Best bars for the over 40s in town please?

Coming up for the May day weekend and need a few pointers in the right direction.

It obviously depends what you are looking for in a bar. 'Over 40s' go in all sorts of places so you'll have to tell us what sort of places you like.

I'm over 40, but I can't remember my taste in pubs changing when I got there.

lots of great pubs on west st and nearby for all ages - bath hotel, red deer, devonshire cat, frog and parrot, devonshire plus Sheff University have a beer festival on all May BH weekend (open to all) - then there is kelham island area with loads of real ale bars and some trendy restaurants/bars (shakespeares, bar stewards, three tuns, kelham island tav, riverside, fat cat, harlequin, inc bar, ship inn) then city centre - head of steam, spoons, museum, leopold square bars, bessemer) - in fact dozens to go at! Enjoy

Don't forget to call in at the Hen and Chickens

Don't forget to call in at the Hen and Chickens

He's looking for a beer, not a bloody omelette.:hihi: Just kidding, is that pub still open? All the others around there seem to be gone.

He's looking for a beer, not a bloody omelette.:hihi: Just kidding, is that pub still open? All the others around there seem to be gone.

Yep , still open and thriving , with a classy clientele :) Last time I was in there someone set fire to another ones hair :hihi:

Yep , still open and thriving , with a classy clientele :) Last time I was in there someone set fire to another ones hair :hihi:

and it wasn't on his head

and it wasn't on his head

Or hers :)

Must have been a sozzled (sizzled) Cannon regular who lost his way to his local eh? "Took a wrong turn and he just kept going" (Hungry Heart).

Coming up for the May day weekend and need a few pointers in the right direction.

Depends what sort of thing you like really doesn't it? I know people over 40 who still prefer loud places to traditional pubs. You should help us out, narrow it down a little!

In lieu of any extra info I am forced to be ageist and assume you don't want to be in places with loud music and mainly under 30s:

Social day drinking:

- Sheffield Tap at the train station. Grand interior and enormous range of drinks. Other than the slightly expensive prices and occasionally crowded bar it's a good all-round option.

- Sheaf View - great beer garden, popular with different generations, simple and homely, good likelihood of a seat.

- The Francis Newton - Wetherspoons in a modern 'Inn' type building near the botanical gardens - as you'd expect - generic, anodyne and harmless, but a very pleasant view from the beer garden nonetheless.

- Devonshire Cat - a very much middle class/middle aged place these days, uninteresting décor and expensive but a very strong selection of drinks

- Kelham Island Tavern - famous brewery tap but will likely be rammed

Quieter spots:

- The Three Tuns - quirky shaped pub with traditional ales and a calmer environment

- The Dog & Partridge - a very traditional pub with comfortable surroundings

- The Gardeners Rest - away from the bustle in town, traditional glorious pub

- The Blake Hotel - if you fancy a walk up a steep hill there's one of the best pubs in the city at the top of it

- The Brown Bear - if you're prepared for that timewarp effect that accompanies stepping into lots of Sam Smiths pubs.

If you’re not a real ale person and just want to go round some decent busy bars . Try starting in All Bar about 6.30ish .

Cross the road try any of the Leopold square bars imidiatley to the left .

Cross the square and go in Cuckoo .

From there Maida Vale .

Bit of a walk then onto Division St .

Go in Frog and Parrot , Old House (although I think it might have changed it’s name again )

Forum bar , and Green Room

If you manage that lot , trust me you’ll have had a blummin good night