Sheffield Tourist office to be turned into football hub - too late?

There are plans to turn the now closed Sheffield Tourist Centre into a football hub, with United, Wednesday, Sheffield FC and Hallam FC joining forces to work on a project designed to make the birthplace of the game a football tourist centre.

Great idea etc etc, but isn't this typical Sheffield? Much as I love the place, I'm astounded that it has never made much of its unique position as the home of the world's most popular game, and has let places like Manchester build a major Football Museum and steal a march on us. Yet again.

Manchester will have the museum. We will likely get a small shop full of those fake replica Sheffield FC shirts from that shop that went bust after only a few months near Hunters Bar.

Twas ever thus . . .

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/exciting-plans-emerge-for-old-sheffield-tourist-office-1-9101664

that tourist information kiosk in Surrey street was a bit useless.

When it was open, I’d pop in and see what events were taking place in around our great city of Sheffield.

But whose stupid idea was it to close for 30 minutes for lunch everyday, when most people would be walking past?

Typical Sheffield :roll:

That building is only about 10 meters square

The Plough, opposite Hallam FC, would be a much better location for something like this, seeing as that is actually the birthplace of football (where the rules were first written down and next to the oldest ground in the world).

has let places like Manchester build a major Football Museum and steal a march on us. Yet again.

To be fair, it was in Preston for some years before moving to Manchester.

I'm more concerned at why the tourist office closed.

Edited by alchresearch

To be fair, it was in Preston for some years before moving to Manchester.

I'm more concerned at why the tourist office closed.

1) public sector spending cuts

2) it's all online these days.

Where is/was the tourist office ?

Must have walk past it hundreds of times and never noticed it,although I wasn't looking for it I suppose.

Right next to the Winter Garden entrance on Surrey Street

https://www.thestar.co.uk/webimage/1.8799262.1507728856!/image/image.jpg

If you've been to the Central Library, you've walked passed it, it's that insignificant.

Ive seen better looking portacabins than that . Never knew it was there

This sounds like a good idea. Sheffield has to start somewhere promoting its role in world football history, we've got a lot to shout about. We've done almost nothing with it so far. Yes the Plough needs saving from development as part of this, but a small city centre unit near the library, art galleries, theatres etc is a good place. Start small and build up from there.

Although this unit hasn't found its best use so far it is in a prominent position as people pass on the way to/from the station or hang around in Tudor Sq.

That building is only about 10 meters square

The Plough, opposite Hallam FC, would be a much better location for something like this, seeing as that is actually the birthplace of football (where the rules were first written down and next to the oldest ground in the world).

I totaly agree and did propose this about 15 years ago during one of its closures, from there tours could take in a trip to key points followed by a meal back at the Plough then onto a local game on certain tours.

its a pity we sold the paperwork for a low price that stated the rules,otherwise the idea although great,would be even better,and yes hallam area for it all or olive grove.