Changes to the MoT test from May

if the statement that you cannot take a failed MOT car off the testing premises is true.

I don't believe that is true for a second, it's so open for abuse by dodgy garages such a rule would never be allowed.

It's always been illegal to drive a car in a dangerous condition on the road, MOT or not.

Like I said, it depends on the costs. A pre-test could cost as little as £10-£15, a proper MOT can be upto £55.

Good for you if you can find a garage that will do effectively a full MOT on a labour rate for £15. And if you're paying £55 for an MOT then you're a fool.

But you're not necessarily paying the same price. Plus you have the time and option to take the car to wherever you like for the repairs, if the statement that you cannot take a failed MOT car off the testing premises is true.

Even with the added cost of the pre-test, it could work out cheaper if the test centre's parts and labour is expensive.

If it fails a pre-MOT test then it is still illegal to take it out on the road.

If it fails a pre-MOT test then it is still illegal to take it out on the road.

Where's the legislation for this?

There is none because there is no such thing as an official pre-MOT, so you've technically not failed anything.

You can get done for driving a car in a dangerous condition though, but you'd have to be fool enough to do that in the first place, which generally isn't what people who get a pre-MOT would do.

There is none because there is no such thing as an official pre-MOT, so you've technically not failed anything.

That's what I thought...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-changes-from-may-2018-guidance-for-mot-testers/overview-of-mot-changes-from-may-2018

So the actual guidance to testers.

Presumably the mirror has seized on the

Dangerous A direct and immediate risk to road safety or has a serious impact on the environment.

Do not drive the vehicle until it’s been repaired. Fail

And (now I'm speculating) presumably even if this is identified before your old MOT expires, you will then be driving a car which is unsafe and you know it. Your old MOT may even be marked as invalid on the system.

It won't even be safe to drive the vehicle to another garage to have it repaired. Which makes it rather difficult if you've taken it to an MOT only place, and they don't actually do repairs, the only legal option would be to have it towed or moved on a flatbed.

If it fails then it's not in a roadworthy condition.

---------- Post added 05-04-2018 at 12:00 ----------

You can get done for driving a car in a dangerous condition though, but you'd have to be fool enough to do that in the first place, which generally isn't what people who get a pre-MOT would do.

Yet taking it for a pre-MOT is the solution that has been mooted to allow you to drive it elsewhere to be repaired. My point is simply that if it 'fails' the pre-MOT then it is not roadworthy and you therefore cannot, legally, drive it elsewhere.

If it fails then it's not in a roadworthy condition.

---------- Post added 05-04-2018 at 12:00 ----------

Yet taking it for a pre-MOT is the solution that has been mooted to allow you to drive it elsewhere to be repaired. My point is simply that if it 'fails' the pre-MOT then it is not roadworthy and you therefore cannot, legally, drive it elsewhere.

What exactly is it failing?..If a rear number plate light is out does that make it unroadworthy?

WhatCar seems to confirm that

Minor faults are comparable to the current ‘advisory’ notices written on test certificates by MOT testers for items that aren’t bad enough for the car to fail its test, but will need to be fixed at some point.

Faults classed as Major will require the car to be fixed and retested. And those categorised as Dangerous will make it illegal for the car to be driven on public roads as well as automatic failure of the MOT.

Doesn't explain what you do if you're at an MOT only place though.

---------- Post added 05-04-2018 at 12:06 ----------

A fail and "you can't drive it" is the Dangerous category, a direct and immediate risk to road safety.

Driving a car knowingly in that condition would be an offence anyway, whether it's an MOT, pre-MOT or you just noticed yourself that the engine was falling out a little bit.

What exactly is it failing?..If a rear number plate light is out does that make it unroadworthy?

When the mechanic says, after completing the pre-MOT test, 'your cars gunna fail its MOT' then it's unroadworthy. That is the purpose of the pre-MOT isn't it to needlessly line the pockets of the mechanic to tell you whether you car will pass it's MOT?

Edited by barleycorn

According to this you CAN drive your car if it fails the test but still has time left on the old MOT

https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/after-the-test

I'm hoping to take mine early in May, it is likely to fail with the exhaust blowing. It has been to the garage (twice) and is safe to drive, just noisy. It needs welding, but I'm holding out, if it fails on anything else its not worth spending money on it :(