Best bars for the over 40s in town please?

It obviously depends what you are looking for in a bar. 'Over 40s' go in all sorts of places so you'll have to tell us what sort of places you like.

I'm looking for a pub for the over 40's which has lots of under 40's in it.:love:

---------- Post added 27-05-2018 at 06:43 ----------

Depends what sort of thing you like really doesn't it? I know people over 40 who still prefer loud places to traditional pubs. You should help us out, narrow it down a little!

In lieu of any extra info I am forced to be ageist and assume you don't want to be in places with loud music and mainly under 30s:

Social day drinking:

- Sheffield Tap at the train station. Grand interior and enormous range of drinks. Other than the slightly expensive prices and occasionally crowded bar it's a good all-round option.

- Sheaf View - great beer garden, popular with different generations, simple and homely, good likelihood of a seat.

- The Francis Newton - Wetherspoons in a modern 'Inn' type building near the botanical gardens - as you'd expect - generic, anodyne and harmless, but a very pleasant view from the beer garden nonetheless.

- Devonshire Cat - a very much middle class/middle aged place these days, uninteresting décor and expensive but a very strong selection of drinks

- Kelham Island Tavern - famous brewery tap but will likely be rammed

Quieter spots:

- The Three Tuns - quirky shaped pub with traditional ales and a calmer environment

- The Dog & Partridge - a very traditional pub with comfortable surroundings

- The Gardeners Rest - away from the bustle in town, traditional glorious pub

- The Blake Hotel - if you fancy a walk up a steep hill there's one of the best pubs in the city at the top of it

- The Brown Bear - if you're prepared for that timewarp effect that accompanies stepping into lots of Sam Smiths pubs.

Some good advice there, although the guy was stating "in town" and as much as I like the Blake Hotel, I don't really think you could call that "in town" could you? It's miles away!

The Sheaf View is also not in town - although worth a detour I admit. The only thing about this pub that I don't like is it seems compulsory not to wash your hair and take a stray dog with you. At times it is like a Crufts for stray dogs in there. There's usually a good dog fight going on outside as well.

---------- Post added 27-05-2018 at 06:45 ----------

I would suggest for over 40s, Maggie Mays, new bar Woodys on West Street or the Green Room on Saturday evenings when they play Mowtown...

"Mowtown"? You been on the grass when you typed that?:hihi:

---------- Post added 27-05-2018 at 06:49 ----------

I'm 44, and those 3 are among the last places I'd want to drink in. I'll be out this Friday, with a few mates of a similar age. We'll prbably do the Bath Hotel, Devonshire Cat and Brewdog, and finish in the Washington

I'm with you on this. I also can't think of anything worse than Maggie Mays, Woody's and Green Room. Unless...you consider yourself "the oldest swinger in town".

If you're one of those 40+ year olds, whose hair is thinning but you keep it long on top so you can do a comb-over and hide the bald bits; if you think it's cool to drape a pastel coloured v-neck sweater over your shoulders when you go out; if you wear moccasin shoes and crimplene trousers; well...you just might enjoy Maggie Mays and the like. :gag:

Guest makapaka
I'm looking for a pub for the over 40's which has lots of under 40's in it.:love:

---------- Post added 27-05-2018 at 06:43 ----------

Some good advice there, although the guy was stating "in town" and as much as I like the Blake Hotel, I don't really think you could call that "in town" could you? It's miles away!

The Sheaf View is also not in town - although worth a detour I admit. The only thing about this pub that I don't like is it seems compulsory not to wash your hair and take a stray dog with you. At times it is like a Crufts for stray dogs in there. There's usually a good dog fight going on outside as well.

---------- Post added 27-05-2018 at 06:45 ----------

"Mowtown"? You been on the grass when you typed that?:hihi:

---------- Post added 27-05-2018 at 06:49 ----------

I'm with you on this. I also can't think of anything worse than Maggie Mays, Woody's and Green Room. Unless...you consider yourself "the oldest swinger in town".

If you're one of those 40+ year olds, whose hair is thinning but you keep it long on top so you can do a comb-over and hide the bald bits; if you think it's cool to drape a pastel coloured v-neck sweater over your shoulders when you go out; if you wear moccasin shoes and crimplene trousers; well...you just might enjoy Maggie Mays and the like. :gag:

You’ve never been in Maggie mays have you?

It’s a dive but that’s not how anyone dresses in there.

You’ve never been in Maggie mays have you?

It’s a dive but that’s not how anyone dresses in there.

Was thinking the same!

Its time to drape my jumper over my shoulders , comb my "Gin"ger hair over my bald patch, put on my tight jeans nd overhanging shirt and head out into town an dsee what places I can find that are over 40s but with youung "birds" in ..... hopefully there will be some "Mowtown", Northern Soul or Disco playing in Maggie Mays or one of the other bars like it ...

Here's what I want in as an over 40. Somewhere that serves the kind of drinks I want (real ale, in my case) with good service and interesting company. I don't care how the customers look or dress. I'd rather judge someone on their character than their appearance and I like people comfortable in their own skin, rather than the 50-something year old Fonz.

Sheffield Tap and Rutland are the only places I'd rate in town, Bath and Red Deer aren't far away. Kelham Island isn't that far from the town centre and plenty of pubs that meet my criteria - good beer and company.

The Blake is a mile and a half from town, albeit a hilly walk. Like Kelham, it's perhaps worth the detour for the other pubs close by - newly opened Blind Monkey, WBC, Hallamshire, Closed Shop.

I often tumble into a pub after a fell race and I take a great deal of pride in my appearance because every scratch, bruise and big bog smear is hard earned. Sometimes I wear a skirt - makes it easier to wild pee on exposed moorland discretely.

So perhaps we could start with a list of pubs where Derby Tup does drink. Because I'd love to know where I've been lowering the tone and ruining his evening.