Sympathetic dentist required

Please could someone recommend a caring dentist. I desperately need teeth extracting but I am a nervous wreck. I don’t care which area, I can travel, just need someone with understanding and care. Can anyone please help?

Have you thought about a referral to the Charles Clifford? I'm going there for an extraction and having IV sedation as I'm very nervous.

Please could someone recommend a caring dentist. I desperately need teeth extracting but I am a nervous wreck. I don’t care which area, I can travel, just need someone with understanding and care. Can anyone please help?

Melvyn McCart of Minto Road Practice Hillsborough and his partners certainly meet your description and more, although I don't know whether this practice is currently taking on new patients. I would suggest you try them anyway - 0114 2343469

Edited by silverglade5
spelling mistake

Hope you find someone chris, I'm like you absolutely terrified, its like going in a torture chamber:gag:

Occudental on Western Bank have been brilliant for me after years of terrible dentistry from the NHS.

They dealt with an abcess and tooth extraction for me when I was really nervous and they were great, I've recommended several colleagues and friend's who all were amazed at the difference compared to their previous dentists.

http://www.occudental.co.uk/

Last year I went to Grenoside Dental Care 40 Norfolk Hill Grenoside. Phone 0114 2456130.It's only a small practice and only opens about 3 days per week,I think it's Tues Wed and Thurs but I'm not 100% sure.The dentist is a woman and she was absolutely brilliant.She did me 6 fillings and pulled me 3 teeth and I never felt a bit of pain.There were no after effects and everything healed up as clean as a whistle.Give her a call you won't be disappointed.

I feel for you. I have similar problems.

It came to a crisis about a year ago when I needed a long time in the chair for a root canal (I was in a lot of pain) and I made a fool of myself. I went to my local dentist, but couldn't sit still, couldn't even stay seated. Sweating, heart going a million miles a minute. Dentist was nice as anything, but it was not working and we had to call it off.

I spent an entire evening Googling and found a great dentist in Billingham, in Tyneside. Billingham! I called and they asked me to come up to see if I was suitable for general anesthesia.

Instead of the anesthesia, he actually did the root canal there and then, gently, one step at a time, making sure I always felt in control. I thought no way it was going to work. But id did. No panic, no sweating, no tears. He combines a thoughtful manner with a bunch of techniques -- the most important one for me was not to lean me back too far so I wouldn't feel like I was drowning. It's other techniques depending on where your panic comes from.

It made all the difference to have someone who knew what set me off and had the techniques to accomplish it.

Much better if you can find someone local, but if not this guy is worth the trip.

I don't have his details handy, but PM me if you want to know. Whatever it is, best of luck to you.

Dozer

Have you thought about a referral to the Charles Clifford? I'm going there for an extraction and having IV sedation as I'm very nervous.

I can vouch for Charles Clifford. I had one wisdom tooth out there under sedation, and another out in Royal Hallamshire under general anaesthetic. The nurses were also great.

Thank you all for your kind comments and suggestions. I think probably Charles Clifford is the way to go. I do have memories of traumatic extractions there as a child but dentistry has got much better I am told. I will have to brave up and get a referral. Thanks.

It might help with your fear if you go to a dentist regularly just for a check up. If you get used to going it might not be so scary for you.

On the sweating and palpitations front, is this once you have had the anaesthetic or just from fear prior to it being administered? Regular anaesthetic has adrenaline in. If I have any minor surgery I have a local anaesthetic without adrenaline in, not sure what else is different. Regular anaesthetic makes me sweat and have palpitations.

Thank you all for your kind comments and suggestions. I think probably Charles Clifford is the way to go. I do have memories of traumatic extractions there as a child but dentistry has got much better I am told. I will have to brave up and get a referral. Thanks.

From whom?