Dave Allen: God's Own Comedian

Just finished watching two consecutive TV programmes about Irish Comedian Dave Allen ('Dave Allen at Peace' BBC2 9.0pm and 'Dave Allen: God's own Comedian' BBC2 10pm, Monday April 2nd 2018

2 excellent programmes about a brilliant comedian, actor and commentator that some will never have heard of, but who could teach an awful lot of today's snowflakes a lot about the real nature of 'offence,' political correctness, and hypocrisy. - And what happened to his missing finger....

Edited by Anna B

Just finished watching two consecutive TV programmes about Irish Comedian Dave Allen ('Dave Allen at Peace' BBC2 9.0pm and 'Dave Allen: God's own Comedian' BBC2 10pm, Monday April 2nd 2018)

2 excellent programmes about a brilliant comedian, actor and commentator that some will never have heard of, but who could teach an awful lot of today's snowflakes a lot about the real nature of 'offence,' political correctness, and hypocrisy. - And what happened to his missing finger....

Top comedian Dave Allen

I watched the first programme and have the other recorded. He was a great comic, I remember being helpless with laughter at some of his stuff.

The first programme was an actor impersonating him. I didn’t think he quite managed to get his sharp wit

The second programme was about Dave Allen himself which was more enjoyable. What struck me was how the things that Allen did in respect of taking the Catholic faith off in sketches, may have offended people then, but certainly wouldn’t today, with the Catholic church’s record of child abuse and paedophilia priests.

Dave was a very smart comedian and a fantastic person, he could be as funny in real life as he was on stage. Met him on a train many years ago when I was still living over there. No airs and graces from him. He was the one who spoke to me, before I could think of how to approach him. Lol.He just seemed to want me to feel at ease, as he could tell that I recognised him. RIP funny guy.

---------- Post added 02-04-2018 at 19:29 ----------

The first programme was an actor impersonating him. I didn’t think he quite managed to get his sharp wit

The second programme was about Dave Allen himself which was more enjoyable. What struck me was how the things that Allen did in respect of taking the Catholic faith off in sketches, may have offended people then, but certainly wouldn’t today, with the Catholic church’s record of child abuse and paedophilia priests.

He had many death threats from Ireland, in those days. My favourite one of his

was when he said that he thought the signs of the cross went " In the name of the father, and the son and into the hole he goes" . He says that he first heard it as a child attending a funeral and the Priest was saying it as the casket was being lowered into the grave. LOL. It takes pure genius to think one up like that.

Dave was a very smart comedian and a fantastic person, he could be as funny in real life as he was on stage. Met him on a train many years ago when I was still living over there. No airs and graces from him. He was the one who spoke to me, before I could think of how to approach him. Lol.He just seemed to want me to feel at ease, as he could tell that I recognised him. RIP funny guy.

---------- Post added 02-04-2018 at 19:29 ----------

He had many death threats from Ireland, in those days. My favourite one of his

was when he said that he thought the signs of the cross went " In the name of the father, and the son and into the hole he goes" . He says that he first heard it as a child attending a funeral and the Priest was saying it as the casket was being lowered into the grave. LOL. It takes pure genius to think one up like that.

Like me he was a lapsed Catholic but never lost his sharp wit and humour about the Catholic Church.

I saw him at the Cavendish in the late 60’s/early 70’s, he simply sat on a stool with a table for his glass at his side, the waitress kept on topping him up with shorts, he must have been ratted, but you’d never have known. His delivery was superb, he was totally none PC, and used profanities as and when he thought they were needed, he was a class act. :thumbsup:

Yes just remembered, that also on the table was an ash tray, a lighter and a pack of Gauloises cigarettes, that he chain smoked throughout his act.

Edited by Calahonda
Just remembered

Just finished watching two consecutive TV programmes about Irish Comedian Dave Allen ('Dave Allen at Peace' BBC2 9.0pm and 'Dave Allen: God's own Comedian' BBC2 10pm, Monday April 2nd 2018

Dave Allen was funny and of his time. How would he get on now? Given the fairly amusing and completely unoffensive Flo and Joan are now getting death threats - not too well Id wager.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertainment-arts-43590195/singing-stars-of-tv-ad-flo-and-joan-on-the-struggles-of-female-comics

Dave Allen was funny and of his time. How would he get on now? Given the fairly amusing and completely unoffensive Flo and Joan are now getting death threats - not too well Id wager.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/entertainment-arts-43590195/singing-stars-of-tv-ad-flo-and-joan-on-the-struggles-of-female-comics

Good grief, unbelievable... What's the matter with people...?

I saw him at the Cavendish in the late 60’s/early 70’s, he simply sat on a stool with a table for his glass at his side, the waitress kept on topping him up with shorts, he must have been ratted, but you’d never have known. His delivery was superb, he was totally none PC, and used profanities as and when he thought they were needed, he was a class act. :thumbsup:

Yes just remembered, that also on the table was an ash tray, a lighter and a pack of Gauloises cigarettes, that he chain smoked throughout his act.

It must have been about 1968/69.

https://ibb.co/fGdGhH

I wonder how and where he lost the end of his finger. :roll: