Changes to the MoT test from May

As the title says from May there are new changes to the MOT. You will no longer be able to drive your car if it goes for the MOT before it is due and fails the test,

In the past, as long as your car was deemed roadworthy, you could keep driving it even after it failed, provided your old MoT was still valid.

But now the second your car fails, it can be deemed "dangerous", and driving a car rated as that means a fine of up to £2,500 and three points on your licence. So if your car fails the test and you have taken it to a test centre that does not do repairs what do you do?

All MoT results are uploaded and stored centrally, so any "dangerous" faults go on the database straight away. So I would imagine there is every likelihood that you will be picked up by police cars having ANPR cameras on them if you drive it home, more money for the Government.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/simple-mistake-can-see-you-12291770

Mot will be be classed minor ,major and dangerous .if you get too many minors iirc that would cause car to fail as well and garage is not supposed to allow you to drive away if you get any dangerous marks on mot

Take it for a pre mot test before actually booking it for a real mot test....

I don't see the problem.

If it fails it fails and you get it fixed.

I don't see the problem.

If it fails it fails and you get it fixed.

The problem is if you get a dangerous mark the garage is supposed to refuse to let you drive it away. These changes have been know about since late January early Feb

The problem is if you get a dangerous mark the garage is supposed to refuse to let you drive it away. These changes have been know about since late January early Feb

So they fix it.

No problem.

So they fix it.

No problem.

The place I take my cars to for mot don't do repairs on cars only lcv so I have to take mine away but what I do is have a good look round car before I take it for mot. How hard can it be to check your lights ,wipers ,seatbelt operation /condition tyres etc beforehand

Edited by medusa
fixed tags

So they fix it.

No problem.

You're not allowed to drive it away and get it fixed elsewhere. They can over-charge you to fix it.

No problem (for them).

---------- Post added 02-04-2018 at 22:07 ----------

How hard can it be to check your lights ,wipers ,seatbelt operation /condition tyres etc beforehand

Totally worth doing. Last time mine had an MOT, I downloaded a pre-MOT checklist from somewhere and checked all the basics were okay.

......... the garage is supposed to refuse to let you drive it away. ..........

No. They are not.

Nor could they.

No. They are not.

Nor could they.

I've seen a comment on a site I go,on saying that and the person who posted that was/is an mot tester

I've seen a comment on a site I go,on saying that and the person who posted that was/is an mot tester

Don't believe everything that you read on the internet.

If you want to let a mechanic hold you to ransom, more fool you.

I'm asking an mot tester on the site I was referring to

---------- Post added 03-04-2018 at 09:46 ----------

I have asked an mot tester about not being able to remove it from station and the prohibition was discussed but it was not put through so yes you can drive it away even if it gets a dangerous fail