Gender pay gap!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/gender-pay-gap-reporting-deadline-companies-must-reveal-or-unlimited-fines-a8287251.html

another cynical excercise which really wont help anything, why on earth should companies be told to do this? if its a private company then it should mind your own blooming business.

pay differences are there for a reason, skills, age, experience, time off for pregnancy etc etc.

there wont be many cases where a position could be considered totally equal.

I agree it seems a silly exercise. Until men can start having babies there will always be a gender pay gap. A gender pay gap doesn't mean female workers are getting paid less than men for doing the same job.

I agree it seems a silly exercise. Until men can start having babies there will always be a gender pay gap. A gender pay gap doesn't mean female workers are getting paid less than men for doing the same job.

Actually having a baby requires approx 2 weeks off work, maybe 3 or 4. Parental leave can be shared, so there's no reason a new mother can't be back at work whilst the father spends the first year at home looking after the child.

The gender pay gap as an average across an organisation isn't very useful information, but it's something that can be built on.

---------- Post added 04-04-2018 at 10:06 ----------

pay differences are there for a reason, skills, age, experience, time off for pregnancy etc etc.

And other less acceptable reasons as well as those you list.

Actually having a baby requires approx 2 weeks off work, maybe 3 or 4. Parental leave can be shared, so there's no reason a new mother can't be back at work whilst the father spends the first year at home looking after the child.

The mother can express breast milk in order for the father to feed the baby, but it does not usually happen that way :loopy:

Guest makapaka

I totally agree with the right to equal pay - I don’t think this survey is very useful though.

It’s just not comparing apples with apples.

The disparity at Ryanair is a good example. The big difference is due to the fact that most if not all their highly paid airline pilots are men - because there are very few female airline pilots.

The lack of female airline pilots and the reason for this is a separate question from equal pay.

The mother can express breast milk in order for the father to feed the baby, but it does not usually happen that way :loopy:

Or the baby could be fed on bottled milk.

I totally agree with the right to equal pay - I don’t think this survey is very useful though.

It’s just not comparing apples with apples.

The disparity at Ryanair is a good example. The big difference is due to the fact that most if not all their highly paid airline pilots are men - because there are very few female airline pilots.

The lack of female airline pilots and the reason for this is a separate question from equal pay.

Yes, you have to compare like with like. You can compare male with female airline pilots for example.

You also need to consider why there is a discrepancy in the amount of each gender in a particular job role. Is it because men and women have natural inclinations and desires to work in specific job roles, or is there active discrimination?

Not a fan of positive discrimination. Saying, for example, we need as close to 50/50 male/female pilots, as possible, is madness. Positive discrimination creates situations where, say, 2 people apply for a job, but the one who is best qualified and most merits the job, does not get it, because they're the wrong gender (or religion, or race, or whatever)...

To my mind, people should be hired and fired solely on their qualifications and ability to do the job, end of.

Edited by Waldo

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/gender-pay-gap-reporting-deadline-companies-must-reveal-or-unlimited-fines-a8287251.html

another cynical excercise which really wont help anything, why on earth should companies be told to do this? if its a private company then it should mind your own blooming business.

there wont be many cases where a position could be considered totally equal.

Slavery was abolished

Women got the vote

Workhouses abolished

Children no longer forced up chimneys

There's 4 reasons why?

My employer has made a song and dance about increasing the number of women in higher paid positions, even though the figure is already near as damnit 50% women.

No corresponding promise to up the number of male cleaners though, to address the massive gender discrepancy at the lower end of the pay scale :confused:

The gender pay gap as an average across an organisation isn't very useful information, but it's something that can be built on.

---------- Post added 04-04-2018 at 10:06 ----------

And other less acceptable reasons as well as those you list.

ah you mean less productive when in hormone cycle time?? and not willing to work over, yes had all that with some staff, no longer employ if under 40.

---------- Post added 04-04-2018 at 17:23 ----------

Slavery was abolished

Women got the vote

Workhouses abolished

Children no longer forced up chimneys

There's 4 reasons why?

and it has to do with gender related pay?? because?

ah you mean less productive when in hormone cycle time?? and not willing to work over, yes had all that with some staff, no longer employ if under 40.

I hope you get taken to the cleaners for age discrimination as well then.

I hope you get taken to the cleaners for age discrimination as well then.

Prove it:roll: