Kentucky Fried Chicken

@lottiecass

I don’t doubt it.

However, is supermarket chicken any different to chicken destined for KFC?

I would imagine not, and if people are concerned about eating ethically reared chicken, avoiding KFC while eating supermarket chicken seems a bit daft..

My dad gets chicken from Whirlow Farm; think he pays around 12 quid a bird, is very good quality meat apparently, and ethically reared.

20 minutes ago, Waldo said:

@lottiecass

I don’t doubt it.

However, is supermarket chicken any different to chicken destined for KFC?

I would imagine not, and if people are concerned about eating ethically reared chicken, avoiding KFC while eating supermarket chicken seems a bit daft..

My dad gets chicken from Whirlow Farm; think he pays around 12 quid a bird, is very good quality meat apparently, and ethically reared.

Very nice I'm sure but bear in mind that is probably over a quarter of someone's weekly shopping bill.   I don't see it being very feasible.

I've seen people in my local supermarket buying food for a family of at least three or four for less than £30.

This is always the problem with ethical organic, free-range and/or hipster style food.  It always comes with a ridiculous and out of reach price tag.   

If these trendy startups want to really break the mould they need to stop going after the niche and high-end markets and put their efforts into finding and developing an ethical and well sourced product which can have an accessible price tag.

I suspect if you actually went and asked people they are not eating battery hens because they hate wildlife they are simply doing it because it's all they can afford.

14 hours ago, rudds1 said:

If you ever work at some of the kfc branches you’d never eat the stuff again 

To be fair if you worked in any kind of professional food preparation environment (even high-end ones) most people will be appalled and disgusted by the processes.

You cannot make 50-100 thousand batches of a product without the process being artificial, pre-made and sometimes even pre-cooked.

Even posh hotel kitchens where there are catering for 200 to 300 people paying £70-100 a head still get mass-produced, machine processed, pre-prepared and often microwave food during service.

Edited by ECCOnoob

On 01/12/2019 at 23:48, ECCOnoob said:

Very nice I'm sure but bear in mind that is probably over a quarter of someone's weekly shopping bill.   I don't see it being very feasible.

I've seen people in my local supermarket buying food for a family of at least three or four for less than £30.

This is always the problem with ethical organic, free-range and/or hipster style food.  It always comes with a ridiculous and out of reach price tag.   

If these trendy startups want to really break the mould they need to stop going after the niche and high-end markets and put their efforts into finding and developing an ethical and well sourced product which can have an accessible price tag.

I suspect if you actually went and asked people they are not eating battery hens because they hate wildlife they are simply doing it because it's all they can afford.

To be fair if you worked in any kind of professional food preparation environment (even high-end ones) most people will be appalled and disgusted by the processes.

You cannot make 50-100 thousand batches of a product without the process being artificial, pre-made and sometimes even pre-cooked.

Even posh hotel kitchens where there are catering for 200 to 300 people paying £70-100 a head still get mass-produced, machine processed, pre-prepared and often microwave food during service.

Couldn't agree more.

Guest makapaka
On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 08:52, gaz 786 said:

The chips at my local (Corton Wood) are shocking still got skin on tasteless as I said get chicken from there and chips from elsewhere KFC gone down hill over tears at Firth Park in 80's you struggled to eat it all you got that much! 

Imagine going to KFC and ordering some chicken and then going to mcdonalds to get some chips......😁

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

Imagine going to KFC and ordering some chicken and then going to mcdonalds to get some chips......😁

You can only dream of that level of sophistication....😉

On 06/04/2018 at 01:07, JOHN HABS said:

Thought I would treat myself to some Kentucky Fried Chicken today (5th April 2018 ), went to the local one and was in the process of ordering my usual meal, which includes 2 portions of large fries - we don't do large anymore I was told.

How big are the normal bags and how much per bag......99 pence I was told.

Now I'm not exaggerating, but you would be lucky to get more than 10 fries in that small bag

so to get anywhere near the number of fries I use to get in the two large bags, I would have to buy at least 4 x small ones: cost £3-96 ( that's just for the fries ) - told them to cancel the order and I walked out.

At my local fish and chip shop, I can get a bag of chips for £1.20 and there's that many you can't eat them all and have to throw some away.

Shame I won't be having any KFC again......but I'm not paying those prices !

There's no listing or advertisement over the back of the counter has there use to be either showing extra portions that are available.

Well done, that is the only way to protest, don't give them custom. More of us should do the same.

Angel1.

On 01/12/2019 at 08:52, gaz 786 said:

The chips at my local (Corton Wood) are shocking still got skin on tasteless as I said get chicken from there and chips from elsewhere KFC gone down hill over tears at Firth Park in 80's you struggled to eat it all you got that much! 

The new(ish) style fries do have skin on. They generally come luke warm and soggy just like the old style chips they tried to improve upon but appear to have failed.

Edited by lil-minx92