has a sepearte claim against them but thats seperate to the council tax.

---------- Post added 13-04-2018 at 10:35 ----------

Thats the only way they will do it. Never seen any council do any different I dont think.

In writing it states that the CT is paid up to the end of the financial year 2017/18 at which point my SIL then becomes liable for her own CT. They did it that way as they assumed that because it was already paid in full it wouldn't be an issue. Receipts for the CT paid in April 2017 were also included in the paperwork.

In writing it states that the CT is paid up to the end of the financial year 2017/18 at which point my SIL then becomes liable for her own CT. They did it that way as they assumed that because it was already paid in full it wouldn't be an issue. Receipts for the CT paid in April 2017 were also included in the paperwork.

I guess they didn't ask the council how they felt about it?

They can apply for a refund - which they probably have, and your SIL is liable from when she moved in.

She can of course pursaue the landlord for the outstanding amount and if the tenancy states that she'd probably win in a court case. However the council will still need paying I think. You may be able to persuade them otherwise with thea copy of the tenancy cannot hurt to ask.

CT is for the property and it's been paid in full for the year and they've not asked for it to be refunded.

It also depends how many people live there, a single person would claim 25% discount.

They can apply for a refund - which they probably have, and your SIL is liable from when she moved in.

She can of course pursaue the landlord for the outstanding amount and if the tenancy states that she'd probably win in a court case. However the council will still need paying I think. You may be able to persuade them otherwise with thea copy of the tenancy cannot hurt to ask.

No need to pursue the LL on this, they've been made fully aware and today have made a refund request and a payment to my SIL for the amount.

LL agrees it's bloody stupid way of going round things. It's just more hassle for everyone involved including the council.