Changes to the MoT test from May

What everybody really needs is a good mechanic who they trust. If you take your car in for a service and a pre-MOT check, there should be no big nasty surprises when the test is done directly after your mechanic has checked all of the things which are tested (and fixed anything that needs to be fixed).

What everybody really needs is a good mechanic who they trust. If you take your car in for a service and a pre-MOT check, there should be no big nasty surprises when the test is done directly after your mechanic has checked all of the things which are tested (and fixed anything that needs to be fixed).

Not all mechanics have smoke analysis machine. Brake tester nor headlight checking machine but I agree what your saying.

Exactly. Too many people do nothing on their cars and are happy to drive them in a dangerous condition right until MOT day.

The MOT should be a simple exercise to confirm your car is good for the road, not a service to take dangerous cars off the road until repaired.

As the title says from May there are new changes to the MOT. You will no longer be able to drive your car if it goes for the MOT before it is due and fails the test,

Yes you will. This is just more excement stirring by the mirror.

---------- Post added 04-04-2018 at 10:53 ----------

The problem is if you get a dangerous mark the garage is supposed to refuse to let you drive it away. These changes have been know about since late January early Feb

This has been the case for decades.

Take it for a pre mot test before actually booking it for a real mot test....

Pay twice.

---------- Post added 04-04-2018 at 12:02 ----------

Why would you get it serviced when the service wasn't due though? Modern cars have variable service intervals, mine rarely falls anywhere close to my MOT.

Why would you get it serviced when the service wasn't due though? Modern cars have variable service intervals, mine rarely falls anywhere close to my MOT.

OK, so don't get it serviced, get it booked in for the mechanic to check it over and get pre-warned of any issues with time to fix them. Before driving a Motability car my own cars were always old enough that they were no longer on the scheduled service intervals, so I chose to have an annual service just before MOT time, and then I paid for half an hour of labour to look at all the MOT things and make sure that things that should move did move, and things which should be solid were solid.

I don't see the problem.

If it fails it fails and you get it fixed.

If you take it to the right place it WONT fail. :)

OK, so don't get it serviced, get it booked in for the mechanic to check it over and get pre-warned of any issues with time to fix them. Before driving a Motability car my own cars were always old enough that they were no longer on the scheduled service intervals, so I chose to have an annual service just before MOT time, and then I paid for half an hour of labour to look at all the MOT things and make sure that things that should move did move, and things which should be solid were solid.

So pay twice. The actual MOT and a private pre-MOT which does the same checks.

So pay twice. The actual MOT and a private pre-MOT which does the same checks.

But you're not necessarily paying the same price. Plus you have the time and option to take the car to wherever you like for the repairs, if the statement that you cannot take a failed MOT car off the testing premises is true.

Even with the added cost of the pre-test, it could work out cheaper if the test centre's parts and labour is expensive.

On the other hand if there is nothing wrong then it will work out at approximately twice the cost.

On the other hand if there is nothing wrong then it will work out at approximately twice the cost.

Like I said, it depends on the costs. A pre-test could cost as little as £10-£15, a proper MOT can be upto £55.