Deposit scheme on plastic bottles

Yeah it did, but, was that because people suddenly became environmentally conscious, or because they were having to pay for bags that had previously been free?

In terms of results, in this case less waste plastic bags in the environment, it doesn't matter much what the motivation is.

Yes, I've got much better things to do with my time than traipse between different supermarkets who pretty much all sell the same things.

I don't know anyone who doesn't shop at a single regular supermarket for the majority of their shopping.

You have to do when a certain supermarket (Morrisons ) doesn't stock what you want and don't forget some supermarkets stock salad cream and other sauces in glass bottles, better for the environment.

Just recently been introduced into australia,you take them to the waste recycling centre ,they are spread around the city .its about the size of a large skip,as soon as you start feeding them through the hole it clocks up every bottle you send through at the end you can either press todonate the money or you get a docket to to take to woolworths and get a cash refund, in oz every bottle or canis 10 cents but it doesnt accept wine bottles, not a fortune to be made but it adds up and the garbage bin is emptier

You have to do when a certain supermarket (Morrisons ) doesn't stock what you want and don't forget some supermarkets stock salad cream and other sauces in glass bottles, better for the environment.

Perhaps that happens, my OH sometimes wants some odd baking ingredient or something. But what we don't do is then buy a bunch of extra plastic bottles from the 2nd place.

So apart from these very unusual items, all our plastic bottles would still be from a single place (IF it's even required to take them back to where they came from, which would be a poor design of the scheme).

It’s debatable whether glass is actually better for the environment, I’ve read conflicting studies but the ones claiming plastic is actually better over all raises some good points.

I think it mainly comes down to the different weights of the product.

“A 2008 comparison of glass and plastic baby food jars, for example, found that the glass jars produce between a quarter and a third more greenhouse gases than plastic jars. In fact, the plastic jars bested the glass in almost every category: They released fewer carcinogens into the air, sent fewer pollutants into waterways and required less acreage. A year later, an assessment of soft drink containers also found plastic superior to glass. (The study was funded by a plastics manufacturer, but the company that conducted the review is independent and widely respected.) The results were broadly similar to the baby food study, with glass producing approximately four times as much greenhouse gas as plastic.”

The above quote does seem to say two different things however, one study said a quarter more greenhouses gasses and the other, which apparently said the same thing, says 4 times as much, which isn’t the same thing at all. Maybe Washington Post isn’t the most reliable source!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/why-glass-jars-arent-necessarily-better-for-the-environment-than-plastic-ones/2014/06/23/2deecfd8-f56f-11e3-a606-946fd632f9f1_story.html?utm_term=.e6977e9f1a32

If the glass containers were made, filled and bought locally, they would probably be better than plastic, equally if the glass was reused instead of being driven to be recycled.

That said, I think the bottle deposit scheme is more to do with litter and plastic entering the oceans etc, than about greenhouse gas emissions, and I do think it’s a great (and overdue) idea.

Edited by Robin-H

Interesting programme on Channel 4 showing how loads of plastic is exported to China. In addition, how little incentive there is for plastic reprocessing businesses to set up in the UK. There's more profit to be made from sending the plastic out of the UK than there is to be made from reprocessing it in the UK.

Perhaps that happens, my OH sometimes wants some odd baking ingredient or something. But what we don't do is then buy a bunch of extra plastic bottles from the 2nd place.

So apart from these very unusual items, all our plastic bottles would still be from a single place (IF it's even required to take them back to where they came from, which would be a poor design of the scheme).

I run an off licence, storage space is tight so what are shops like me supposed to do when we get returns that are not ours?

An example could be the local children go deposit bottle hunting and bring in a load of bottles they have found every other day?

Im going to end up paying out deposits that I haven’t even taken off customers.

I’m all for recycling but the govt is going to have to come up with a system that doesn’t cause inconvenience like space issues and being out of pocket for retailers.

Remember the good old days when we used to put our milk bottles out, they were then replaced by new filled ones.

[/b]

I run an off licence, storage space is tight so what are shops like me supposed to do when we get returns that are not ours?

What makes you think that small shops will have to accept returns?

An example could be the local children go deposit bottle hunting and bring in a load of bottles they have found every other day?

Im going to end up paying out deposits that I haven’t even taken off customers.

I’m all for recycling but the govt is going to have to come up with a system that doesn’t cause inconvenience like space issues and being out of pocket for retailers.

Easy enough isn't it, large machine in the carparks of big supermarkets that prints out cash back vouchers of some kind.

What makes you think that small shops will have to accept returns?

Easy enough isn't it, large machine in the carparks of big supermarkets that prints out cash back vouchers of some kind.

my bold=

Articles I read from retailer newsletters and news articles from sky news that is discussed here by sky news= https://news.sky.com/video/deposit-plan-raises-questions-for-small-shops-11307486

Edited by mafya

my bold=

Articles I read from retailer newsletters and news articles from sky news that is discussed here by sky news= https://news.sky.com/video/deposit-plan-raises-questions-for-small-shops-11307486

Numpties giving knee-jerk reactions out of ignorance.

Read the ministerial announcement and you will see that no mention is made regarding details.

A consultation is being started in order for all possibilities to be reviewed.